• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shotgun Muzzle Devices In Massachusetts

Atlantis

NES Member
I literally am asking for a friend.

He seems to have been informed somewhere along the line that there are restrictions regarding muzzle devices for shotguns in Massachusetts. Specifically breaching devices. He's looking at a brake that is marketed as also being good for door breaching. HTC-103S for KS7 He's worried its somehow not legal/runs afoul of something.

I am fairly confident this is nonsense and he is good to go, especially considering its a pump gun not a semi auto. But I figured "hey, what's the brain trust even for, if not soliciting free and conflicting opinions to be used as concrete factual evidence in a court of law...." I jest.

The MA Assault Weapon ban references 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(30) as of September 14, 1994 of which the relevant text is:
(D) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of--
(i) a folding or telescoping stock
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon
(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds
(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine

Since your friend is looking at a pump shotgun, it's immune. Also, there's nothing in the text about muzzle devices, which I've always assumed was because they didn't want to get the sporting set up in arms over interchangeable chokes.

I literally am asking for a friend.

He seems to have been informed somewhere along the line that there are restrictions regarding muzzle devices for shotguns in Massachusetts. Specifically breaching devices. He's looking at a brake that is marketed as also being good for door breaching. HTC-103S for KS7 He's worried its somehow not legal/runs afoul of something.

I am fairly confident this is nonsense and he is good to go, especially considering its a pump gun not a semi auto. But I figured "hey, what's the brain trust even for, if not soliciting free and conflicting opinions to be used as concrete factual evidence in a court of law...." I jest.
Wife and I live in MA now. Waiting on our LTCs to finish processing. We own three bolt action rifles and two shotguns. Of the five, these are my favorite two. I checked. All MA legal. Tell your friend to stop worrying. His heart, nerves and blood pressure will appreciate it.

Attachments

• 20210209_094659.jpg
    20210209_094659.jpg
    405.3 KB · Views: 25
seriously, anyone who thinks that "door breacher" on the end of a shot gun will actually breach a door failed their tacticool
Mall ninjas, who get their weapons education from TV shows and movies, think that way. The rest of us, with our training and experience, know differently. My 12 gauge 870 (shown in the photo) came with that choke. I bought extra modified and full chokes for it separately.

Attachments

• 20210209_094659.jpg
    20210209_094659.jpg
    405.3 KB · Views: 13
Thanks all for the input, you have confirmed my suspicions.

And as for my friend, he got a chuckle out of reading this, as did I. He was asking if I knew, not telling me what’s what. Looks like he’ll be good to go for whatever device he chooses

Back
Top Bottom