Shot an m1a today... M1A vs Scar? What would you save up for?

My god is that gun amazing. Loved shooting it. Last round would turn over and stay in while the gun locked back . I take it from a bad magazine...

Shot a scar 16, want to try a scar 17.. The 16 had even less recoil than any AR I've ever shot. I really think i may be getting a case of 308 loveitis.

Debating on maybe selling one glock and put forth some cash for a m1a scout with the green synthetic furniture. It looks they are usually running around 1500 correct?

I did read and was told my the military guy who has run both during his deployment years and he prefers the scar.. But its twice the cost of the m1A..

How is comparable accuracy ?

I know the M1A would have plenty of preban mags.
But does the SCAR have pre-ban mags due to it using AR-10 mags? Was the around before 94?

Quite simply, the SCAR 17 is awesome but, as you say, it's 2X the cost of a lower end M1A. Pre-ban mags are only available if you're willing to modify FAL mags and those will be of questionable reliability.

In a non-AWB state, SCAR, hand down. In our state, you have to ask yourself a few questions:
Can you live with 10 round magazines?
Are you OK with pinning the SCAR's stock, thus losing one of its features - compactness?
If you are OK with both, than I, would take SCAR over M1A.
If you just want a .308 carbine, your options open up:
LMT MWS, and S&W MP 10, among others. You can also find pre-ban, 20 round KAC pattern magazines to use in either of these rifles. Also, 10 round Magpuls are abundant and relatively cheap.
Personally, I own MWS that is configured as a "heavy carbine" - with FCS stock and 1-6 optic. I get about 1.2 MOA at 100 yards with chrome lined 14.5" bbl and match ammo.

In a non-AWB state, SCAR, hand down. In our state, you have to ask yourself a few questions:
Can you live with 10 round magazines?
Are you OK with pinning the SCAR's stock, thus losing one of its features - compactness?
If you are OK with both, than I, would take SCAR over M1A.

Pretty much this, I really like SCARs, but the pinning of the folding stock alone would be a deal breaker as well.

I love 7.62 semis, but these days you really need to be either rich or a reloader to have any fun with them :(

Based on looks alone.... m1a its just a better looking rifle.
Accuracy? You could most likely buy/ build a AR10 that will laugh at the m1a for half the money....?

I'll probably never get within $2000 of a SCAR .

But I do have an M1A and love it. And like the old song goes, "Love the one you're with."

affording to feed the scar would me my issue/concern 308 isnt all the cheap off the shelf. love to try one someday.

1621863_10202012519734879_7105783796107851674_n.jpg

I just got a Scar. Its my new favorite gun hands down.

Attachments

• 1621863_10202012519734879_7105783796107851674_n.jpg
    1621863_10202012519734879_7105783796107851674_n.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 50
I dont own anything in .308, whats it cost to reload per round, roughly?

edit- I was going to throw in my two cents for the m1a mainly due to the wood furniture, (Scar looks too plasticy for my taste) but I re-read and saw you had mentioned a synthetic stock.

Last edited:
Being incredibly biased... An M14. If you find a pre-ban then you have the option of adding a folding/collapsible stock. They can also be made very accurate with some minor tweaking.

BTW... I'm biased... [smile]

what a gorgeous collection Sweeney

+1

Thank you!

From top down;
Fulton M14 receiver with Wolf med wgt fluted barrel in a modified Troy chassis.
Pre-ban Smith Enterprises 'forged' M14 receiver with matching serial medium weight barrel chambered in M118.
Rock-Ola forged M14 receiver and bolt with the rest an H&R USGI kit
An actual 'M1A' Springfield pre-ban 'Bush' rifle sporting a genuine Brookfield Precision Tool scope mount.

They are all mostly USGI parts. All have the M25 gas cylinder modification and welded (unitized) NM front bands except the one in the Troy chassis.

Based on looks alone.... m1a its just a better looking rifle.
Accuracy? You could most likely buy/ build a AR10 that will laugh at the m1a for half the money....?

You can most likely build a AR10 that is more accurate/better/or will "justifiably" laugh at a National Match M1A! Show me one please!

Being incredibly biased... An M14. If you find a pre-ban then you have the option of adding a folding/collapsible stock. They can also be made very accurate with some minor tweaking.

BTW... I'm biased... [smile]

Now those will reach out and touch someone in the urban and not so urban northeast. Very nice.

This is my sexy contribution to the thread:

20130521_190347_zps17ee9540.jpg

This is about a 1700 dollar rifle pre-glass. It weights 8.5lbs with no optics. It's a free floated 16" Noveske barrel and Geissele SD-E trigger. I don't love the trigger, I would if I couldn't feel a little extra bump before it breaks. I'm still considering sending it back.

Mike

You can most likely build a AR10 that is more accurate/better/or will "justifiably" laugh at a National Match M1A! Show me one please!
1. Nothing was said about a NM model but here me out.
Only reference I have on short notice is the armalite AR10T. For approx 1300-1500$ its a moa rifle as stated by armalite. 1500$ out of the box moa.
I'm doubtful of a base m1a Springfield inc being moa?
Springfield Inc super match SA9802 runs 2800.00 and I found no claim to accuracy posted on its description.
Fulton armory NM -P m1a/m14 will set you back 3600$ for a sub moa guarantee with hornady mat h ammo.
So yes I think its very possible to build a AR 10 for under 2000k that will beat a m1a more often. With all other factors as ammo and tests being equal .
Dollar for dollar AR10.......now I still would probably take the m1a over a ar10 in the end......cause I cant shoot well enough to matter much.
I like good old steel and wood.......some of these are nice looking rifles http://www.law483.com/law483_stock_gallery.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom