• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shotgun Reloading Press

I'm considering the Dillon SL 900 and the P/W PLATINUM 2000 SERIES presses for 12 ga. I would get the casefeeder for whichever I decide to purchase. Which would you recommend I get? I've heard the SL 900 really isn't all that great and that the P/W is the cadillac of shotgun presses.

I've got a P&W 800B sitting on my loading bench right now. It works great when tuned but needs attention to keep running perfectly.
I've seen the SL-900 in operation at Dillon's showroom and it seems slick.

That said, I haven't reloaded a shot-shell in about two years. The price of components, especially lead has made it a deal breaker.

I now buy 12 ga by the case when on sale at Dicks.

Have you checked out MEC? How much does a dillion go for? I have a MEC 600 junior single stage and a MEC 650 progressive and they are well used and work the nuts. Either one of those can load steel and 3in shells. the 600 new is $150 and the 650 i think is around 250, either one can be picked up used for half that price.

I have a Mec 9000 on an auto-mate base and love it. I have reloaded 1000's of shells with bearly an issue.....the automate lets me crank out about 500 shells in an hour if im in a good groove[grin]

1K, holy shnikes, batman. Did you check out the MEC 9000?

Yes I did. I have done a little bit of research and think that I might just go with the P/W 2000 with casefeeder for christmas this year. Its suppose to be the Cadillac of shotgun presses.

MEC Grabber

Let me know if you have any interest in a MEC Grabber 12 ga. Have one that I no longer use since I've retired to 20 ga and 410 bore. The thing does crank out the shotshells........too efficiently for my slow moving self. With it would go the Universal shotshell bar, 2 small and 2 large MEC bottles, about 500 wads and approximately 350 once shot shells....for $200...with manual and other assorted stuff...........like a MEC 600 Jr., 20 ga I'd throw in.

Last edited:
every loader I have seen needs it's special attention. Follow instructions and take your time they all produce great shells. I have 2 9000 and a 650. I have sold all my other shotgun loaders. MEC to me is by far the easier of them to get working well. I have seen the dillon with case feeder. You need some serious head room for this set up. It is tall and bulky. BUT I tell you it was cranking out the shells with some great crimps. Only short fall is the case feeder does not hold alot of hulls. I find myself using the 650 more than the 9000. It just matches my speed. I still crank out 100 in short time.
There is also more to go wrong on the 9000 and the dillon as far as more moving parts.
I also got to see a RCBS The Grand in action. Nice loader also. Owner told me it had its issues at first and some parts need replacement in short time. RCBS took care of it and got him running good. They all need some general maintenance I give all mine a good cleaning and lube, snug up nuts bolts every 3k rounds or so.

I also seen the spolar gold loader with hydrolic set up....now that was nice.

Last edited:
As much as I love to drink the blue cool-ade, I like MEC. The Dillon is a metallic press converted to load shotshells, the MEC is a shotshell loader, that's all they do. Still can't beat the Dillon warranty, but friends of mine with the SL900 say that if you're going to loAd anything but AA hulls you're going to have problems. I've never seen a P/W press, so I know nothing about them. I load on a old Sizemaster right now, when my better half allocates more stimulus to my reloading needs, I want to upgrade to a Grabber or a 9000.
But the Sizemaster keeps me busy in the winter loading all my hulls for next year.

Only issue I have with MEC 9000 or anything that has the collet resizer. can be a PITA. wish they made a ring resizer adapter for the 9000. other than that. MECs are abudent and can be found at great prices used. most just need a good clean and replacement of normal wear and tear items.

I bought a used (like new!) MEC 9000 off of eBay a whle back, and love that thing. Like all reloading machines, it needed some settings adjusted, but after making the appropriate adjustments, it works sweet.

I actually sold a MEC 600 because it didn't have the brass resizing feature, which I needed for the rounds to fit my Remington 1100.

I bought a used (like new!) MEC 9000 off of eBay a whle back, and love that thing. Like all reloading machines, it needed some settings adjusted, but after making the appropriate adjustments, it works sweet.

I actually sold a MEC 600 because it didn't have the brass resizing feature, which I needed for the rounds to fit my Remington 1100.

I actually went from a Mec Jr to a 650 and kept the Jr to do all my resizing for the 650. on the Jr i could do 4 boxes in an hour now i can do 4 boxes in about 20 minutes.

Furious, Don't discount the Mec because it doesn't have a case feed. I can reload about 350 rounds in an hour on my 9000. It is 12ga so its easier to handle everything (hulls,wads)and it runs pretty smooth for its age. Also I will say that Mecs customer service is as good as Dillons.

I had a PW several years ago. The thing is built like a tank and works very nicely.
It is a fine piece of equipment.

How many shells do you shoot in a week? I still have the Mec jr never have had a dud shell as opposed to some of the guys I shoot with that use the progressive machines. IMHO you have to shoot a lot of shells in a year to justify the big money of the progressive loader.

How many shells do you shoot in a week? I still have the Mec jr never have had a dud shell as opposed to some of the guys I shoot with that use the progressive machines. IMHO you have to shoot a lot of shells in a year to justify the big money of the progressive loader.

A few years ago I reloaded well over 10,000 rounds a year. And shot mostly factory shells at competitions or tough sporting clays courses.

I'm considering the Dillon SL 900 and the P/W PLATINUM 2000 SERIES presses for 12 ga. I would get the casefeeder for whichever I decide to purchase. Which would you recommend I get? I've heard the SL 900 really isn't all that great and that the P/W is the cadillac of shotgun presses.

Don't know about he Dillon but the P-W presses were Cadillacs. Personally I use the MEC progressive press for 12, 16 and 20 ga and the single stage press for 28 ga and 410.

I've got a P&W 800B sitting on my loading bench right now. It works great when tuned but needs attention to keep running perfectly.
I've seen the SL-900 in operation at Dillon's showroom and it seems slick.

That said, I haven't reloaded a shot-shell in about two years. The price of components, especially lead has made it a deal breaker.

I now buy 12 ga by the case when on sale at Dicks.

I have a PW "Size O Matic" 900 in excellent condition. Does anyone know what this press is worth?

If anyone knows of a P/W 800+ currently for sale please let me know. I'm ready to buy one here in the next 2-4 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom