• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shot an m1a today... M1A vs Scar? What would you save up for?

What do you want to do with it? Do you want to shoot it off of a bench and get sub-MOA groups? Hunt with it? Carbine courses? Just plink with irons? Nothing in particular, just itching for a new gun?

Personally, I don't see any scenario where I'd buy a SCAR. Too much money, with no tangible thing you can point to and say "this is worth the extra $1000-1500 over a regular AR-10".

The SIG 716 DMRs are badass rifles, but I would never pay MSRP for one. I'd totally pay the employee discount price for one though (around $1400). That'd be my choice for an accurate (MOA) .308 gun that would work for bench shooting as well as a carbine course or general purpose money-to-noise conversion.

If you just want a plinker, get a FAL. Probably the cheapest .308 battle rifle if you're just going to use irons.

If you want a sub-MOA, consistent bench gun then just get a bolt gun like the Remington 700, or Savage 10 or 12. A bolt gun is going to be more accurate than a military style semi-auto.

I guess I don't really have a slot for the M1A. Probably the reason I don't own one (or a Garand, or an SKS). I just don't really enjoy shooting "traditional" style iron sight semi-autos like them. An EBR style M1A with optics would probably be in the same realm as the SIG716 DMR for me (but cost around $2500).

Well said...

What do you want to do with it? Do you want to shoot it off of a bench and get sub-MOA groups? Hunt with it? Carbine courses? Just plink with irons? Nothing in particular, just itching for a new gun?

Personally, I don't see any scenario where I'd buy a SCAR. Too much money, with no tangible thing you can point to and say "this is worth the extra $1000-1500 over a regular AR-10".

The SIG 716 DMRs are badass rifles, but I would never pay MSRP for one. I'd totally pay the employee discount price for one though (around $1400). That'd be my choice for an accurate (MOA) .308 gun that would work for bench shooting as well as a carbine course or general purpose money-to-noise conversion.

If you just want a plinker, get a FAL. Probably the cheapest .308 battle rifle if you're just going to use irons.

If you want a sub-MOA, consistent bench gun then just get a bolt gun like the Remington 700, or Savage 10 or 12. A bolt gun is going to be more accurate than a military style semi-auto.

I guess I don't really have a slot for the M1A. Probably the reason I don't own one (or a Garand, or an SKS). I just don't really enjoy shooting "traditional" style iron sight semi-autos like them. An EBR style M1A with optics would probably be in the same realm as the SIG716 DMR for me (but cost around $2500).

If I was going into battle, the scar is hands down the choice. Easy MOA accuracy with bulletproof reliability as well as compatability with all the new rail mounted toys.

Other than that, I agree with you. Since I'm an IT PM and a Dad first and foremost, I had one simply because I wanted it. The SCAR gives you M1A/M14 reliability with relatively light weight and excellent accuracy. Its as light accurate as most AR10s and as maintenance free as a M1A/M14.

By the way. I'm a recent owner of a Savage 10 FCP / McMillan. I went out shooting it for group for the first time yesterday and at 200 yards was averaging groups under 1.5". Thats .75 moa. I am confident it could do better. I'm still learning how to "address" the gun properly prone and the cheek piece is not high enough so my head position wrt the scope is inconsistent.

Savage offers 40% off to NRA rifle and hunter safety instructors. (free shipping) The way this worked out, the gun only cost me $250 more than the same stock ordered from McMillan.

Last edited:
And the weight of a .50BMG.

The Rogue Chassis is 11-lbs on a 16" barrel
The M1a Socom 16 is 9 lbs
A National match is 10 lbs
M1A EBR is 11.5 lbs

Hardly .50 bmg weight. I'll still take the Rogue, due to the bull-pup design, the weight is much closer to the body for better balance, and shorter for cqb if need be. Besides, most people that consistently shoot these large battle rifles shoot off a bi-pod. I had an HK91, that thing weighed a ton, and really only comfortable to shoot off a bi-pod for extended use. To be sub MOA accurate with so much barrel and weight in front of u, a bi-pod is a must have anyway.

Last edited:
with no tangible thing you can point to and say "this is worth the extra $1000-1500 over a regular AR-10".

Box stock AR10 to a Box stock SCAR-17...I don't see a comparison. My AR-10 kicks like a mule.. SCAR doesn't. SCAR is ergonomic in everyway. Accuracy is near identical with my 2 guns. My AR10 was only a few hundred dollars less than my SCAR and it is no where near as comfortable to shoot. I like them both....But if I had to pick a rifle...Id take the much more versatile scar every time.

Wish I had more experience with the M1A.

well with a big price difference and the possibility to moving into Dorchester , looks like the M1A wins out over the others . just so i can own a rifle in the villages of boston:(

Box stock AR10 to a Box stock SCAR-17...I don't see a comparison. My AR-10 kicks like a mule.. SCAR doesn't. SCAR is ergonomic in everyway. Accuracy is near identical with my 2 guns. My AR10 was only a few hundred dollars less than my SCAR and it is no where near as comfortable to shoot. I like them both....But if I had to pick a rifle...Id take the much more versatile scar every time.

Wish I had more experience with the M1A.

If your AR recoils more than the SCAR, then its for 1 of 2 reasons:

1) Your gun is over gassed.
2) You have a plain muzzle or an ineffective compensator on it. The SCAR has a moderately effective comp that takes a lot of the sting out of shooting it. My AR10 with a BIG comp and a gas system tuned with a JP adjustable gas block has noticeably less recoil than a SCAR 17. The SCAR's gas system and spring rates seem well tuned. Probably better than most ARs. But its nowhere near as soft shooting as an AR10 thats been set up for a specific kind of ammunition.

Back
Top Bottom