• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shotgun questions

I'm looking to pick up a shotgun to use for pretty much everything, turkey, deer, waterfowl, upland game, and maybe the occasional round of non-competitive trap. Having said that, I realize there isn't really a "do everything" gun but I'm trying to find something that will be a good compromise.

I've been mulling over Remington 870, 1100, and 11-87 and am currently leaning toward one of the semi's but my mind isn't totally made up.

What are your thoughts on these, and even on others that won't break the bank?

Also, being particularly new to turkey hunting, how important is a camo shotgun? Do your chances for success decrease a lot without it?

I bought a Mossberg 500 for HD and i regret it. Wish I picked up a semi. Go with semi. I'm sure you've heard that guys around here aren't a big fan of racking a shotgun to scare away intruders so there goes that. You can use a semi for multiple purposes so stick to that choice if you can. Remingtons are great shotguns. If you can go synthetic I'd recommend that because you don't want to be carrying around a wooden stocked shotgun for hours at a time. I'll let the other guys answer the rest of your questions and possibly correct some of my suggestions. Good Luck.

Addition: If buying a new shotgun try getting the shotgun with two seperate barrels in the sale. Those tend to be the best deals for new shotguns.

I can say that for waterfoul (and other winged species!), especially if your going to be hunting something you may be taking more than one of (not sure on the MA rules on daily/seasonal limits), a semi would be the better option.

Semis are great, and Remington makes a good gun, but make sure it will take a 3" shell for waterfowl, and cycle a 2 3/4 lighter low brass game load. My old Mossberg requires separate barrels, a real PITA at times. Also make sure your choke tubes can handle steel shot for waterfowl.

Actually, the shotguns you named are do everything guns. I'm partial to the 870 and 11-87 myself. But, the 1100 is a fine shotgun as well.
There isn't anything you can't do with those shotguns.

I have a wingmaster(12ga), express magnum combo(12ga), 11-87 sportsman(20ga), an 870 express(20ga) and I'm borrowing my dad's 11-87 premier(12ga.)

With the right combination of load and barrel you can hunt 'anything.' And, even shoot 'competitive' trap. I've seen plenty of 870's break 25 clays.

As far as semi vs pump, that's like ak vs ar or 9mm vs 45... it's preference. I'd say get both. There is a little more cleaning to do with the 11-87 and a few minor gas system parts that 'will' wear out over time depending on use but they're both reliable and utterly versatile.
I've seen jams on many types of shotgun from 870 and BPS's to 11-87 and montefeltro's to citori's some are unavoidable, some operator error, some because the gun or load sucks but I've had nothing but smooth sailing over thousands of rounds through mine.

One thing to keep in mind is that the synthetic stocks wear very well but balance, point, and swing a little different than a wood stock. Not worse, just different because the stock and fore end are much lighter than wood.

Bottom line is you can't go wrong with any or all of those guns. Aftermarket parts abound for all models and OEM parts are really easy to come by through places like brownells, midway and even remington(I've had really good experiences with their support.)
Best of luck in your search.

Camo is not critical but anything that keeps you from inadvertently turning a bird around is nice to have. No your chances don't decrease alot without it. Plenty of turkeys have been and will be taken by shotguns without a camo pattern. The key thing is getting all the basics down well.

Last edited:
I like the 870 for pump guns, nothing against Mossbergs, I just like 870s better.

If you want a semi, you can usually pick up an A5 for pretty cheap money. It will be a shooter, not a collector, but the birds don't seem to notice the difference.

for waterfowl, a semi is nice... actually for everything imo [grin]

one thing that irks me about the pump is that the damn thing clacks against the gun at the wrong time in the woods....

I am a Semi-Auto guy but that being said If I could only have 1 shot gun it would be a pump gun. They are lighter, cheaper, and more reliable. I would go with an 870.... Endless barrels and stocks and accessories

Thanks for all the input, it's great to hear peoples thoughts on the matter.

I went looking the other day and while I'm leaning toward the 11-87 the 870 is definitely a lot easier on the wallet.

Camo is not critical but anything that keeps you from inadvertently turning a bird around is nice to have. No your chances don't decrease alot without it. Plenty of turkeys have been and will be taken by shotguns without a camo pattern. The key thing is getting all the basics down well.
Thanks for all the info.

I was asking about the camo because while I don't want to give up any advantage in the turkey woods I'm also not sure how I feel about showing up on the trap range with a camo gun. Just vanity I guess. I'll probably go with it since it may help me in the woods but won't hurt me on the trap range. It may give me more incentive to practice, if you can break 25 clays who cares what the gun looks like.

You got me thinking though, if I don't get the basics down (calling etc) I won't have to worry about any turkey getting close enough for camo/non-camo to make a difference.

Thanks for all the info.

I was asking about the camo because while I don't want to give up any advantage in the turkey woods I'm also not sure how I feel about showing up on the trap range with a camo gun. Just vanity I guess. I'll probably go with it since it may help me in the woods but won't hurt me on the trap range. It may give me more incentive to practice, if you can break 25 clays who cares what the gun looks like.

You got me thinking though, if I don't get the basics down (calling etc) I won't have to worry about any turkey getting close enough for camo/non-camo to make a difference.

