• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shotgun purchase!?! What would you do?

Long story short:

I'm in the market for my first O/U. It seems a gunsmith I'm working with on a separate project, has a old project gun, that he thought would be perfect for me. The gun is an original Browning Superposed Lighting 12ga. with fixed chokes (stripped down and in parts). He is including in the price, finishing the raw custom stock from a blank he has ready to go, so it would be a custom replica and custom fit or he would tweak the bright blonde competition stock that was on it from previous owner. There was also an additional set of furniture in the old dusty case that may be the original wood. He says the gun is very tight and guarantees it will be in perfect condition for shooting. Receiver and barrels looked in good shape to me and on par with a gun that was well used, but not abused. A shooter, which i'd be fine with. Also I'm a big guy and the custom stock and fit is appealing.

He asking $1600. As a whole do you think this is a decent deal?

Or should I be getting the used Baretta 686 onyx, I came across the other day for just a few bucks more? Or a brand new Lamber 2097 sporting at Cabella's and use some of the $900 in savings to get a custom fit?

It would be fun to be shooting a piece of history, but then again I think of the versatility of screw in chokes. Primary use would be weekly skeet with some sporting clays on a occasion.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
–A.

What do you plan to do with that gun? Fixed chokes are fine for a specific discipline or hunting purpose, but you are limited. Superposed have collector value but probably not this parts gun. $1600 is a fine point for a used Browning or Beretta, leave the Lamber alone.

I bought a Beretta Silver Pigeon 1 28" barrel with adjustable mobile chokes for $1600 including a hard case. Kittery has lots of options.

Save the project gun for someone else, look at used Browning Citori's and Beretta's, they are out there in your price range.

Buying someone else's basket case is seldom good.

The very best thing you can do is to try A LOT of guns, until you figure out for yourself what is best for you.

Picked up a new 2097 for $599 right b4 Christmas, so the $900 savings you mention is compared to the Browning.

$1600 is a fine point for a used Browning or Beretta, leave the Lamber alone.

Fit is everything in shotguns but DO NOT discount the Lanber , it is one of the best shotgun values on the market. Lots of people have them, and love them. Don't let the price fool you, it is a quality firearm. $1600 is a lot of money for a person getting into the game. Buy something affordable, then upgrade as your skills develop.

Check out the new Ruger Red label, they can be purchased for under 1K, I believe. Don't forget, fit is everything, if it doesn't feel right when its shouldered, keep looking.

Last edited:
Long story short:

I'm in the market for my first O/U. It seems a gunsmith I'm working with on a separate project, has a old project gun, that he thought would be perfect for me. The gun is an original Browning Superposed Lighting 12ga. with fixed chokes (stripped down and in parts). He is including in the price, finishing the raw custom stock from a blank he has ready to go, so it would be a custom replica and custom fit or he would tweak the bright blonde competition stock that was on it from previous owner. There was also an additional set of furniture in the old dusty case that may be the original wood. He says the gun is very tight and guarantees it will be in perfect condition for shooting. Receiver and barrels looked in good shape to me and on par with a gun that was well used, but not abused. A shooter, which i'd be fine with. Also I'm a big guy and the custom stock and fit is appealing.

He asking $1600. As a whole do you think this is a decent deal?

Or should I be getting the used Baretta 686 onyx, I came across the other day for just a few bucks more? Or a brand new Lamber 2097 sporting at Cabella's and use some of the $900 in savings to get a custom fit?

It would be fun to be shooting a piece of history, but then again I think of the versatility of screw in chokes. Primary use would be weekly skeet with some sporting clays on a occasion.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
–A.

When you say broken down in parts do you mean the reciever guts are all apart. Or is the barrel assembly just disconnected from reciever and butt stock removed
1600 for a complete superposed is not a terrible price BUT one wonders why such a nice shotgun is sitting in pieces?
Personally if all the original wood and parts are good its odd this Smith didnt toss it together and unload it. Superposed sell easily for the right price.
Unless the Smith is a shotgun stock fitter don't waist your time with the "fitted" stock....what are you going to get it fit for? Trap? Skeet? General purpose. All have their own little fitting issues. Not knowing the choke restriction could be set up for skeet with cyl or imp cylinder. There are better guns than a Smith special for the 1600.00 range. If your serious about getting a custom fit you have opptions.
Check out coals gunsmithing in ME or precision fit stocks for many shotguns. Endless adjustments. Love mine.

