• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shotgun for coyote

Ok so I could be wrong but what i understand
Shotgun is to FF or .230" unless its deer season then buck shot or slugs only
None Deer season shot gun and smooth bore blackcpowder is FF/.230 only.
Except when you use a rifle or Rifled muzzle loader there is no restrictions on cal size?

If I where to actively go after coyote i would just wait for open season out side shotgun deer season.?
Use a rifle or rifled barrel muzzle loader?

T shot cant hold much energy past 50 yards, for effective kills? Like i said im unlikely to spot a coyote in the brush or woods at 50 yards anyway.

Theres not many places with the amount of choices for reloading shotshell than BP.
Shot can be expensive: although when your looking to buy out side the buck shot/slug and dove /turkey load s and load what you need when you need it the cost are not a huge factor.
Pick up a Mec Jr or Lee load all.
A call to BP an they can hook you up with everything needed to load "coyote" loads.

Last edited:
I finally got around to mounting a thermal scope on my VR80, and sent some Winchester VarmintX BB loads downrange. My DIY thermal targets worked out well for the shotgun - toe warmer taped behind 1" hole in cardboard. Pattern was okay with the OEM full choke, but I'm going to look at options to tighten it up. These loads through my Versa Max Tactical patterned very well with the Remington Turkey/Predator choke. Total weight with thermal scope & 5 round mag is 12.65 lb. :oops:

ATNX0021.jpg

image10445.jpg

I finally got around to mounting a thermal scope on my VR80, and sent some Winchester VarmintX BB loads downrange. My DIY thermal targets worked out well for the shotgun - toe warmer taped behind 1" hole in cardboard. Pattern was okay with the OEM full choke, but I'm going to look at options to tighten it up. These loads through my Versa Max Tactical patterned very well with the Remington Turkey/Predator choke. Total weight with thermal scope & 5 round mag is 12.65 lb. :oops:

View attachment 551677

View attachment 551678
What distance was that?

FYI: I can tell you that if you shoot a coyote with a 12 gauge 2 3/4" 1 oz slug, it WILL create a LARGE hole in the hide!
Not good if you're trying to do something with the pelt. I'm going to have to get creative on this pelt that I got last week. ;)

Attachments

• MP-Coyote-121121-Trunk.jpg
    MP-Coyote-121121-Trunk.jpg
    603.7 KB · Views: 9
FYI: I can tell you that if you shoot a coyote with a 12 gauge 2 3/4" 1 oz slug, it WILL create a LARGE hole in the hide!
Not good if you're trying to do something with the pelt. I'm going to have to get creative on this pelt that I got last week. ;)
Congrats on the tote. Another good tote.

Pfffft.

This was done with a Rage broadhead shot out of a crossbow some years ago.

Bob

DE04A570-0235-4B4F-8DB6-2F3FFEB8035E.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom