• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shotgun compensators/ muzzle brakes/ other evil features

alx

NES Member
So, have been reading the law correctly about shotguns?

Nowehere in the "evil features" on a shotgun it is mentioned that you cannot have a muzzle brake or a compensator or even a flash hiding contraption.

So not only you can install a monster muzzle brake (on your otherwise compliant say Saiga 12), but you dont even have to pin/ weld it...

What am I missing? Since I live in MA I am sure I am missing something lol...

Thank you in advance for your thoughts on the subject

My thoughts: Why?

Is the recoil of the Saiga excessive? Or are you just trying to make it look more bad-ass?

Years ago, a company that advertised in Shotgun News had the only real shottie-mod-for-close-quarter-battle: An 18" barrel, that had a cut made from the bottom of the muzzle, back, at an angle to the top, for about 6-8", making the top of the barrel open. [shocked] IIRC, it was designed to reduce muzzle climb, enhance pattern spread and made it "Exceptionally grab-resistant" [laugh] Not long after the ad, the ATF said, "Cut it out." [sad]

What's the reason for the proposed mods?

My thoughts: Why?

Comps are very popular with 3-gun doyennes. I've never bothered to ask which ones they use, but they generate quite the concussive blast. I would imagine they seriously mitigate the recoil. Lower recoil is great when you're working on reducing the times.

Shotguns:
(D) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of--
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and
(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.'.

NOTE: Given (D) this means that break open, pump, bolt action shotguns are exempt from the AWB.

No mention of threaded barrel or muzzle device, or any of those new-fangled contraptions that all the cool kids use. You even get to use MONSTER ones.

but they generate quite the concussive blast. I would imagine they seriously mitigate the recoil.

The noise increase is a lot! When wearing hearing protection, it's ok, but in the field compensators/muzzle breaks are lousy. I've been shotgunning for over 60 years and felt recoil is better served by a recoil reducer in the butt stock.

Do shot gun comps/porting actually accomplish a lot? The devices work off pressure, and shotguns don't make a lot of that. I seem to remember JP makes/made something that took the gas from the middle of the barrel.

The noise increase is a lot! When wearing hearing protection, it's ok, but in the field compensators/muzzle breaks are lousy. I've been shotgunning for over 60 years and felt recoil is better served by a recoil reducer in the butt stock.

Different sports, different ways of solving the same issue. This is a Saiga, where muzzle devices are relatively easy to swap, not an 1100. That, and most of these guns are competition guns exclusively rather than hunting guns.

Do shot gun comps/porting actually accomplish a lot? The devices work off pressure, and shotguns don't make a lot of that. I seem to remember JP makes/made something that took the gas from the middle of the barrel.

In my unscientific observation, comps on AK shotguns do mitigate recoil and keep the gun from moving. If you want the full half-hour of scientific analysis, here you go:

If I were to guess, threaded muzzles on shotguns were protected because that's how you change chokes, something they needed to preserve in '94 to keep traditional shooters (hunters) on the side of the government.

Besides, brakes and comps are always OK. The average dummy on the street has no idea that suppressors exist for shotguns, and flash hiders for them are relatively new and basically useless. Like fancy fishing lures, they're for catching the shooter's attention...

Of course, I was a child, so this isn't something I was keeping track of. I'm sure others have more input.

I had the "core sampler" on my M4 for a while. TBH I don't know if it made a difference or not. My thought was if I ever ran out of shells in a pinch I could use it like a bayonet. I've gone back to the more traditional choke since that gun is no longer my first option.

UxdmEVY.jpg

I do believe porting works. I don't mean just drilling holes at the end of the barrel. The barrels on my clay gun are ported. They are also angled in a way to help with muzzle climb. Makes a difference in getting on the second clay slightly quicker. Not that i will hit it any better but I have a better shot at it.

You don’t see them because they don’t work for shotguns. If you’re worried about recoil, it’s best managed by a stock based system (like the PFS I have on mine). If you’re worried about noise, I would think a silencer would have such a narrow shot size range (and even then might not even work), plus they sell low noise ammo (which sucks btw). Porting doesn’t work at all for shotguns (gets clogged up instantly), and even if it did, any barrel rise (of which there isn’t a ton) is better mitigated by weights or technique than trying to port.

Last edited:
Porting doesn’t work at all for shotguns (gets clogged up instantly), and even if it did, any barrel rise (of which there isn’t a ton) is better mitigated by weights or technique than trying to port (which you couldn’t even do on an O/U).

This is not accurate at all. My Browning Citori (O/U) has ported barrels from the factory. Although they do attract a little debris they don't clog. Gun gets cleaned after a day of shooting. It's a non issue.

This is not accurate at all. My Browning Citori (O/U) has ported barrels from the factory. Although they do attract a little debris they don't clog. Gun gets cleaned after a day of shooting. It's a non issue.
I was more speaking towards ported chokes which get clogged if you look at them funny. My understand is that ported barrels aren’t subject to clogging as badly, but at the same time, having shot Citori’s that were identical save for the porting, it doesn’t do jack. There’s likely a very good reason that a DT-11, K-80, or High-Tech don’t come with ported barrels.

I was more speaking towards ported chokes which get clogged if you look at them funny. My understand is that ported barrels aren’t subject to clogging as badly, but at the same time, having shot Citori’s that were identical save for the porting, it doesn’t do jack. There’s likely a very good reason that a DT-11, K-80, or High-Tech don’t come with ported barrels.

OP's asking about a Saiga, not a Krieghoff. A Saiga has a rifle-like barrel with threading. Not a traditional shotgun barrel like on an O/U.

Debating the merits of ported barrels on O/Us is great and all but has no relevance to what the OP's asking.

Yeah, ported barrels are common on the Trap line even on O/Us. Of course, you're looking at 100/200/more rounds in a day's shooting (more if you're in a shoot-off), so even a minor reduction is a help....at least psycologically.

I just set the A5 for heavy loads, and let the big spring do the work for me.

Yeah, ported barrels are common on the Trap line even on O/Us. Of course, you're looking at 100/200/more rounds in a day's shooting (more if you're in a shoot-off), so even a minor reduction is a help....at least psycologically.

I just set the A5 for heavy loads, and let the big spring do the work for me.
I don’t know why I had a brain fart this morning and forgot that you can port an O/U barrel, I was thinking strictly chokes and how much of a joke the ported chokes are after having run them for a short while.

Comps are very popular with 3-gun doyennes. I've never bothered to ask which ones they use, but they generate quite the concussive blast. I would imagine they seriously mitigate the recoil. Lower recoil is great when you're working on reducing the times.

yes, this is going to be a 3-gun shotty. and a backup hd...

the large (mostly russian- made) brakes for the saiga 12 (gk-01..02..03 come to mind) improve significantly the follow-up effort as most of you know the saigas are somewhat unruly semis when you use them in a hurry. the large brake also adds some welcome (at least for my taste) weight to the front of the shotgun.

thank you for the feedback. i think i should be in the clear.

Practically speaking (for me anyway) muzzle breaks never really made any difference. At first I thought they looked cool and put them on a few rifles, but no perceived reduction in recoil for me.
What is a huge PITA, though is shooting next to one, especially if it is 7.62x51 or 7.62x54R. When we have military shoots I always end up next to one and have to wait until they are done. I can feel my eyes getting compressed.

Back
Top Bottom