Here's what I know of the gun. The receiver seemed pretty together but was just detached from both the stocks and barrels and the Superposed inner workings were different then the box locks I've seen before. More moving parts? There were 3 sets of stock/forearms in the case. The story the smith told me on the gun itself, was it was owned by a competition skeet shooter, who had brought it to him to have some stock work done. For some reason this guy decided he didn't want it anymore and bought another gun, so the smith bought it off him. He hated the blonde comp stock with adjustable comb and old Morgan pad, etc and basically made a new one, which he didn't cut down or finish yet, so is still 17" long and rough. Smith is a shotgun stock fitter and wood repair. He is currently fixing a stock for me.

I also thought the barrels were interesting. Only the bottom barrel is ported and there is this interesting front sight aid. Its like 4-6" metal mini "L" mounted on the top of the rib on the left edge slight higher the the white bead. He says its an old school sight that allows for both eyes open shooting but eliminates the double vision. Never seen it before, but it seemed to work when I held it up.

Honestly seems like a cool gun and would fun to own, but limited to only skeet. Plus, worry that it is 50-60 years old and since I am planning running a shit ton of shells through what ever I get, I worry about a gun that old. So leaning toward getting the Lanber, if I can find one. I mean for the price, I can beat the bag out it, shoot all the games and have it as 2nd guest gun when I upgrade down the line.

Thanks for all the comments!!!

Personally the blond stock sounds like a way to go. already has a asdjustable comb. you could get a "bump buster" which is adjustable for length of pull. quick easy route.
old brownings if taken care of will out last a few generations.
if you plan on shooting alot of clays.....a newergun might be more viable.? maybe you can post some pics.
If your going to use it for multiple games you might want removable chokes. maybe post some pics

$1600 is a fine point for a used Browning or Beretta, leave the Lamber alone.

Fit is everything in shotguns but DO NOT discount the Lanber , it is one of the best shotgun values on the market. Lots of people have them, and love them. Don't let the price fool you, it is a quality firearm. $1600 is a lot of money for a person getting into the game. Buy something affordable, then upgrade as your skills develop.

Check out the new Ruger Red label, they can be purchased for under 1K, I believe. Don't forget, fit is everything, if it doesn't feel right when its shouldered, keep looking.

Here is a test for your Lambier. Set up a target 16 yards away from a shooting bench. Load low recoil rifled slugs in the upper and lower barrel with skeet or IC chokes. Shoot the upper barrel, rest and then the lower. Measure the distance between the holes from the upper and lower barrels. Repeat.

I've tested half a dozen Lambiers and even more Mossburg Silver Reserves and have had mixed results. The point of aim of both barrels vary wildly, half tested within an inch or so, half 3 or more inches apart. Barrel regulation on sub $1K shotguns are hit or miss. I've tested dozens of Browning and Beretta's and have never seen a problem.

Before you hit the clay fields with your shotgun, check the barrel regulation and point of aim. You don't shoot a rifle without checking the zero of the scope do you?

Here is a test for your Lambier. Set up a target 16 yards away from a shooting bench. Load low recoil rifled slugs in the upper and lower barrel with skeet or IC chokes. Shoot the upper barrel, rest and then the lower. Measure the distance between the holes from the upper and lower barrels. Repeat.

I've tested half a dozen Lambiers and even more Mossburg Silver Reserves and have had mixed results. The point of aim of both barrels vary wildly, half tested within an inch or so, half 3 or more inches apart. Barrel regulation on sub $1K shotguns are hit or miss. I've tested dozens of Browning and Beretta's and have never seen a problem.

Before you hit the clay fields with your shotgun, check the barrel regulation and point of aim. You don't shoot a rifle without checking the zero of the scope do you?