I wouldn't worry about the opinions of any trap snobs. Some people are really really serious about trap and their gear other people just enjoy it [grin]

We have a really good non-judgmental group at the Westford Sportsmen's Club that shoot on Sunday at 1pm. Sunday trap is open to the public so feel free to come on over if it's in your area.

another shotgun question?

Wanting to get into occasional trap shooting (for fun) need to purchase a shotgun.My only option is used,would and older remington 11 12ga 28 inch be a good choice for me.I have an opportunity to pick on up for $150.I do enjoy a good antique?

I've had a Mossberg 500 for 24+- years. Ducks, geese, upland bird, skeet...
Now I do have a semi, never use it. If I want it dead and meat on the table, the Mossberg comes out. I need to replace 1 stop in the cocking mechanism. After 24 years of hard field use I have no reason to complain. I think I paid $125.00 back then. The camo pattern looks more like a WW2 BDU. Great old gun!

Ditto on the Ithacas. If you can find a good used 37 made in Ithaca you'll be all set.

How did people ever shoot turkeys before the invention of camo green guns, thumb hole stocks and fancy sites??

Growing up, before I had the chance to get an Ithaca, My mossberg 500 killed turkeys, grouse, rabbits, woodcock, deer, pigeons, ducks, geese and several types of varmits without a problem and that was with a modified barrel. A good 12 pump with screw in chokes and you are good to go...

I wouldn't worry about the opinions of any trap snobs. Some people are really really serious about trap and their gear other people just enjoy it [grin]

We have a really good non-judgmental group at the Westford Sportsmen's Club that shoot on Sunday at 1pm. Sunday trap is open to the public so feel free to come on over if it's in your area.
Actually, I've been a member at WSC for a couple years now. Many times I've planned to get over to the trap ramge while they're shooting, just to check it out, but I've never made it yet.

If it's in your budget, look at a Benelli...If not and you're looking for an ATV, it's hard to beat an 1187 SuperMag. We have several at DSG and they are quite nice...Deer barrels are now available for them, (albeit pricey), but you can truly adapt this shotgun for any purpose...I just sold one of those and a Franchi Diamond Semi to two buddies gun shopping. Both guys stopped by for more ammo yesterday and they both were beaming about their purchase. Both the Franchi/Benelli and the Remington 1187SM are close in price and equally sweet..

Last edited:
Actually, I've been a member at WSC for a couple years now. Many times I've planned to get over to the trap ramge while they're shooting, just to check it out, but I've never made it yet.

Then get on up! It's a little cold today but I'll be there. I'm bringing two 870's in 12ga but I can bring any of my Remmy's if you want to give 'em a try.

**eta** Don't worry about ammo. I can cover you on that front(target loads galore in my bundle.) Just the $2.50 house fee per 25 is all you'd need.

Last edited:
If it's in your budget, look at a Benelli...If not and you're looking for an ATV, it's hard to beat an 1187 SuperMag. We have several at DSG and they are quite nice...Deer barrels are now available for them, (albeit pricey), but you can truly adapt this shotgun for any purpose...I just sold one of those and a Franchi Diamond Semi two two buddies gun shopping. Both guys stopped by for more ammo yesterday and they both were beaming about their purchase. Both the Franchi/Benelli and the Remington 1187SM are close in price and equally sweet..

+1 Well said. IMNSHO, your opinions match mine, therefore, you're right [wink]

+1 Well said. IMNSHO, your opinions match mine, therefore, you're right [wink]

Great, (or even not so great) minds think alike... [cheers]. The Franchis are sometimes overlooked and shouldn;t be. The new, (not old) Stoeger 2000 series are also nice. Since Benelli acquired Franchi and Stoeger, a little bit of Benelli has been popping up in both makes. At $549.00, the new Stoeger 2000 series, (again not the old ones) are as close as you can get to a Benelli, (inertia drive system) for under a grand.

Great, (or even not so great) minds think alike... [cheers]. The Franchis are sometimes overlooked and shouldn;t be. The new, (not old) Stoeger 2000 series are also nice. Since Benelli acquired Franchi and Stoeger, a little bit of Benelli has been popping up in both makes. At $549.00, the new Stoeger 2000 series, (again not the old ones) are as close as you can get to a Benelli, (inertia drive system) for under a grand.

And, I'd have no problem fielding a stoeger and doing to it what I've done to every other benelli based product I've had my hands on... beating it senseless.

And, I'd have no problem fielding a stoeger and doing to it what I've done to every other benelli based product I've had my hands on... beating it senseless.

Amen. The old Stoeger F2000 series are a pass in my book. We have several still in stock and they're a bit finicky - some work great, others do not. We just got in a new Stoeger Waterfowl/Turkey combo and it's so sweet as to be hard to believe. In typical Stoeger fashion, it comes with a full compliment of choke tubes - I mean every choke you can imagine! I've always given Stoeger props for adding chokes to their guns and this has not changed. It also has the Benelli pistol grip stock and the camo job is super, (thought they got a twinge on the bolt). The feel of the action is identical to it's higher end cousins from Franchi and Benelli. The only real difference I can see is build. The Stoegers use a heavy machined receiver - the Franchi/Benelli receivers are lighter and obviously more finely machined. If I still hunted, I'd have this gun in my safe right now.

Back
Top Bottom