Shot Timers

Went out shooting a few days ago with a friend and we started practicing with a shot timer app. It worked well but it made me curious about some real shot timers.

Who uses a real shot timer and what kind is it? How much better is it than the (free) apps available?

It can work off sound and an accelerometer to run your timer in spy mode off the draw. It blows away a phone timer on every level

I'm using a CED 7000. I've had tit for at least 5 years. Reliable is all weather. Never had it die on me in full day use. Only "downside" is it has an internal battery so you need to remember to charge it.

I'm not buying another one until this one dies, and I'm not shy about stacking stuff I don't like in a dust bin.

in the day i used a pro tach timer to practice with. they were super expensive then and my shooting partner went in on it with me. a valuable tool i think. never used an app but since the price is so affordable now for real timers it's a no brainer not to own one.

Using one of the phone apps for dryfire is fine, you are just using 2 beeps. For live fire you need a real shot timer.

I have a Pocket pro 2, I like it's features and ease of use. My club has the Pact club 3, they are also good, I'd be happy with either, both of those use 9v battery, they last a long time but I keep spare available, same spare can go in my chronograph.

I do not like the low tone beep on the older pocket pro 1, and I don't like the 2 button reset-start on the CED, and I don't want anything that has special rechargeable battery

Last edited:
another vote for the CED 7000. picked it up this year to start getting more into practicing for USPSA. For dry fire, I actually prefer to use a phone app. Even on the low volume setting, the CED is LOUD and bugs the f*** out of the wife. Like it was already said, dry fire is just two beeps for a par time. Easier to set the par times in a phone. I use the IPSC Shot Timer app off google play store. It does have an option to use the phone microphone to try and work like a regular shot timer, but I wouldn't use it for live fire (tried it once indoors and it didn't work out well).

Could try something like a Mantis X if you’re going to spend $100-200 anyways. At least you’ll get a lot more feedback and info than just times.

+ another for CED 7000. I’ve had it for a year and it has worked every time I remembered to turn it on. When I’m practicing alone I put an 8 sec delay into it for starting beep. Then I can start it, and make myself ready for start signal.

When running dry fire practice without ear pro I can set beep level to low.

A small learning curve to it. More features than you might want but there is a simple mode for dummies which limits options (I believe it’s called Range Officer mode. 😁)

Went out shooting a few days ago..................................

Who uses a real shot timer and what kind is it? How much better is it than the (free) apps available?
I use the original Pocket Pro Timer. I like the size, display and overall useability over an phone app or a watch.

Back
Top Bottom