• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shotgun help

I have a shotgun accuracy questions as it is the firearm I shoot and train with the least. I have a Remington 870 Tactical Express and here is my dilemma ( I have googled everyone’s opinion in advance)...
- Are IC chokes the best for rifled slug accuracy? I’m using Remington low recoil slugs.

- Are Full Chokes better for Slug accuracy?

- will I still need to offset aim with either one of these chokes?

- Are IC chokes the best for rifled slug accuracy? I’m using Remington low recoil slugs.

Not really. Shotgun slugs are a shotgun/slug maker dependency. It is a matter of recoil and the specific slug. When I (HAD) to use slugs, I would try 5 rounds of different maker slugs to determine which shot best in a specific shotgun. Shoot one single round, take a break for a few minutes, then shoot another. Flinch and fear of recoil are the killers when shooting slugs.

No. FC adds to recoil.

Again, it is up to the slug and gun. I can remember slugs in a 12 Ga with rifle sights. Some makes threw high/right, some low center, some right on. You just have to determine which is best for YOU and the shotgun.

With the so called “rifled” slugs theres not much in the way of “accuracy”
Think vital zone for deer accuracy.

As far as chokes, tey what you have and see if any change the point of impact vs where your aiming

Now some of the sabot with a nice rifled barrel you can get much better accuracy

Last edited:
Not really. Shotgun slugs are a shotgun/slug maker dependency. It is a matter of recoil and the specific slug. When I (HAD) to use slugs, I would try 5 rounds of different maker slugs to determine which shot best in a specific shotgun. Shoot one single round, take a break for a few minutes, then shoot another. Flinch and fear of recoil are the killers when shooting slugs.

No. FC adds to recoil.

Again, it is up to the slug and gun. I can remember slugs in a 12 Ga with rifle sights. Some makes threw high/right, some low center, some right on. You just have to determine which is best for YOU and the shotgun.
Good Stuff. Also, around the impact of the slug would be 5-8 small holes in the target, roughly the size of 9mm. Is this normal for Remington rifled managed recoil slugs? Thank you for the input sir!

Also, around the impact of the slug would be 5-8 small holes in the target, roughly the size of 9mm. Is this normal for Remington rifled managed recoil slugs?

What distance to target? Sounds fishy to me unless it is wadding or buffer material. Inside of 50 feet I can visualize some crap, but at 100 yards, should be nothing.

In general, I would go with IC or cylinder bore, or some other wide choke.

What are you shooting at? If it’s for hunting you could get a rifled barrel.
Yes I’m getting my zero for hunting this season. I’m a new hunter and only have minimal training with my 870 for home defense. I know an 870 is not ideal for hunting but it’s all got right now and I’m bringing the family down to see the Mouse next month so money is tight and I can’t get a proper deer gun this season.

I wouldn’t recommend any choke tighter than modified.

The only real way to determine which choke/slug combo works best is to test various slugs with various chokes.

If you plan on hunting with it, don’t bother using slugs you aren’t going to use for hunting to test accuracy.

I have been hunting deer for many years with an old Winchester pump with a smooth bore slug barrel. I had the receiver drilled and tapped for a 1.5-4.5 scope and I have killed deer out to 75-80 yards with Remington sluggers.

I have yet to see a reason to upgrade to a rifled barrel. Rifled barrels are much heavier; especially at the end of the day. Not to mention the difference in cost of the saboted slugs.

You can probably pick up a slug barrel for the 870. I’m guessing $150-$200 for the barrel.

The main advantage you get with a slug barrel are the sights. They are much more precise.

My recommendation would be to pick up a box of each type of rifled slug you can get and pattern them at 25 yards to see what shoots tightest to pick a slug. You should easily find a slug or two that will give you acceptable accuracy out to 50 yards.

I would probably lean toward the IC or modified choke. I’m assuming that you are using the longer bird barrel with the gold dot. Better sights will make a world of difference here.

