Shotgun rental - near 128/495/central NH (multi day)

Short notice, but was wondering if anyone knew of an individual or outfit that rents shotguns suitable for trap somewhere between Framingham and central NH? Heading up for a boys weekend, and folks are planning to shoot at Grafton County Fish and Game on Sunday morning. We have 7 shooters but only 3 guns at the moment, so another 2-3 would round things out nicely (one of the three is a 20 gauge). Most of the guys have some experience but nobody is a competitive shot so not looking for anything fancy. Checked with the range and they don't have anything available for rent. I have a MA LTC-A so options in MA are on the table.

Thanks for taking a look!
Dave

I don't think that is actually a thing. any place I have seen that rents guns is for use on the premises. I would suggest just buying some cheap ones
This.
I don’t know what gun dealer would ever let some random person “borrow/rent” a gun to take from their shop and return at a later date without actually purchasing it, 4473, FA10 etc

Maybe if you’re best friends with a dealer and they want you to test fire it or something? Even that I dunno lol.

I've got 2 HD shotguns you can rent. $350 each for the weekend. Hell, just keep them after that. ;)

Hah!!

This.
I don’t know what gun dealer would ever let some random person “borrow/rent” a gun to take from their shop and return at a later date without actually purchasing it, 4473, FA10 etc

Maybe if you’re best friends with a dealer and they want you to test fire it or something? Even that I dunno lol.

Fair enough, I know plenty of ranges will rent for on-site use but wasn't sure what the trap/skeet landscape looked like, since those tend to be done at more private locations vs public ranges. I guess I was hoping there might be a NES member somewhere near the range that might be willing to meet up in exchange for a couple boxes of ammo or something similar. I hadn't considered the regulatory side of it as it relates to an FFL... This makes sense, thanks!

I've got 2 HD shotguns you can rent. $350 each for the weekend. Hell, just keep them after that. ;)

That seems to be about the price to buy a Mossberg 500 from a place like Bass Pro.

OP could easily buy 2, then resell them at a loss later on.

Only other simple solution is to find more people to go who all have multiple shotguns that they will lend out.

One idea would be to buy a couple used shotguns either here or at a dealer and then sell them back when your done. You’d have to front the money but you probably wouldn’t end up losing much.

I smell a business opportunity, I think Newton would be a good central location for a gun rental shop…”rent a shotgun and get a handgun 50% off any one day rental!”
Always check the gun for "count" scratches to determine body-count...

am i the only one who cannot comprehend the point of going to the range to shoot (competitively, potentially) a somebody else`s weapon?

or is it an another 'teaching chinese businessmen of how to shoot' thing?
if shooters there are absolute beginners even without their own shotties - however is that possible - a one gun for 7 people will be safer anyway.

Just go buy some shotguns. Sounds like you guys are just going to hack at it so you don't need a BT99.

I personally wouldn't lend out even a cheap shotgun to anybody except my closest shooting friends and I highly doubt they'd even ask to borrow one. Like me, they probably would just go buy it.

If your driver gets cold feet look me up. I got high score in Grand Theft Auto and I have watched every Fast and Furious at least a dozen times. I got my own mask and everything, unless you guys have a theme going. I can work with that.

am i the only one who cannot comprehend the point of going to the range to shoot (competitively, potentially) a somebody else`s weapon?

or is it an another 'teaching chinese businessmen of how to shoot' thing?
if shooters there are absolute beginners even without their own shotties - however is that possible - a one gun for 7 people will be safer anyway.
I advise people that are looking to get into Trap to try a bunch of others' guns. It's like buying boots - try before you buy.

My kid has a nice Browning Trap gun. I hate it.

Hah!!

Fair enough, I know plenty of ranges will rent for on-site use but wasn't sure what the trap/skeet landscape looked like, since those tend to be done at more private locations vs public ranges. I guess I was hoping there might be a NES member somewhere near the range that might be willing to meet up in exchange for a couple boxes of ammo or something similar. I hadn't considered the regulatory side of it as it relates to an FFL... This makes sense, thanks!

It’s also a liability issue criminally and civilly. A person loans a gun to someone they really don’t know, if that gun is used in a crime the gun owner will be investigated criminally and could face a civil lawsuit. The probably wouldn’t face criminal charges but it would be a headache and probably result in lawyer expenses.

If someone accidentally shoots someone are your get together, a the gun owner could face a civil suit.

That’s a lot of liability for a few bucks . On premises rentals, the rental place has insurance for this, you sign a waver and they have control of the environment.

That’s a lot of liability for a few bucks . On premises rentals, the rental place has insurance for this, you sign a waver and they have control of the environment.

This, 100%. I'm still a relative newcomer to this awesome hobby and didn't (still don't) understand all the ins and outs, but this totally makes sense. Hadn't considered the liability insurance that the on-premise must need to carry.

Appreciate all the input everyone, I have some clear next steps, thank you.

Is it even legal to rent out a gun in Mass, without the appropriate licensure I mean...

Is happily LEND a gun to a friend, not sure as a private individual it would be so that smart to rent it out though.

Besides, my Daisy isn't really up to hunting specs. (Except for squirrels, of course)

Appreciate all the input everyone, I have some clear next steps, thank you.
If you were going to a local club of your own that had shotgunning sports,
you could probably scrape together a lot of guns (and unsolicited advice)
for shooting on-site there. Establish a relationship with the Trap guys,
and supply your own ammo. Because enthusiastic Trap guys
frequently do everything but flag down passing autos
to play "do you have a moment to learn about my shooting sport?".

Just don't make it look like a "cigars and bourbon before the shooting" deal.
Include the local club's guys in some kind of your party's fun afterwards -
not a standoffish shoot'n'scoot - so the locals don't feel like they've been monetized somehow.
You want to learn and build - not look from the outside like a
fraternity parachuted in.

Maybe let go of the Grafton club angle -
stop at Manchester Firing Line(?) on the way north,
and shoot some boolit guns at paper instead of busting clays?

This is all above my pay grade,
and I'm not trying to turn your vacation topsy-turvy -
just saying that some solution
mightn't be totally out of the time zone.

there are other ways to acquire a shotty...

View attachment 609304
That doesn't look legit. I could be wrong, though. A) The guy with the shotgun puts it right up to the guy's face, practically asking him to take it away, and, 2) the guy who gets the gun taken away immediately runs away, instead of struggling for the gun for even a second. Again, I could be wrong. I do not know the clips history, maybe everyone else knows it as an obvious fake.

Back
Top Bottom