Which is why some people say: Buy whatever shotgun you like, as long as it starts with a "B"

Very interesting, Rep308!! I didn't know you could shoot a slug out of anything but a slug barrel.
And I guess it never occurred to me that the barrels would or could be out of alignment. As a matter course, I would just pattern the gun a few times from 16 and 35-40 yrds and figure that would show me my point of aim. Never occurred to me to do it with a slug.

From what I've read the Lanber's are a decent gun. But also heard Lanber is having some financial issues and may go out of business. I certainly won't get one unless I can shoulder it. So a trip to Cabella's in Scarborough ME is my near future, which means I'll have to stop in Kittery, too. If that doesn't work out, then I'll definitely be getting a "B" gun when the tax refund rolls in.

Also you have to understand that I currently shoot both trap and skeet with an 70's era 870 wingmaster TC. Damn thing fits me like a glove and I routinely break 22-24 in trap and swap out the barrel and go 18-20+ in skeet. But with the amount I shoot and cold conditions, have taken it's toll on the old fancy wood. Hence the stock repair with the 'smith. Can't wait to see what I can do with a proper skeet gun and just antsy to shoot.

Thanks again for all the tips and links!!!

A double barrel shotgun, Over/Under or side by side, are basically two 26"-32" tubes soldered together connected to a receiver. The soldering process is highly manual, the barrels are assembled onto a jig and a person has to solder them together.

A double barrel gun is considered well regulated if both barrels have the same approximate point of aim. This is determined by either firing rifled slugs through both barrels at the same target with open chokes, or using #8 shot through full chokes at a target 16 yards from a rifle rest.

I'm the gun guy on a youth shotgun team and have tested about 40 guns over the past 6 years. Browning and Beretta's are all within an 1" which is probably the edge of user error and the ability to measure. I had one silver reserve shoot the top barrel dead on with the bottom barrel 3" low and 3" left. Mossburg said it was 'in spec', I couldn't hit doubles trap targets to save my life. My team has a Lambier that shoots dead on, about half the ones I've tested have been over 2" off.

I offered to buy a Silver Reserve from a board member here, only if it shot 1" through the test. He agreed. The gun tested way off, he thought that I was full of it and let him test it. I didn't buy the gun.

This is my experience from testing, you never get a test before you buy.

I didn't believe this until I started testing for myself, again would you go hunting with a rifle you didn't sight in? Why would you shoot a shotgun that you don't know were it shoots?

Picked up a new 2097 for $599 right b4 Christmas, so the $900 savings you mention is compared to the Browning.

I did the same. Couldn't be happier!! 5 screw in chokes and all. I got mine from CDNN. Can't go wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought I'd write a quick follow up, just in case anyone else picks up a Lanber...

Went to Maine last month and came home with a Lanber 2097 30" sporting model from Cabella's. The gun is sharp looking, tight but breaks open with little effort and gun fit was great, but most of all... the price was off the hook. Guess it was move the Lanbers weekend cause they were giving an extra C-note off all models of them and then signed up for their points card and got another 20% off. Stupid cheap.

At the Range:
Went to the pattern and board and it patterned great. Barrels regulated. WHEW!!!! HOWEVER!!! After 8 rounds on the trap range, it stopped working completely. It was clear that the gun was cocked but the trigger was floppy and would not engage at all. Dropping F-bomb's, I took it home, dreading the 2 hour ride back north to return it and thinking 'should've bought a B gun.' ringing in my ears. Once back home I took it completely down and discovered (not sure official name of parts) that when the safety was pushed forward to OFF the trigger block was only butting against, instead of under, the sear? hammer release bars? Released the hammers and I blasted it with CLP and Balistrol and let it sit. Then cleaned, scrubbed and relubed. Voilé! Started working like a charm. And has run flawless so far for 11 rounds of skeet and 2 trap. I also added some extended chokes (SK1+Sk2) for cool factor. So after initial freak out, all is good in Lanber-land, as its busting clays like a good gun should.

Back
Top Bottom