Bob

I have a shotgun accuracy questions as it is the firearm I shoot and train with the least. I have a Remington 870 Tactical Express and here is my dilemma ( I have googled everyone’s opinion in advance)...

I have two 12 gauge 870 tacticals and a Wingmaster that I modified for home defense. Use a modified choke and shoot any 12 gauge load you want as often as you want. Lead birdshot, steel shot, slugs, buckshot... doesn't matter. Of all the screw-in RemChokes that you have at your dispisal, modified is the most versatile. BTW, don't waste your cash on those so -called "extended range" Turkey chokes. They are all expensive hype. Use a RemChoke "full" for Turkey hunting and call it good. This choke is also very deadly for coyotes at short range.

You ideally want a longer barrel than what you have with a tactical shorty, but it will do the trick. Every gun is different and so are the loads, so trial and error is required. I’m not sure the reduced recoil slugs are ideal for hunting.

Rifled barrel is the best for shotgun so if you want a new barrel go that route. It will give confidence to reach out to longer ranges, although not often necessary in New England.

Help me out with this one.——
35 to 40 years ago I was told {if I remember correctly},
at a hunters safety course, that if you ran a full choke
with a slug you’d be running the risk of blowing the
end of the barrel off? As the slug is to big to fit through
the full choke? Any truth to this or was a getting typical
cop/gun shop firearms advise?

Help me out with this one.——
35 to 40 years ago I was told {if I remember correctly},
at a hunters safety course, that if you ran a full choke
with a slug you’d be running the risk of blowing the
end of the barrel off? As the slug is to big to fit through
the full choke? Any truth to this or was a getting typical
cop/gun shop firearms advise?
The 12 gauge Remington 870 Police Magnums issued to the United States Secret Service are all fixed full choke, per their requirements. They are loaded with slug and buck. Don't bother asking why. Their standard response is a plain but polite "no comment".

I'm guessing and the only way to prove it is to cut one shell open, but it sounds like buffer material below the slug. Might be worth a call to the manufacturer.

that if you ran a full choke with a slug you’d be running the risk of blowing the
end of the barrel off?

It is all gun dependent. For example, Browning states on their web site that BELGIAN Brownings should not be used with full chokes with slugs or steel shot. You have to check with the manufacturer on your specific gun. In this case, Belgian Brownings are thin walled barrels with fixed chokes and can bulge or split.

The old general rule of thumb was that if you have a fixed choke barrel, don't shoot steel or slugs in full choke guns. This is not universal, just a general guideline. Interchangeable chokes are on a gun to gun circumstance. I have seen an interchangeable choke ripped out when shooting steel shot. So be careful out there.

Good Stuff. Also, around the impact of the slug would be 5-8 small holes in the target, roughly the size of 9mm. Is this normal for Remington rifled managed recoil slugs? Thank you for the input sir!

Stupid question....but....are you sure your not shooting buckshot? 00 buckshot is typically 8 or 9 9mm pellets, and at 25 yds the wad will make a nice clean hole in the target that would pretty easy to mistake for a hole made by a slug......

"With less felt recoil than full velocity loads, Express Managed-Recoil Buckshot is an ideal close-range performer. Less recoil means second shot recovery is quicker, allowing the user to get back on target more easily. These new loads are built with the same precision of our standard 8-pellet 00 Buckshot loads and are buffered for dense patterns, allowing for highly effective performance at up to 40 yards."

Manged Recoil Buckshot 20282.png

All I can say about this is "It Depends" Shooting slugs can be very finicky with all shotguns. I have a Browning A-5 Lt Twenty that would not shoot any brand of rifled slugs at 50yds....modified choke. I have a 12 ga Browning A-5 same thing but would shoot pumpkin ball slugs great (well it was made in 1924). I have a Ithaca Model 51 with a modified choke that would shoot Federal 1oz rifled slugs (with a 3-7 scope) and keep them in a 3" circle at 50 yds.With Remington and Winchester slugs I could just keep them on a 15"x15" target. Interesting fact with the Federal slugs, backing up tp 75 yds with the Ithaca threw them all over the target. At the time Active was making a 1oz slug and at 75 yds would shoot as good as the Federals at 50 yds. The Actives had a huge problem as they would lay down plastic in the bore so after three shots I could not hit the broad side of a barn with them. Trying to find the right combo is going to be one of the hardest things a hunter will do.

I'm guessing and the only way to prove it is to cut one shell open, but it sounds like buffer material below the slug. Might be worth a call to the manufacturer.

It is all gun dependent. For example, Browning states on their web site that BELGIAN Brownings should not be used with full chokes with slugs or steel shot. You have to check with the manufacturer on your specific gun. In this case, Belgian Brownings are thin walled barrels with fixed chokes and can bulge or split.

The old general rule of thumb was that if you have a fixed choke barrel, don't shoot steel or slugs in full choke guns. This is not universal, just a general guideline. Interchangeable chokes are on a gun to gun circumstance. I have seen an interchangeable choke ripped out when shooting steel shot. So be careful out there.
Throughout my internet and YouTube searches it was pretty common for folks to say that a full choke was ok with lead slugs only...steel slugs would run the risk of blowing up the gun. Like I said thats according to the internet bubbas, lol!

Yes I’m getting my zero for hunting this season. I’m a new hunter and only have minimal training with my 870 for home defense. I know an 870 is not ideal for hunting but it’s all got right now and I’m bringing the family down to see the Mouse next month so money is tight and I can’t get a proper deer gun this season.
870 is the 30/30 of shotgun only states.
Model 870,500,1200,37 have taken many of the deer down.

The 870 express comes with a modified choke. Modified will cover lots of uses pretty well.

There is no need for a rifled barrel for brush hunting deer here in new england.

Do this:
Go to your planned hunt spots. Figure out where you think you might stand and look at various shot presentations . Unless your lucky enough to have some really wide open spots and a nice stand you will be lucky to have a clean shot inside 50 yards.
If your driving deer forget accuracy . Load up some 00 and make sure the shot goes where your looking.

Now as far as chokes: your brenneke and foster slugs will pass through full chokes on modern shotguns.
What can happen is the threaded chokes threads arw thin and with time can loose thier grip. Steel shot does not give like lead does so steel will "grab" that choke or barrel wall and act like a swage.

Rifle barrels are good with the correct ammo. Shooting Brenneke or foster slugs down a rifled barrel is a waste of a rifled barrel.
Taking snap shots at deer inside 50 yards in NewEngland brush is almost pointless also.
Hunting deer i did briefly with my dad. Handful of seasons I only had 2 present a shot for me. My dads friend beat me to the shot on one and the other took 2 steps into the thick brush and vanished! It was always a drive hunt. Deer hardly sit still long enough for a accurate aimed shot.
If your shotgun fits and your shot charge is going where your looking you will have success.

ALso you should be "zeroing" or checking your "shot pattern" with the cloths you will be wearing on the hunt.
Check it with your warm weather and cold weather gear on and also from the position you most likely will be taking a shot from.

With the so called “rifled” slugs theres not much in the way of “accuracy”
Think vital zone for deer accuracy.

As far as chokes, tey what you have and see if any change the point of impact vs where your aiming

Now some of the sabot with a nice rifled barrel you can get much better accuracy
I kind of disagree. Accuracy is relative to the distance the gun was designed to shoot. In the case of a smooth bore shotgun with rifle sights.....that distance imo is 50 yards. I get 3 rounds touching at 50 yards with my Browning buck special barrel on my a5 at 50 yards. That's way more accurate than deer vitals. It's an accurate gun......at 50 yards.

870 is the 30/30 of shotgun only states.
Model 870,500,1200,37 have taken many of the deer down.

