• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shotgun Choke Question for Trap and Skeet

Rockrivr1

NES Member
For you shotgunners out there shooting trap and skeet I have a question pertaining to what choke(s) you use for them. Basically, what choke tube do you us for trap and what choke tube(s) do you use during skeet? I've shot trap using a Remington 870 Express with a Modified choke tube but am not sure if that is the best to use. I've just picked up a Mossberg Silver Reserve O/U so when shooting at two clays would using a modified chock for the first shot and a full choke for the second be the best configuration or is a different combo of chokes best?

Thanks for the help.

I think Modified is a good starting point for trap. Half the battle is developing the speed to hit the birds just outside of the house. If you are letting the birds travel far, you might need a tighter choke to break them though. Each gun patterns a little different, so there is no hard and fast rule that works for all. Patterning your gun is the best bet, you want your shot to be in about a 30" circle when hit at about 75'. Then you need to figure out if your gun actually shoots "point of aim", a true trap gun usually shoots high, which allows you to break straight away rising birds easier.

I'm shooting an Improved Modified, and when I hit them quick out of the house it absolutely dusts the birds. If you notice that most of your breaks result in lots of big chunks, then try a tighter choke.

As for skeet shooting, either a "Skeet" choke or a "Cylinder" choke should do just fine.

If your just starting I'd go with skeet for both, it gives the largest pattern of shot, or maybe improved cylinder for trap but I really don't shoot much trap (boring). Always use the same choke in both barrells of your o/u. If Doctor drew is shooting skeet with a full choke is must be highly advanced. I use a modidied choke for skeet. I really enjoy shooting skeet for sport but it it's practice for killing birds.

Shotgun Choke Trap and Skeet

That Mossberg was pattened when i put the Trulock extended ported chokes in the o/u. I told you that the gun shoots flat. which means that were you aim it hits. you have to find your LOP. and you may have to raise the comb with a pad to get the right sight picture of the aim point when look down the Barrel. also the shotgun shoots well at 16yds with the top barrel with the motified choke and handcaps to 27yds with the bottom full choke.on the trap field. On the skeet field you may have to experiment with the other chokes( sheet #1 or #2. It was a excellent bird gun with the chokes in the gun

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom