shotgun for the wife

20 gauge youth pump shotgun, something you can get an 18" or 20" cylinder bore barrel also for home defense or slug use is a bonus. 20 ga smooth bore with slugs make for a great deer gun too.

I liked the Savage 301 break-open in .410, I bought 2 of them. They are my "Hunting' trainers and have been indispensable...
These are as well-built as the H&R singles and NEF guns and are one of the most durable platforms on today's market. This has an ejector also.
It comes with a "TSS" (tungsten super shot) Extra full choke.
I bought the full set of chokes for it from Savage so now I can even shoot buckshot/slugs/birdshot.
Sure a great pump will always be useful, but this has a place too...

Shooters Outpost has them for under $200, and can be sold to mass folks, obviously...
Savage Arms - 301

1610749002256.png

In a pinch and with a little practice, it can be used as a defensive arm. Not a first choice, but better than a 'pointy stick'...

1610749940036.png
Or, OOOO Buck x 5...
in .38 diameter. Like letting go a J-frame all at once...
1610750351315.png

Last edited:
I bought a stoeger 12g double defense for my wife a few years back. Nice small, simple design, and had ported barrels. In retrospect a 20g would of have been better for her but I already had a couple of those.

I would like to get her a shotgun for turkey hunting and possibly bird hunting. She is a little lady, about 5'3. Would you guys recommend a youth shotgun, or something else? I was thinking going with a 20 gauge.
My wife is only about 2" taller than yours. She uses a Remington 870 12 gauge no problem. It is about technique, .mounting the gun properly and practice. Start her off with low brass target loads and work up to full power turkey loads, slugs and buckshot. Our 870s do double duty as home defense guns. We have the extra barrels with rifle sights for slugs and buckshot. The vent rib barrels are for skeet, trap and sporting clays.

My wife got a Benelli ethos in 12ga. and loves it. Its very lightweight and has a great recoil system. She uses it for clays but carrying it in the field should be a breeze.

I would like to get her a shotgun for turkey hunting and possibly bird hunting. She is a little lady, about 5'3. Would you guys recommend a youth shotgun, or something else? I was thinking going with a 20 gauge.
We went to the range with a clay pigeon machine and two shotguns. My 12ga Versa Max Tactical and my Ithaca 20ga Ultra-featherlight. Had her bust a clay with the Versa Max. "This thing's heavy." Had her bust a clay with the Ithaca. "WHOA. I'm done with that thing."

That's all I got.

Stav is tiny and shoots a 12 with no problem. This might be a nice .youtube channel for her to watch, in general. I would recommend Stav's channel to all lady shooters of all ages. Also there is the MA Women Gun Owners.

The key with all of these is in Stav's title, She Equips Herself, instead of you buying what you may think she needs.

Wishing you and she the best. [thumbsup] Matt

Stavroula Avramidis (@sheequipsherself) • Instagram photos and videos

She Equips Herself - YouTube

Massachusetts Women Gun Owners | Growing the female voice in the firearms community

Cued up:

Just remember the lighter the shotgun the more the kick.
A 1oz payload at 1200 fps produces the same potential energy in 20 as it does 12 gauge.
For women shorgun fit is more important than for men.
Especially the pitch of the recoil par , toe out and grip to trigger length

The 12g browning gold is s decent shotgun and wenig makes a inexpensive stock with a shorter grip to trigger pull , more pitch and toe out. Its not custom but better than a “youth” model

The best thing to do T is leave the words , recoil, kick, heavy , bigger out of any conversation about shotguns or any guns for that matter.
I told my wife nothing about the dif Uferences between my pistols. The full size 1911 with 230gn ball was rated by her as the "best" hated the the 9mm i have. Dd
Did the same with the shotgun.
I have a 20g SxS that has a bite. because of the poor pitch angle it forces the comb up into your cheek when you shoot it.

If the gun fits properly, the felt recoil will be less.

My kid's Trap gun is adjusted to him (as it should be) I shot one round, (24/25, missed the last one, of course), and I was done with it. Just didn't feel right. Back to the ancient A5.

Take time to find a gun that fits her stature, and mindset. If she's comfortable, she'll be able to focus on the target, not tensing up for the whack to the shoulder, which makes it worse. Autos kick less than break-actions and pumps, but are heavier. This mitigates the recoil, but for Trap or Skeet, the repetitive lifting can be a drag, until you're used to it.

Make. Sure. It. Fits.

I liked the Savage 301 break-open in .410, I bought 2 of them. They are my "Hunting' trainers and have been indispensable...
These are as well-built as the H&R singles and NEF guns and are one of the most durable platforms on today's market. This has an ejector also.
It comes with a "TSS" (tungsten super shot) Extra full choke.
I bought the full set of chokes for it from Savage so now I can even shoot buckshot/slugs/birdshot.
Sure a great pump will always be useful, but this has a place too...

Shooters Outpost has them for under $200, and can be sold to mass folks, obviously...
Savage Arms - 301

View attachment 436339

In a pinch and with a little practice, it can be used as a defensive arm. Not a first choice, but better than a 'pointy stick'...

View attachment 436343
Or, OOOO Buck x 5...

View attachment 436349
Great narrative enbloc. Very informative.

I hunted for years with twelves. Then I smartened up and got a Remingtim Light twenty. It has a bird barrel with chokes and a buck barrel with fiber optics thats stupid accurate. I like it so much that I bought a second one. My nephew borrowed the the light twenty with a strait stock for his his first pheasant hunt and came home with 4 pheasant, so I'd say the bird barrel works pretty well also.

I'm sure this isn't the best for turkey but my wife's shotgun is a Mossberg 500 12 gauge but has the minishell rubber adapter installed. Buck, slugs, and target loads, almost no recoil. Added bonus, pop the rubber adapter out and it's back to normal. I also bought a bunch of low recoil regular buckshot for when the minishells run out. With the adapter, no misfeeds or drop outs.

Back
Top Bottom