Shotgun or Rifle?

pub

Hi everyone. So I'm looking to purchase a second firearm and I can't decide between a shotgun or a rifle. It's definitely going to be one of those two.(I have one of each already picked out) I'm not going to get onto make and model because this will turn into a "dude get the rem 870" or "lever actions suck! Get a semi auto". So from a "fun to shoot" or " you really should have" stand point, which one would be better? (cost of firearm and ammo not being a factor) I've shot both plenty of times and like both equally as much. And no, I can't get both. Not yet anyway. Thanks for the input.

By not telling us the purpose you have in mind for the rifle/shotgun and facilities you have available to practice with it, it's rather tough to give you an intelligent recommendation.

Some thoughts:

- Some ranges don't allow shotgun use except on skeet/trap range with 7.5-9 shot only. Or they restrict to slugs only on a rifle range. Neither would let you practice using 00 Buck if your intent was a SD home gun. So factor in what facility limitations you might have to live with wrt practice.

- If it is for long-range rifle shooting, many ranges in Eastern MA are 100 yds max so that long-range rifles don't get to stretch their legs.

- If you are in development with homes close by, shotguns might endanger other people in their homes if ever used for SD (home invasion). .223 tests by FBI some years ago (and with specific ammo) tumbled and went thru fewer walls than pistol bullets, so that might be a factor to consider.

- If it's a home defense gun and you've got many wooded acres between homes, it's a toss-up.

There's no real purpose for either of these. I enjoy shooting both and just wanted an opinion on which one I should choose. I'll be shooting mostly outdoors on a range that is 100 yards and has a 25yd range on the side. HD could be an option but not necessary. I guess another way to put is which has more upside/options for shooting paper?

Get an AR15 -- a flattop shorty if you want to play 3-gun games, or a 20" with a carry handle if you want to try Service Rifle.

You need both. They're two different tools for 2 different jobs.

I think everyone should have:

1 high cap pistol
1 reliable ar-15
1 reliable shotgun

bare minimum

I'll be shooting mostly outdoors on a range that is 100 yards and has a 25yd range on the side. HD could be an option but not necessary. I guess another way to put is which has more upside/options for shooting paper?

Radically different platforms with different purposes, but based on this statement ... the rifle sounds like the better bet. As stated above, the hardest and most important aspect of making a purchase decision is understanding your own requirements.

Last edited:
My requirement and purpose is to shoot paper targets outside. Some days up to 25 yds, other days up to 100 yards. Does this help? (hope this doesn't have a rude tone to it. Not my intention [grin])

My requirement and purpose is to shoot paper targets outside. Some days up to 25 yds, other days up to 100 yards. Does this help? (hope this doesn't have a rude tone to it. Not my intention [grin])

Not rude at all. Now you've defined the purpose and we have more info to base our opinions on.

Go with a rifle in this case.

No rudeness sensed on my part. Based on your comments, I reaffirm the rifle is the preferred platform for paper targets at those distances.

Last edited:
12 ga shotgun. You can do everything with it. Deer hunt, turkeys, upland bird, duck, clay sports, and home defense.

Shotgun=Fungun

get the shotty, I looking for another as we speak, then again im always looking for more guns

But a shotgun will do whatever you need it to do. I have a mossberg and with 18in smooth barrel with rifle sights, that thing is more accurate than i am. also buying a new barrel really isnt that expensive. say you wanna try turkey hunting, skeet/trap, Home defense, blasting stuff at the range. it does it all and will more likely be better suited for a hunter in MA since there is no rifle deer season but there is a bear season.

The 12ga shotgun is the simply the most gun you can get for the money and is the most versatile. For under $300 you can legitimately kill anything on the continent and and have a great time at shooting ranges at well. Rifles are more "use specific" and you must choose carefully. Good luck.

Thanks everyone for your opinion/input. I was hoping for a large margin of votes picking one or the other, but that wasn't the case. Seems I can't go wrong either way. That being said, I think I'm going with the rifle. I can get a brick of .22's for short money and then go shoot paper/fruit/zombies/ for hours. So thanks again everyone.

Btw, I can't wait to get the shotgun!

Nice!

It's all a learning curve dude. It's like asking opinions on what shoes to buy. You'll never until you do, and they're all different and fit everybody differently.

Back
Top Bottom