• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shotgun recommendation ?

Hey all,

Looking to go turkey hunting this year, and need a shotgun.

I am looking for hunting certainly, but would like to use it for trap if possible.

Thoughts anyone ?

Thanks !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are not familiar with shotguns, go to your club, and see if the friendly Trapezoids will let you try a few.

No fit, no hit.

If you want one for both turkey and Trap, remember, you will shoot hundreds of shots at Trap foe every shot you take a a turkey.

Make sure you can change chokes.

Oh, did I mention you should try some out? [laugh]

The proof* of the pudding is in the eating. (that's the original aphorism)
The proof* of the shotgun is in the shooting.

*Proof in this context means, "test."

I have had two mossbergs, both had to go back, one they could not fix and gave me a full refund.
That's funny, I had an 870 and sold it because it didn't work and started rusting within a month of ownership. I was all set to come in here and say that I'd try a mossberg if I got another shotgun.

That's funny, I had an 870 and sold it because it didn't work and started rusting within a month of ownership. I was all set to come in here and say that I'd try a mossberg if I got another shotgun.

Yeah they have the nick name of rustingtons...
But over all a decent gun....maybe not in the past 10 years though.

Yeah they have the nick name of rustingtons...
But over all a decent gun....maybe not in the past 10 years though.
Mine was new production purchased at Dick's. Express model. Traded it for an sks, which was also sold....and replaced by a quality AR upper. I'm happier now, but I want that sks back!

500, 870 or Ithaca 37 - Something in good condition made in the late 70's, early 80's.
You wont have any issues....Mod. barrel and one in full choke. Easy to find.

Mine was new production purchased at Dick's. Express model. Traded it for an sks, which was also sold....and replaced by a quality AR upper. I'm happier now, but I want that sks back!

Don't ever sell an SKS. Ever!

Op......Mossy 500. Hunted for years with mine. Taken every game imaginable with the one gun duck hare rabbit squirrel pheasant deer.....And shoot trap with it too......Probably 4-6 times a month.

With shotguns it's all about what fits you. It was already mentioned, but go out to your local club during open hours for trap and let them know you're looking for a shotgun and ask to try out a few. I'm sure you'll get more than a few people offering to let you try theirs.

Mossberg 500 and Remington 870 are classic choices and if they fit then I would go that route. I have a Winchester SXP which I actually like a lot, but has had some minor problems, and I have far more expensive Brownings. I still shoot trap with the cheep Winchester on occasion, and it's what I would choose to take turkey hunting. If I drop it in a mud puddle or wack it off a branch, it's no big deal. The synthetic stock doesn't care.

With shotguns it's all about what fits you. It was already mentioned, but go out to your local club during open hours for trap and let them know you're looking for a shotgun and ask to try out a few. I'm sure you'll get more than a few people offering to let you try theirs.

Mossberg 500 and Remington 870 are classic choices and if they fit then I would go that route. I have a Winchester SXP which I actually like a lot, but has had some minor problems, and I have far more expensive Brownings. I still shoot trap with the cheep Winchester on occasion, and it's what I would choose to take turkey hunting. If I drop it in a mud puddle or wack it off a branch, it's no big deal. The synthetic stock doesn't care.

This^

I actually find myself a better hunter with my Mossberg 500 than when I bring the "high dollar" guns. My mossy looks like it's been dragged behind a truck on a gravel road! But I don't think twice about pushing through the thick shit when hunting cotton tail snowshoe hare or small game! When I was bringing the expensive furniture I found myself sticking to the trails.......Where the game ain't!!! I now love that old mossy

I would go with my all time favorite, it's a multi task tool, THE VEPR 12. need I say any more. and you can't just have one.

If you are not familiar with shotguns, go to your club, and see if the friendly Trapezoids will let you try a few.

^this. I have fallen away from competitive Trap but still jump in every now and then with a full-choke Beretta O/U or a Benelli M4. First time I brought it, I heard, "Hey, who brought the street-sweeper?" Cracked me up.

Back
Top Bottom