Shotgun ranges and noob recommendations

I'm new to shooting, and I'm wondering if ranges allow shotguns on their outdoor rifle ranges. I just got my first gun, which is a Mossberg 500 12ga with an 18.5 inch barrel, so I'm not interested in trap or skeet but just trying out some different ammo and seeing their spread at different ranges. Do ranges generally only allow shotguns for trap or skeet?

Also, do any of you live near Lowell? What ranges should I check out and why? I'm interested in low yearly membership fees, 100m (or possibly more) rifle ranges, and not needing a lifeguard on duty. Anything within 45 mins I don't mind driving.

It would depend on the individual range to set their own rules but if be willing to bet most rifle ranges allow shotgun ammo, especially considering shotguns are used for hunting

Just don't destroy the target holders lol.

THIS^

Had someone "pattern" their shotgun at my club on the 25 foot pistol range and destroyed the plywood back and posts. Did not make for happy club leadership.

As far as ranges.......most gun clubs will allow shotguns on the rifle range for patterning and zeroing for slugging. There are plenty of clubs around but do your research first cuz there are many clubs right now that require baby sitters these days.......mine does not..... Its small.....quiet.......easy to deal with!

Last edited:
It depends on the club whether or not you can shoot a shotgun on an outdoor range. If you just want to try different ammo and pattern your gun you should be able to put a patterning board on any skeet or trap range and check it out. Usually there is someone else who has been meaning to pattern their gun too. Ha. Just ask first.

Well, we allow shotguns on the rifle range and one of our combo pistol/rifle/shotgun pits. We also have a steel pattern "board" near the trap/skeet ranges. You simply paint the steel and then shoot at it. There are yardages marked off as well.

Not close to Lowell however.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom