• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shotgun (clay shooting) Instruction

Sorry if this belongs in another section.

I'm a pretty new shooter looking to develop good habits to practice before I develop bad ones that I have to work to get rid of. Can anyone recommend someone in eastern MA who knows shotguns and gives instruction on the basics. I plan to shoot clays (skeet, sporting, five stand, trap to a lesser extent) but would like to learn the "Churchill"/move-mount-shoot method as I think it makes most sense and is most useful across multiple disciplines. I know I could go to Orvis and drop $1k+ for a two day course but I'm also saving to buy a first, decent quality, gun. So I'd prefer to pay for an hour or two of private instruction, which will likely serve me better anyway.

Thanks for any advice.

Well, you certainly have a plan.

My primary expertise is in Trap, so please bear that in mind.

SOme observations:

Shotgun shooters tend to gravitate to one game in perference to the others - Trapezoids and Skeeters are different, in outlook and equipment, for instance.

The most important factor is fit - "No fit, no hit." You'll become "one with the gun" moreso than with a rifle - your eye is the rear sight, and if you have an ill-fitting gun, you'll have a tough time.

A "good" skeet gun will be differnet from a "good" trap gun. That being said, the "wetware" is the most important second factor. MY 11 yo has an ATA (trap) average of 90+% ; he generally shoots 80 - 85% on the Wobble Skeet field ( don't have an exact number - Skeeters don't keep score! [laugh]). This is done with his grandfather's full0size Winchester autoloader field gun. He changes the choke form full to skeet, and he's good to go. I believe that this is becaue he's better able to change his "programmed" timing than his old dad....[crying]

Bottom line - a gun that fits you will be more than adequate for all-around shooting, for quite a while than a more-specialized gun that fits less well.

Try, try, try until you find one that "feels right" - many of the better shooters in a given discipline have very strong ( and often conflicting) opinions, and since much is mental, most of them are right - for them. Only experimentation will tell you what's right for you. Ask to try differnet action types, makers, etc. DON'T buy a gun because it works for your buddy. I draw an anaogy between shotguns and boots - fit is the important factor. You;d not buy a pair of boots until you've had them on your feet, unless you've had that brand and style before.

Have fun, and good shooting!

The gunsmith in Chelmsford, Joe Dee (-desantis, -demonics, something like that) told me he teaches at the Lowell Sportsman's' club. He like to teach skeet first as he thinks it's harder.
Bill

Wallum Lake Rod & Gun club has an intro to skeet shoot on most friday nights. Also you can usually find someone shooting trap that will help you.

Back
Top Bottom