• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shotgun help

FrugalFannie

NES Member
Thinking about buying a shotgun. It's been 30 years since I shot one. Would like to learn to hunt with it and all that. I belong to WSC and my understanding is that we have great hunting. Anyone willing to teach a newbie? Will bring ammo - just tell me what and how much.

Thanks.

I guess it would depend on what type of hunting you would want to do. As a general rule, the pump guns from Remington and Mossberg can't be beat, but there are far better choices out there if you are interested in bird hunting.

I have 3 different shotguns, and they all serve a specific purpose.

If you want to get a versatile shotgun setup for short money, I recommend the Mossberg 500 Field/Deer combo at Dick's for $250 after rebate. 28" replaceable choke barrel for clay games and birds, 24" rifled barrel with scope included for deer. I'm not a hunter, but I love busting clays and I'm thinking about getting a hunting license next year.

If you want to get a versatile shotgun setup for short money, I recommend the Mossberg 500 Field/Deer combo at Dick's for $250 after rebate. 28" replaceable choke barrel for clay games and birds, 24" rifled barrel with scope included for deer. I'm not a hunter, but I love busting clays and I'm thinking about getting a hunting license next year.

Jar,
What local Dick's did you see this Mossberg at that price? Where can I get rebate?

I got mine at Leominster. It comes and goes from the ad, but they run this special pretty often. I bought mine 2 weeks ago.

dick's flyer

The mossberg and remington pump sales have been in the Dick's flyer in the Globe the last 3 or 4 Sundays.

The flyer info is available on the Dick's web site, by store.

Click on "Weekly Circular" at the bottom of their page, and you can choose the store there too.

I check it for their ammo sales as sometimes Leominster has 9mm and sometimes just Natick.

Bill

Jar,
What local Dick's did you see this Mossberg at that price? Where can I get rebate?

Not sure where you are, but we have a crap-load of them in Pittsfield. They are really nice for short money. The combo gets you a cantilever, rifled and ported slug barrel, a 28" field barrel, three chokes, sling studs, two cheek risers, scope and rings. Make sure you have the Lodge Guy, (if you trust them) laser bore sight the scope. All DSG's can do it, I just don't know if all of them do...The reason I'm saying this is, the included scope is a "freebie" - nothing special, but functional. There have however been some pretty notable differences in windage and elevation settings from scope to scope. Most are fine, but a few have been so far off, as to have little-to-no room for adjustment. Returning customers have all been pleased with the result. Either bore-sighting it yourself, or having the Lodge do it will save you time and aggravation.

The rebate by the way, is mail in to Mossberg. Even without the rebate it's a stellar deal and a great set-up in 12 or 20ga...If you're out this way, PM me and I'll give you my hours and will set the gun up right for you....

MassMark, I have a couple of questions for you, re: Dick's.
I looked at the Mossberg 930 Field/Deer combo last night. It was on sale for $450 last week and now it's back up to $499. I see that in NY they are still on sale. Will my local Dick's honor that sale price?
If I bought at $499 and it went on sale next week, would they refund the difference?

MassMark, I have a couple of questions for you, re: Dick's.
I looked at the Mossberg 930 Field/Deer combo last night. It was on sale for $450 last week and now it's back up to $499. I see that in NY they are still on sale. Will my local Dick's honor that sale price?
If I bought at $499 and it went on sale next week, would they refund the difference?

I'm not due in back to DSG until Wednesday evening so I will check for you, but if it were me you were dealing with, I'd push to get you the deal. Check as well that the hang tag on the gun is current, (sometimes they miss one). I don't remember seeing the 930 Field/Deer in the ad this, or last week, (we had the Waterfowl/Turkey on sale). I thought the DSG flyers were all national, but it's possible that they have regional sales on certain guns based on stock. I know that our flyer a couple of weeks ago had Browning A-Bolts on sale and as long as I've been there, we've never had them...[thinking]

I have a lot of suggestions for Dicks Sporting Goods regarding firearms, but if I could get just one wish granted, it would be that they allow Lodge personnel greater latitude in regionalizing firearms stock. In Pittsfield for instance, I have several firearms that I can sell, (CVA Wolf 209, TC Encore, Traditions break-action .50 cal, etc), but you can't use for hunting in Massachusetts, (except in certain circumstances). I'd love to ship them all out and replace them with Omegas, shotguns or varmint rifles.

Thanks for the answer, Mark. I could be mistaken about it being on sale last week but I know that the NY circular has it on sale right now and it's not in the MA circular. The NY circular has a whole page of rifles and shotguns.
I happened to go back by there last night and asked if they'd honor the NY circular price. The answer I got was "No! We don't do that on guns." I also asked if they'd sight the scope for me. Answer was a flat "No."

I have to go out to the Catskills on Friday for the weekend and if worse comes to worse, I'll buy one in Kingston, NY on the way out.

Thanks for the answer, Mark. I could be mistaken about it being on sale last week but I know that the NY circular has it on sale right now and it's not in the MA circular. The NY circular has a whole page of rifles and shotguns.
I happened to go back by there last night and asked if they'd honor the NY circular price. The answer I got was "No! We don't do that on guns." I also asked if they'd sight the scope for me. Answer was a flat "No."

I have to go out to the Catskills on Friday for the weekend and if worse comes to worse, I'll buy one in Kingston, NY on the way out.

Jesus - I wish Pittsfield were an "easy off - easy on" from the Mass Pike - I'd hook you up for sure. I can't believe they don't boresight - we have it on a "List of Services" - a big sign right in the Lodge. It seems like there's little synergy between stores. We do everything from scope mounting and boresighting, to setting up bows, filling up C02 and loading reels with line, (you don't want me setting up your bow - trust me there...[wink], but we have at least 2 bow techs). I'm only part time, but I get requests from people to set up their guns, (had a pile waiting for me on Saturday). It's sad that all DSG's aren't set up that way....Best thing you can do is take their online survey on the back of your receipt. They really do pay attention, (at least in Pittsfield anyway)....

Mark, back to the different store circulars...Not only is the circular for Kingston, NY different from what my local store is but your store's gun sale is different than both of them! The guns on sale at your store are the ones that were on sale here last week[thinking]

Mark, back to the different store circulars...Not only is the circular for Kingston, NY different from what my local store is but your store's gun sale is different than both of them! The guns on sale at your store are the ones that were on sale here last week[thinking]

Yikes....I have no idea why they do that one....I also don't know why they would not honor sales from one store to another...That's beyond my security clearance...hehehe...[grin]

I called Dick's in Kingston, NY to make sure they'd sell me the shotgun. "No, you can't by a shotgun here. You're from Massachusetts."[hmmm] I wasn't about to argue with the manager. I wasn't going to get anywhere with him

Here's hoping it goes on sale here this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom