• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shotgun Defense

Knob Creek

NES Member
In my last few classes on Home Firearms Safety I've had several students leaning toward the shotgun as a home defense gun. Has anyone put together a course with range time for shotgun for home defense.

I sometimes run a shotgun class and combine it to the MPTC standards. This includes transitions to the handgun too. Last class was with a Mass State Trooper who wanted to qualify with it so to have it in the cruiser.

Mike

Aim towards BG, pull trigger, spend next 48 hours scrubbing the walls. [wink]

Just have a bucket of joint compound on hand to fill the holes. Primer and paint should take care of the rest. [smile]

I'm pretty sure they have cleanup crews to take care of the blood and such.

first lesson: why a pistol grip is a bad idea on a shotgun
It is? I actually don't think I've ever fired a shotgun that doesn't have a pistol grip.

EDIT: Disregard. I read further down in the thread. You're talking about only a pistol grip, no stock, right? Yeah, those are queer.

Last edited:
I remember one of the fail videos of a guy shooting a no-stock shotgun and getting whacked in the face with it.

It is possible to run shotgun or any long gun in our F.I.T.E. TWO ™ class. However, F.I.T.E. ONE™ is a prerequisite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sig Sauer Academy in Epping NH offers an 8 hour shotgun defensive class. They have Shotgun 101, 102, Defensive Shotgun, and I think a fourth shotgun class. My wife and I took the Shotgun 101 class last year and it was quite good for a person new to shotguns. I think the shotgun classes are offered on a few Sundays starting in the Spring. Our class last year had an instructor and five students total. First half lecture and the last three plus hours after lunch shooting various pump and semi auto shotguns (all 12 gauge) at an outdoor range. The more advanced classes have substantially more shooting time and drills. Same instructor teaches those classes.

Back
Top Bottom