Shotgun advice

I'm looking to buy a shotgun, preferably 12ga. It will be used mostly for deer and turkey. Without opening up a can of worms.............any suggestions?

Can't go wrong with the Rem 870. Tried and tested longer than I have been alive. I also own a Mossberg 500 that I have complete faith in.

Those are both solid choices for pump guns. Both can be had at Dick's Sporting Goods and can usually be found packaged with both a field barrel and a slug barrel.

You can also look into autoloaders. Readily available used are the Rem 1100/11-87, Mossberg 835, Browning A5, the list goes on and on.

If you get a shotgun with just one barrel, it would help to make sure the barrel has interchangeable chokes. That way you can run a cylinder or improved cylinder choke for slugs, then swap it out for a turkey choke (extra full), ported or non ported.

Can open.

Go to the Marlborough gun show, and "try on" a few. Fit is very important in a shotgun.

If you belong to a club, go there, and ask the Trap and Skeet people to help you with fit.

Alll of the recommend guns are fine - for an all-around gun the 870 is a good choice, there are numerous differeny barrels, add-on, etc. For a semi, 1100s, etc. are a good choice

Can open.

Go to the Marlborough gun show, and "try on" a few. Fit is very important in a shotgun.

If you belong to a club, go there, and ask the Trap and Skeet people to help you with fit.

Alll of the recommend guns are fine - for an all-around gun the 870 is a good choice, there are numerous differeny barrels, add-on, etc. For a semi, 1100s, etc. are a good choice

Appreciate you validating my guru's advice. :)

anouther good place to 'try on' a few is Kitter tradeing post. Any Local gun shop will at least have a few of the most common models though. if your not in a hurry look arround and more importantly ASK at the shops...
BTW, personaly I love my mossberg 9200 semi auto

My kid has an 870 and an 1100. Winchester, Smith&Wesson, and Browning, I have. A standard "field" grade in any is about the same as any other....how it feels, and price are the governing factors.

The more common (like an 870), the more goodies you'll be able to find to make it yours.

Those are both solid choices for pump guns. Both can be had at Dick's Sporting Goods and can usually be found packaged with both a field barrel and a slug barrel.

You can also look into autoloaders. Readily available used are the Rem 1100/11-87, Mossberg 835, Browning A5, the list goes on and on.

If you get a shotgun with just one barrel, it would help to make sure the barrel has interchangeable chokes. That way you can run a cylinder or improved cylinder choke for slugs, then swap it out for a turkey choke (extra full), ported or non ported.

I can't recomend this enough the mossberg 500 field deer combo at dicks is on sale now for 300 bucks its not a fancy gun but it is super reliable.. The slug barrel comes with a cantliver scope mount so you sight in the scope and can pull the barrel and scope off and go back to the feild barrel... awsome if you start hunting pheasents, ducks, fall turkey... without the cantilever you sight your slug barrel scope in your done or you gotta do it all over again... The mossberg 500 alone is around 289 to 350 at alot of gun shops the slugster barrel (with this joke of a scope it comes with replace that) is around 189 retail so the 300 sale price is incredible!

anouther good place to 'try on' a few is Kitter tradeing post. Any Local gun shop will at least have a few of the most common models though. if your not in a hurry look arround and more importantly ASK at the shops...
BTW, personaly I love my mossberg 9200 semi auto
+1 on KTP. They had a ton of new and used shotguns when I was there a month ago, a lot of them on the racks, and the nicer ones behind the counter.

Mossberg combo was the best deal... I got a 12 gauge 2 barrels(rifled and smooth bore) with a scope.... Also the safety doesn't require you to move your trigger finger, and your fingers dont get caught like the 870 when reloading..!

I can't recomend this enough the mossberg 500 field deer combo at dicks is on sale now for 300 bucks its not a fancy gun but it is super reliable.. The slug barrel comes with a cantliver scope mount so you sight in the scope and can pull the barrel and scope off and go back to the feild barrel... awsome if you start hunting pheasents, ducks, fall turkey... without the cantilever you sight your slug barrel scope in your done or you gotta do it all over again... The mossberg 500 alone is around 289 to 350 at alot of gun shops the slugster barrel (with this joke of a scope it comes with replace that) is around 189 retail so the 300 sale price is incredible!

The scope I got with my 870 combo last year gave me a whole heap of trouble sighting in yesterday. Guessing it is a piece of crap. Anybody here hunt with a red dot? Other scope recommendations?

Back
Top Bottom