The 870 express comes with a modified choke. Modified will cover lots of uses pretty well.

There is no need for a rifled barrel for brush hunting deer here in new england.

Do this:
Go to your planned hunt spots. Figure out where you think you might stand and look at various shot presentations . Unless your lucky enough to have some really wide open spots and a nice stand you will be lucky to have a clean shot inside 50 yards.
If your driving deer forget accuracy . Load up some 00 and make sure the shot goes where your looking.

Now as far as chokes: your brenneke and foster slugs will pass through full chokes on modern shotguns.
What can happen is the threaded chokes threads arw thin and with time can loose thier grip. Steel shot does not give like lead does so steel will "grab" that choke or barrel wall and act like a swage.

Rifle barrels are good with the correct ammo. Shooting Brenneke or foster slugs down a rifled barrel is a waste of a rifled barrel.
Taking snap shots at deer inside 50 yards in NewEngland brush is almost pointless also.
Hunting deer i did briefly with my dad. Handful of seasons I only had 2 present a shot for me. My dads friend beat me to the shot on one and the other took 2 steps into the thick brush and vanished! It was always a drive hunt. Deer hardly sit still long enough for a accurate aimed shot.
If your shotgun fits and your shot charge is going where your looking you will have success.

ALso you should be "zeroing" or checking your "shot pattern" with the cloths you will be wearing on the hunt.
Check it with your warm weather and cold weather gear on and also from the position you most likely will be taking a shot from.
Outstanding

Why not a rifled barrel and sabot slugs? More lethal for hunting, and better accuracy from my experience.
Just one example. Get a red dot for it.

Remington 870 12 Gauge Express Barrel Cantilever 23" Fully Rifled Bore Matte Finish | Cheaper Than Dirt
If it was only that easy! I bought a Remington 1100 lt 20 with a rifled barrel. I bought over $150 worth of sabot slugs all the brands that were available. After a day of shooting from a rest with iron sights @ 50yds only two brands I could trust.....Winchester Platinum Tips (best by far) and a close 2d were Remington Buckhammers. Guess what?? Winchester discontinued the Platinum Tips and Remington stopped production of the Buckhammers. Bunch of asshats! So now I am working up handloads with Slugs-r-Us and so far results are very encouraging.

I kind of disagree. Accuracy is relative to the distance the gun was designed to shoot. In the case of a smooth bore shotgun with rifle sights.....that distance imo is 50 yards. I get 3 rounds touching at 50 yards with my Browning buck special barrel on my a5 at 50 yards. That's way more accurate than deer vitals. It's an accurate gun......at 50 yards.
Right.
What I was getting at is what do you need for real world accuracy in the conditions your shooting.
If you can get three shots touching from a rest well thats very good for a smooth bore with Brenneke or Foster slugs.
Now unless your hunting from a stand that mimics your bench test and your deer are coming into a known shooting zone.
What good does a 2" group at 50 yards do if you cant shoot pie plates off hand in rhe woods.
Best way to really see how accurate you and your gun are is to set up a vital zone target at the distance your most likely going to shoot at.
This is why 00 is so popular for short range woods hunting

If it was only that easy! I bought a Remington 1100 lt 20 with a rifled barrel. I bought over $150 worth of sabot slugs all the brands that were available. After a day of shooting from a rest with iron sights @ 50yds only two brands I could trust.....Winchester Platinum Tips (best by far) and a close 2d were Remington Buckhammers. Guess what?? Winchester discontinued the Platinum Tips and Remington stopped production of the Buckhammers. Bunch of asshats! So now I am working up handloads with Slugs-r-Us and so far results are very encouraging.
This can be a problem.
once you find a load you and your gun like you should bu as much of the same lot number as you think you will ever use.
This is something my dad would drill into our heads. i dont know where his 30/30 went over the years but i still have about 450 rounds left of 500 rounds he had that shot to his likes out of that rifle.

Fun stuff

Back
Top Bottom