• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shot guns

Get a youth 20g 870, short enough to move around house with and still big enough to be a good club.
End result is if you cant succesfully rack a pump under stress its no more or less dependable than a semi auto.
Just go with a nice known design that tends to work either way.

Simpler, ostensibly/allegedly/observably more reliable, lighter weight. Cheaper. Available even in restrictive states.
Don't forget price!

Until recently, one of the advantages (in non-restrictive states) of a semi-auto shotgun was the availability of standard capacity magazines, e.g. Saiga 12; now we have factory mag-fed pump guns (e.g. 870 DM and 590M) to choose from.

short enough to move around house with and still big enough to be a good club..
Club, or halberd?
Mossy-590-M-axe.png

Get a youth 20g 870, short enough to move around house with and still big enough to be a good club.
End result is if you cant succesfully rack a pump under stress its no more or less dependable than a semi auto.
Just go with a nice known design that tends to work either way.

A 20 gauge will put a world of hurt on anybody at close range with much less recoil and easier follow up acquisition. I'd probably go with a pump action in a self defense situation in the event of an dud round but i've always been partial to auto loaders. It's much faster to rack a fresh round with a pump than an auto loader.

Last edited:
Pumps are FAR less cheaper than quality semi autos. More potential of a failure on a semi auto. I would also assume a semi auto would weigh more than a pump (could be wrong).

Personally/IMO/My .02/etc... The reliability issue that is so often quoted, is to a very large extent (if not entirely) cancelled out by range time.

Also, let’s be honest, most people are less reliable than the gun they shoot (or don’t shoot, as it were). Buy whatever, and shoot the ever loving snot out of it. If you ever need to use it, you’ll be glad you did.

The sound of racking the pump that is universally understood as "you picked the wrong F'ing house"

This is often stated, and always wrong.

Racking slides and such is for the movies and TV. If you have a weapon out in such a situation, it should be ready to rock.

As an added strike against this philosophy, if you don’t have one in the pipe, you are already one round short (not counting the ones Maura stole from you if you live in MA).

...now stepping down off my medium height horse...

Thanks for the replies. I have taken a few defensive hand gun training courses. And have plans for more but was just wondering about the shot gun in the home defense mode as well.
Another excuse for more fun and new firearm as well as a viable alternative to my pistols.

I agree with McReef and wahsben. Also,most people don't practice enough and when under stress,will likely short stroke a pump. A shotgun would not be my first choice for a home defense gun but if it must be a shotgun, look into a short barreled semi auto.

I can cycle any load through my pump shotgun. Don’t have to worry about the load being too weak to cycle a semi, especially the less expensive semis.

A shotgun would not be my first choice for a home defense gun...

A good point, and worth considering for someone in the market. If you want more than a pistol can offer, I would say a rifle is a much better choice than a shotgun.

Thin walls and kids in the next room?
Since this is inevitably going to spark the birdshot in a home defense shotgun debate where one side says "birdshot is for birds" and the other side says it's a viable home defense solution at close range......I'll just leave this here.

Spoiler alert......high brass birdshot is devastating at close range and penetrates drywall and home building material much less than buckshot or slug.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zaR1EVybUgc

Since this is inevitably going to spark the birdshot in a home defense shotgun debate where one side says "birdshot is for birds" and the other side says it's a viable home defense solution at close range......I'll just leave this here.

Spoiler alert......high brass birdshot is devastating at close range and penetrates drywall and home building material much less than buckshot or slug.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zaR1EVybUgc

If your home defense plan includes blasting a shotgun in the direction of your kids' room, you might want to rethink it just a bit...

Personally my home defence plan doesn't even include a shotgun, it's a 9mm.
It's an apartment with only one common wall, at the far end, several walls away from the bedroom and door, old THICK construction, no kids. So I'm in a pretty good situation. Add that it's NH, so no BS locks, and the cop living next door (one of the good ones) so I get a rapid response (no, it's not fair, but it is what it is).

The sound of racking the pump that is universally understood as "you picked the wrong F'ing house"

Heck, it's my doorbell tone. Speaker's on the outside of the home. Haven't had a door-to-door salesman in 15 years. ;)

I agree with McReef and wahsben. Also,most people don't practice enough and when under stress,will likely short stroke a pump. A shotgun would not be my first choice for a home defense gun but if it must be a shotgun, look into a short barreled semi auto.

I agree. For several years I shot SASS. Single-loading and double-loading a Win97 gets you awful used to the stress and working the action. I am continually amazed at people on TV showing how to slam-fire a 97 that can't reliably run the action. It's not nearly as smooth as a good 870, but dang. I never found it THAT hard.

Back
Top Bottom