• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shotgun for coyote

Just wondering if someone would maybe like to make up some loads for me.

This would be:
12 gauge
2 3/4 inch shells
high brass
lead
shot size: "FF", "F", "T", "BBB", "BB"
maximum powder for above

The only coyote stuff I find anywhere is 3 inch.

Its cheaper to buy shotshell these days.
Do you have any of the shot listed in your list?
Any reason you can't use slugs? I'm not up to any hunting regulations so I'm Ignorant on that front.
My little experience with BB is about 20 yards and then it's not so good.

Last edited:
Its cheaper to buy shotshell these days.
Do you have any of the shot listed in your list?
Any reason you can't use slugs? I'm not up to any hunting regulations so I'm Ignorant on that front.

No shot larger than FF (.230"). Has anyone ever seen FF shot?

In MA - "coyote may be hunted with shotgun cartridges loaded with shot not larger than FF, provided that when coyote are hunted during the shotgun deer season, they may additionally be hunted with those shotgun cartridges that are lawful for the hunting of deer (i.e., including buckshot and slugs);"

=========

I would think you'd be better off with a .22LR and a head shot, vs. attempting to take one down with a limited shotgun load. Maybe pick up a used 12GA with 3" chamber?

No shot larger than FF (.230"). Has anyone ever seen FF shot?

In MA - "coyote may be hunted with shotgun cartridges loaded with shot not larger than FF, provided that when coyote are hunted during the shotgun deer season, they may additionally be hunted with those shotgun cartridges that are lawful for the hunting of deer (i.e., including buckshot and slugs);"

=========

I would think you'd be better off with a .22LR and a head shot, vs. attempting to take one down with a limited shotgun load. Maybe pick up a used 12GA with 3" chamber?

Good to know....little silly I can shoot coyote with a rifle in MA but no slugs. Strange regs.
The OP didn't mention what state he is in.

I was looking around for bulk shot the best price I found for #F was 37$ for 8lbs.
It's cheaper to buy a mold from Lee!

Last edited:
I'm in Massachusetts. I have no reloading supplies or capabilities presently. I would be willing to chip in if others also saw a need. I'd be good with a box or two, to try out, sight in, practice, and hunt. I think it would work out decent if a couple guys wanted these.

Thank you.

I'm in Massachusetts. I have no reloading supplies or capabilities presently. I would be willing to chip in if others also saw a need. I'd be good with a box or two, to try out, sight in, practice, and hunt. I think it would work out decent if a couple guys wanted these.

Thank you.

Well I couldn't even find any F or FF factory loads.
Best I found was 3" remington BB steel shot for 20$ for 25rounds.... I don't think reloading will be worth the effort...if you come up with the shot and load data and are local to Hanover I could probably help you load some up.
You could by a lee load all for short money and load what ever you want.
I keep saying I'm going to go coyote hunting. If I can't use slugs I might as well use my black powder or a rifle.

Well I couldn't even find any F or FF factory loads.
Best I found was 3" remington BB steel shot for 20$ for 25rounds.... I don't think reloading will be worth the effort...if you come up with the shot and load data and are local to Hanover I could probably help you load some up.
You could by a lee load all for short money and load what ever you want.
I keep saying I'm going to go coyote hunting. If I can't use slugs I might as well use my black powder or a rifle.

Order the lee load all tonight and have your loads ready by next weekend.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002SF4WNQ/ref=pd_luc_rh_sbs_02_02_t_ttl_lh?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Anybody in South Central Mass have one of these Lee Load All's? I'd like to try some of these out first. I can't believe I am the only one around who has 2 3/4 inch shotgun from before 3" magnums were around.

That said, keep an eye on this new proposed legislation:
An Act Relative to Outdoor Heritage

Last edited by a moderator:
I just noticed the RIA VR80 here:

I've been hesitant to mount a thermal scope on my Versa Max due to fear of stripping out the mounting holes for the rail. And I don't wan't to subject the thermal scope to the recoil of my Mossy pump. From what I've read so far, the VR80 looks like it might be a good host for the scope. The tame recoil of a gassed semi-auto, and a beefy pic rail for mounting a hefty scope to. The detachable magazine would simplify unloading. hmm...

What are you shooting for shotshells? My buddy has one of those VR80's I'm going to see if I can shoot it and compare it to my Beretta xtrema as far as recoil goes.

What are you shooting for shotshells? My buddy has one of those VR80's I'm going to see if I can shoot it and compare it to my Beretta xtrema as far as recoil goes.

In MA, restricted to no larger than FF shot. I've got a bunch of Hornady Coyote Magnum Winchester Varmint X in BB, and a handful of HeviShot Dead Coyote size T.

Last edited:
I'll tell you those Hornady Coyote Magnums kick pretty good. Even in my gas operated Beretta A400.

In MA, restricted to no larger than FF shot. I've got a bunch of Hornady Coyote Magnum in BB, and a handful of HeviShot Dead Coyote size T.

Do you know if these come in 2 3/4 length 12 ga shells? If so, where? Thanks.

Where it's legal to use, I've had several guys tell me that they swear by copper-plated #4 buckshot when they're using a shotgun.

Yeah, sounds good, but not in Massachusetts, except during deer season.

I'm not aware of any commercial 2 3/4 shotshell loads for predators.

Yeah. I'm bummed. I guess that only leaves hand loading. I could have sworn I saw a link to some somewhere.

Some related posts:

Can only use buckshot on coyote in Massachusetts if it is shotgun deer season.
From the coyote regs for mass

"Slugs, single balls and buckshot may only be used during the shotgun deer season".

I know plenty of fellow hunters that shoot coyotes with slugs during shotgun deer season.

Last edited:

I just picked up a VR80. I'll be breaking it down for a complete cleaning before any range time, but it seems to handle very well. And it feels lighter than it is.

Re-upping this post. No, I haven't found a source for shot either, unless I just buy regular copper BB pellets in the milk carton thing at Walmart. I'm not sure if those are steel, and if so, are they bad for my gun.

So, anybody have a source of BB or FF or F pellets, and/or have a reloader they'd like to try out?

Looking for local sources first, lower Worcester area.

Just found these:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to1ALNLvi6c

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3z3Bhr7tLI

Walmart sells lead bbs. They are splatter on hard impact from a bb rifle. Not cheap but for just a few loads it wouldn't be tooooooooo bad. I'm going to make up some Speer shot capsules for my 357 ported snubbie... Stash

Back
Top Bottom