Shotgun bruising my middle finger - form problem?

I picked up a cheap, used Beretta O/U and have been shooting skeet the past couple of weeks for the first time (at least, since I was very young).

I've noticed that the middle finger on my strong hand is getting seriously banged up - I don't remember it hurting while shooting in the least, but a couple of hours later and for a couple of days after, it's been throbbing. The whole thing was sufficiently black and blue last week I was worried about capillary refill, but it ended up fine. Tonight, tried wearing mechanix gloves and it maybe helped a little, but not enormously. I assume it's something I'm doing wrong.

Obviously, it's trauma from the finger guard, but I'm wondering if it means I'm gripping wrong, or not tightly enough (I am keeping my hand a bit loose), or I'm not keeping enough tension in my shoulder against the recoil (assuming I should be), or something like that.

I do feel like I'm pulling it into my shoulder with firm pressure to start with, but I do more sort of roll with, instead of press in to, the recoil (I'm a big guy, so recoil is not that big a deal). Or, the other thing I suppose it could be is I might be letting up on pulling into my shoulder while moving on to the second shot of doubles.

Regardless, I'm not sure what I'm doing - so, any similar experiences or insights appreciated.

What portion of your trigger finger are you using? Tip or second knuckle? I've seen some guys with a rubber piece glued to the rear of the guard. The obvious fix is to use a grip that puts some distance between the guard and the middle finger.

I've never noticed any significant bruising but I tend to get some soreness there also which I always blamed on keeping a fairly relaxed grip with my trigger hand. I tend to naturally cant my shotgun if I squeeze too tightly, same thing happens if I squeeze too tightly with my bow arm. i've also seen guys put a small piece of rubberized insulation on the backs of their trigger guards which has to be for the same reason.

It might just be how the gun fits you. It doesn't take much. Shooting my Winchester is like falling down a flight of stairs. The next day I have a bruised shoulder and pec, a bruised cheek and a cut on a knuckle of my right hand. My Mosberg, which looks almost identical to the Winchester is the softest shooting shotgun I own. I can shoot high brass, full power loads all day long and it's like shooting a .22.
A slight drop in comb, a fraction of an inch in the pull length, pistol grip vs straight grip, etc., might be the difference between a gun that hurts and one that's a pleasure to shoot.

Last edited:
I picked up a cheap, used Beretta O/U and have been shooting skeet the past couple of weeks for the first time (at least, since I was very young).

I've noticed that the middle finger on my strong hand is getting seriously banged up - I don't remember it hurting while shooting in the least, but a couple of hours later and for a couple of days after, it's been throbbing. The whole thing was sufficiently black and blue last week I was worried about capillary refill, but it ended up fine. Tonight, tried wearing mechanix gloves and it maybe helped a little, but not enormously. I assume it's something I'm doing wrong.

Obviously, it's trauma from the finger guard, but I'm wondering if it means I'm gripping wrong, or not tightly enough (I am keeping my hand a bit loose), or I'm not keeping enough tension in my shoulder against the recoil (assuming I should be), or something like that.

I do feel like I'm pulling it into my shoulder with firm pressure to start with, but I do more sort of roll with, instead of press in to, the recoil (I'm a big guy, so recoil is not that big a deal). Or, the other thing I suppose it could be is I might be letting up on pulling into my shoulder while moving on to the second shot of doubles.

Regardless, I'm not sure what I'm doing - so, any similar experiences or insights appreciated.
Wrap some textured tape around grip area.
Local hockey rink usually has decent stuff

How does your hand fit in the area between grip and trigger?

Last edited:

Do you have large hands? It may just use be a fit problem for the particular gun.

What portion of your trigger finger are you using? Tip or second knuckle?
How does your hand fit in the area between grip and trigger?

Good points: I went back and actually checked again: When I tried quickly without thinking about it, I naturally mounted it and my trigger finger was up to the knuckle near the top of the trigger, and my middle finger was near up to the trigger guard. If I slide my palm down more towards the horn (I think it's called? the bottom I mean) of the grip, I'm more with the tip/pad of my finger on the bottom half of trigger, and my middle finger is probably out of harm's way.

I've never noticed any significant bruising but I tend to get some soreness there also which I always blamed on keeping a fairly relaxed grip with my trigger hand. I tend to naturally cant my shotgun if I squeeze too tightly, same thing happens if I squeeze too tightly with my bow arm. i've also seen guys put a small piece of rubberized insulation on the backs of their trigger guards which has to be for the same reason.

Very likely a contributing factor.

I think between the above two I should have it solved, thanks.

One more question, about shooting form: ought one keep strong side elbow more parallel to the ground, or more natural?

If you were comfortable with your trigger finger up to the knuckle, and re adjusted to go back to the finger tip pad, your gun fit may be off and you need your LOP adjusted which can be done easy with a new adjustable butt pad. If you like that gun, I would have someone look at your gun fit.

If you were comfortable with your trigger finger up to the knuckle, and re adjusted to go back to the finger tip pad, your gun fit may be off and you need your LOP adjusted which can be done easy with a new adjustable butt pad. If you like that gun, I would have someone look at your gun fit.
Often over looked is trigger to grip “lop”
I can find many shorter length of pull stocks for my wife. But many do not change the grip to trigger length . Same with youth stocks. I can only see it being the same problem with folks who need a longer than average lop or big wide hands

Seems to work on my straights at skeet and the last 4 heart shots I took on moving dear with a rifle. So the date of learning has no bearing on that.
:cool:
What works for you is what counts but if you look over time “what was” good then is different than now as far as any training techniques and even equipment.
Go back some years and if you shoot skeet with anything longer than 26” your not going to score well? Same with trap,
Shooting anything on the fly is a skill for sure.

If you'd rather not change your grip, try a pair of shooting gloves. The back of the middle finger on the right glove (if you're right handed) is padded to prevent bruising from contact with the trigger guard.

mac1911, just what are you objecting to in my original reply?
Just poking around. Look at how they “trained” to hold a garand WWII trigger arm high chicken wing elbow.
Shooting trap I feel less restricted both elbow low?
It’s all end result .....

Just poking around. Look at how they “trained” to hold a garand WWII trigger arm high chicken wing elbow.
Shooting trap I feel less restricted both elbow low?

Is that not what I said?

Skeet is crossing birds. Both elbows high. Trap is rising birds, with a little cross. 45 degrees on trap I can go with. Target/combat high power is left elbow below, right elbow high. If you can shoot High Power and score in the top 5% of shooters with another style, please tell me your name. I'll come take a lesson.

Is that not what I said?

Skeet is crossing birds. Both elbows high. Trap is rising birds, with a little cross. 45 degrees on trap I can go with. Target/combat high power is left elbow below, right elbow high. If you can shoot High Power and score in the top 5% of shooters with another style, please tell me your name. I'll come take a lesson.
Maybe i mis read your post I thought you did both elbows down with rifle standing shootin g at movin g targets?

Any how you do your best with what works for you.
I dont shoot in the top 5% and have not shot XTC much and especially not in the last several years. i do shoot local cmp matches. My average was 271/300 with several different rifles? Or 90%

Hahaha. Hand to God, I had a decent round yesterday but was banging up my finger something fierce all throughout.

Went looking for some fixes, and what did I find on Beretta's website?

Beretta Trigger Guard Buffer

We'll see how it works.
E006961.jpg

Hahaha. Hand to God, I had a decent round yesterday but was banging up my finger something fierce all throughout.

Went looking for some fixes, and what did I find on Beretta's website?

Beretta Trigger Guard Buffer

We'll see how it works.
E006961.jpg
Bandaid for what apears to be a shorter than average trigger to grip length of pull. You said "cheap" beretta in OP.? I would maybe grab a file and reshape the grip area to wear you like your trigger finger position. Then get some of that epoxy putty and slap a wad of it on the palm side . Then grip the the shotty like your shooting forming a palm swell. You can also do finger grooves if you like.

You can buy a stick on palm swell.
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...ieces/rifle-hand-eez-palm-swell-prod7405.aspx
I would try a a LOP increase also. You can just use washers and longer screws to test .

Last edited:
I may be the only one to mention this, but "bruising" is just pain leaving the body...

Keep shooting until that bruise develops into a callus, and then continue shooting so it never goes away.

Or, do what Jerry did...

iu
iu

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom