Shop local, shop small.

REMEMBER to shop at your local stores as often as possible! If you don't, soon they'll be gone and you will only have the big box stores left to shop at. A 3rd gun shop in NH is closing this week. And a 4th will be closed by the end of next week.

Why are they closing?

if gunshops in NH closeup where will all us ma$$holes for ammo??

REMEMBER to shop at your local stores as often as possible! If you don't, soon they'll be gone and you will only have the big box stores left to shop at. A 3rd gun shop in NH is closing this week. And a 4th will be closed by the end of next week.

I'd like this post 'til I had blisters on my clicky finger if I could.

Shop small guys. That extra 4% or whatever pittance independent business charge over big boxes means freedom of choice in the future, and you support a neighbor.

As much as I would like to support local gun stores, they make it impossible. Loose the attitude treat the customer like he is important and grow so you can buy bulk. I have seen the same stores in Mass never change for the 25 years I have carried, yet 4 seasons does great. Wonder why?

As much as I would like to support local gun stores, they make it impossible. Loose the attitude treat the customer like he is important and grow so you can buy bulk. I have seen the same stores in Mass never change for the 25 years I have carried, yet 4 seasons does great. Wonder why?

I don't think that's a fair statement. Maybe you need to get out more. I'm sure there are ones that are crass I'm sure the good outnumber the bad.

You mean treat him like he's important the way they do at the big box stores? So you should just be completely ignored?

as much as it sucks, some shops retain customers better than others. There will always be people who is going to go after the cheapest prices. I'm not too impressed with BassPro neither with my local Dicks or Walmart, so the premise that big box stores will replace smaller shops on price, service or selection is just not true. Gunshops may not be the most lucrative biz and quiet frankly economy is not in the best of shapes.

You mean treat him like he's important the way they do at the big box stores? So you should just be completely ignored?

The only time I bought anything big store is Wall Mart ammo. I went there because I can buy ammo at 7:30 on a Saturday.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think that's a fair statement. Maybe you need to get out more. I'm sure there are ones that are crass I'm sure the good outnumber the bad.

After 25 years I know what shops to avoid.

Frankly I can't find the NH Bass Pro anyway [laugh] (there are no signs that I could see on 28). Makes it easier to go to Rileys or Shooters if I am out that way.

This is very true,and when the little guys are all gone the big box stores will control what they sell to you.

Pretty sure 4 seasons qualifies as a small business. I've never been there, since I can't buy anything fun at all in MA, but 4 seasons gets a fantastic rep everywhere I go. Why? From what I hear, they do it right. HOLY SHIT THE FREE MARKET AT WORK!1!.

I don't think Adam meant support your most local (shitty) gunshop. If they suck, by all means, ****em. But we should all strive to support the little guy when they deserve it.

Frankly I can't find the NH Bass Pro anyway [laugh] (there are no signs that I could see on 28). Makes it easier to go to Rileys or Shooters if I am out that way.

Just off exit 10 off 93. I only go to the big box stores (Bass Pro and Walmart) for ammo.

Pretty sure 4 seasons qualifies as a small business. I've never been there, since I can't buy anything fun at all in MA, but 4 seasons gets a fantastic rep everywhere I go. Why? From what I hear, they do it right. HOLY SHIT THE FREE MARKET AT WORK!1!.

I don't think Adam meant support your most local (shitty) gunshop. If they suck, by all means, ****em. But we should all strive to support the little guy when they deserve it.

I would call Four Seasons a small business too. They have found a way to be successful in Mass. Too bad the shitty stores wouldn't follow the lead.

Are these shops that are closing ones that were around before the Obama presidency, or did they pop up during it?

Have you been to Acme?? How about since they moved into NH? Once you get to know Adam, Nicole, and Dad, it's a great shop. There's been a few times where I bought ammo there, for more than I know other stores were selling it for (on the shelves) but I wanted to do what I could to keep them around. Acme is also high on my list of shops to visit.

As soon as I'm financially able to, I'll be bringing a list of guns/items I want to Acme...

Have you been to Acme?? How about since they moved into NH? Once you get to know Adam, Nicole, and Dad, it's a great shop. There's been a few times where I bought ammo there, for more than I know other stores were selling it for (on the shelves) but I wanted to do what I could to keep them around. Acme is also high on my list of shops to visit.

As soon as I'm financially able to, I'll be bringing a list of guns/items I want to Acme...

Being from Wareham Ma, shopping there is not a possibility. He seems to be on track and will be successful.

i miss my weekly visits with tom at fairground trader in brockton, closed last november/december. even if i only bought a pack of targets it was nice just to hang out for while.

class guy, fair prices considering his limited buying power. as a relative newbie he was terrific with regard to my lack of firearms knowledge and ALWAYS went out of his way to help school me

Last edited:
Being from Wareham Ma, shopping there is not a possibility. He seems to be on track and will be successful.

IMO, he is... Side bonus is he carries items from Andy (quality leather holsters, belts, etc.) and [cerebus], at least I think that's where his gongs/steel targets come from... While it's a small shop, it's very well laid out. I've been in some shops that really should move to someplace larger.

Oh, and the two 50 BMG rifles on display would give any red blooded male a chubby of epic dimensions. If not, you might want to check your pulse. [rofl2]

People don't get into the firearm retail business because they're money hungry and plan on making a killing, most do it because they love doing it. They are avid hunters, shooters, etc. and they like to share their passion with others and do it for a living. It's the same for many other niche environments whether it be sports related (as I cyclists I have seen a few stores come and go), food related (how many boutique coffee shops have sprouted up over the past couple of years?), tattoo, hobby, etc. It's fantastic and I wish them the best but many times these people have more than enough passion but less than enough business sense. They expect everyone to share their passion and intensity and forget to realize they have to be competitive. They do a lousy job of carrying items that others might want because they fail to realize that the consumers tastes just might be a little different than theirs. They make lousy decisions when it comes to marketing, staffing, pricing, location, etc. because they are too enveloped in what they do. It sucks when they go but it just shows how friggen hard it is to run a successful business. Not everyone can do it.

In my experience living on the South Shore, most of the local gun shops have better prices than Dick's or Bass Pro for guns and ammo, with a few exceptions. The Dick's in Hanover will never get another dime of my firearm moneys since they started inputting license numbers and info for ammo purchases. The Sportsman's Den in Quincy is a prime example of a small shop that has grown despite a weak economy due to excellent customer service and pricing. The owner, Ron, is a great guy who truly cares about our 2A rights. I bought an AR from him during the height of hysteria and it was $850. He even threw in a free box of ammo.

I bought my first gun and a lot of ammo from B&E shooting supplies in East Bridgewater. This place was smaller than my bedroom, but he knew what to stock and was fast with ordered guns.He was always great to deal with. Small shops can be good.

Back
Top Bottom