Shotgun ownership for 17 year old with FID

FIDs are issued under MGL Chapter 140 Section 129B. 129C describes the application of section 129B:

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section129C

and has the following text towards the end:

Nothing in this section shall permit the sale of rifles or shotguns or ammunition therefor to a minor under the age of eighteen
in violation of section one hundred and thirty nor may any firearm be sold to a person under the age of 21 nor to any person who is not licensed to carry firearms under section one hundred and thirty-one unless he presents a valid firearm identification card and a permit to purchase issued under section one hundred and thirty-one A, or presents such permit to purchase and is a properly documented exempt person as hereinbefore described.

See underlined portion. Even if your logic was correct.. that is an AND not an OR.​

I, too am not a lawyer.

The term "possess" means have in custody - as in a kid hunting. S/he has the gun in thier possession, on the FID's authority. An underage hunter, without an FID, cannot hunt on their own, with a shotgun/rifle, unless there is an FID/LTC holder, and there is only one gun, shared between the two.

Until the FID age of application was changed from 15 to 14, the State's Youth Pheasant Hunt provided black-powder shotguns for kids that were over 15 (therefore they need their own hunting license), but who had not obtained their FID (say, they had a November birthday).

As LenS said, just because the .gov "lets" you do something, does not mean it's lawful.

What's that quote about the .gov making lawful persons felons?

i'm going throw this out there, can a 15 year old with a FID build a firearm that he is allowed to carry to the range or hunting? there is no transfer of a firearm, it just becomes.

If the they have an FID card they can take a valid FID gun to the range, my son can take his shotgun, can take a long rifle. He just can not have it registered in his name.

i'm going throw this out there, can a 15 year old with a FID build a firearm that he is allowed to carry to the range or hunting? there is no transfer of a firearm, it just becomes.

No. A "firearm" in Mass parlance is a handgun. FID covers only non-large cap long guns, and ammo.

These details matter. If the build is FID compliant, then the kid can possess and transport; as noted above, though, doing an FA-10 (which is required when the build is capable of firing) on it is not advisable, IMO.

IANAL

No. A "firearm" in Mass parlance is a handgun. FID covers only non-large cap long guns, and ammo.

These details matter. If the build is FID compliant, then the kid can possess and transport; as noted above, though, doing an FA-10 (which is required when the build is capable of firing) on it is not advisable, IMO.

IANAL
i was wondering if someone knew if he could legally build a FID compliant rifle or shotgun. is there a MA law or Federal law to prevent it. Most statutes quoted here say something about a sale or a transfer. In this case the shotgun or rifle would be born in his hands when he completes it. maybe it has a shoulder stock attached to it so it becomes a rifle or shotgun the second the receiver is considered complete.

Resurrecting a thread, I think I got this…

a minor with an FID card can possess FID compliant long guns, but cannot own any FID compliant long guns until 18 years old.
So, can a minor with FID card possess an FID compliant long gun in a home indefinitely, considering there is no other licensed person (FID/LTC) living in the house?

Example: minor with FID is on school vacation and his dad (no LTC, no FID) is willing to drive him to the range three times during the week.
A friend with LTC agrees to lend a compliant rifle to the minor (with permission from father.)
Can the minor possess the compliant rifle in the home for the full week… or longer? (Of course it will be properly stored.)

Resurrecting a thread, I think I got this…

a minor with an FID card can possess FID compliant long guns, but cannot own any FID compliant long guns until 18 years old.
So, can a minor with FID card possess an FID compliant long gun in a home indefinitely, considering there is no other licensed person (FID/LTC) living in the house?

Example: minor with FID is on school vacation and his dad (no LTC, no FID) is willing to drive him to the range three times during the week.
A friend with LTC agrees to lend a compliant rifle to the minor (with permission from father.)
Can the minor possess the compliant rifle in the home for the full week… or longer? (Of course it will be properly stored.)

Yes.

Back
Top Bottom