• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shooting without a licence

How far we have fallen, when someone has to ask "Can I shoot a gun without a license"...

The Founding Fathers are spinning like tops.

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

Last edited:
In Mass they frown on you shooting machine guns without the green card. Jack.

Well, it was common place for machine gun shoots with novices until the kid got shot.

OP, there is a good rule of thumb when teaching someone without papers, provided they are not a prohibited person, to only use ONE gun. You could have more stored properly but one on the range at a time. That way the newbie is under supervision and no one can say they are shooting on their own.

Pro tip- don’t impress the new shooter with the awesome power of your 44 magnum. Start with a 22 or your first day will likely be the last day with the newbie. Welcome aboard

The places I can think of...

American Firearms School - N. Attleboro - very good selection of rental guns. Long guns too
Mass Firearms School - Holliston - very good selection of rentals. Handguns and PCC. No center fire rifle
Cape Gunworks - Hynnis. You can shoot damn near everything short of a cannon there, and they are probably working on the cannon.
Manchester Firing Line - Manchester NH. Very good selection of rentals. Handguns and long guns as well as full auto.
Granite State Indoor Range and Gun Shop. Hudson NH. Very Large selection of rentals. Handguns, long guns and full auto.
Bob's Gun shop & shooting range - Salisbury. Good selection. Mostly handguns but have times for long guns
The Gun Parlor - Worcester - Impressive selection, Full auto rentals available (with Range Officer)

Prices vary. Check out their websites. Hope you have a ton of fun.

The places I can think of...

American Firearms School - N. Attleboro - very good selection of rental guns. Long guns too
Mass Firearms School - Holliston - very good selection of rentals. Handguns and PCC. No center fire rifle
Cape Gunworks - Hynnis. You can shoot damn near everything short of a cannon there, and they are probably working on the cannon.
Manchester Firing Line - Manchester NH. Very good selection of rentals. Handguns and long guns as well as full auto.
Granite State Indoor Range and Gun Shop. Hudson NH. Very Large selection of rentals. Handguns, long guns and full auto.
Bob's Gun shop & shooting range - Salisbury. Good selection. Mostly handguns but have times for long guns
The Gun Parlor - Worcester - Impressive selection, Full auto rentals available (with Range Officer)

Prices vary. Check out their websites. Hope you have a ton of fun.

Best post of the thread. OP choose whatever is closest to you and have a great time!

Members
Brand new member so please excuse if my question is a little dumb.
For her birthday, October 10, my wife wants to be able to shoot a gun.
She has never shot anything before.
My question is can this be done in Massachusetts, or anyplace in New England? She does not have any training or any licences. If yes, where?
Thanks for your help.
Hmmmm. Who is she gonna shoot with in MA??? Do you have an LTC?

Hmmmm. Who is she gonna shoot with in MA??? Do you have an LTC?

Most of the places do not require you to have a license, as long as you are not shooting alone. Sadly, it is to prevent suicide. I assume the theory is that you are pretty unlikely to kill yourself if you bring someone with you. However, if memory serves, this did not prevent a tragic suicide not long ago at Bob's.

Most of the places do not require you to have a license, as long as you are not shooting alone. Sadly, it is to prevent suicide. I assume the theory is that you are pretty unlikely to kill yourself if you bring someone with you. However, if memory serves, this did not prevent a tragic suicide not long ago at Bob's.
I don't know about other places in MA but MFS requires at least one person on the lane to have a license (any others on that lane are under that persons supervision). If you don't have a license you can pay one of their instructors for private instruction, even if all they do is stand there.

Pro tip- don’t impress the new shooter with the awesome power of your 44 magnum. Start with a 22 or your first day will likely be the last day with the newbie. Welcome aboard

Definitely this ^^^^. It’s like taking your girlfriend to the top of the mountain on her first time skiing. Ask me how I know.

It's already been said but it's worth repeating , focus on the safety part first , before she ever fires a shot.
Then get ready to increase your ammo budget by a lot.
We don't leave the range till it's all gone with mine.

I second this. I bring my wife to the range frequently. She doesn't have a license but took the basic firerams course and knows basic fireram safety and function. When teaching your wife, it's important to make it fun or have someone else there to show her and you as well. You may not need it, but women and wives can get defensive when their husbands or a man is telling them what and how to do things. Tread lightly, emphasize safety but try to keep it light hearted.
I got my lady popping clay pigeons at 100 yards with irons(from a rest) then set her up with an optic and something with a little more power and now she goes through more 5.56 that I do.

I don't know about other places in MA but MFS requires at least one person on the lane to have a license (any others on that lane are under that persons supervision). If you don't have a license you can pay one of their instructors for private instruction, even if all they do is stand there.

Wait....you can get PAID to stand there? Crap....all the money I've left on the table, up on the Trap Range! [laugh]

Well, the law does require direct supervision by a LTC holder. So what you are saying is that MFS complies with the law. I'm not a fan of their operation, but it sounds like they are doing this correctly.

Well, the law does require direct supervision by a LTC holder. So what you are saying is that MFS complies with the law. I'm not a fan of their operation, but it sounds like they are doing this correctly.
I wasn't saying anything different, I was just responding to fencer's post that most don't require a license, and limiting my answer to only what I personally know.

OP provided a question with lil to almost zero details.

Has been back on the forum

John Flynn

Male, 69

Profile Page Start a Private Conversation Follow Ignore View Feedback Profile

Trade Rating:
0%

John Flynn was last seen:
Monday at 10:21 PM
<<<<<
and has not answered any questions that might help him to get an accurate/detailed response.

close this damn thread /

:D
You could at least go green before commenting on other new members.

Be careful with those ARs that weight as much as 10 moving boxes and shoot a .50 cal round that should be licensed.

Seriously, be careful, you can pull a muscle shooting those evil things.

Depending if your in western ma and when her birthday is but your welcome to come to my place...
I haven shot in awhile and in the next 2 weeks I plan on going shooting. I’ll probably be going full auto... but won’t if you think that’s to much for her first experience... I run a safe place. PM me

Awesome of you to offer this!

One other thing to consider is indoors vs outdoors. I've taken a lot of new folks to the range and some do not enjoy the indoor shooting experience, especially if the guy next to you is running an AR with brake.

I haven't been to AFS in a few years but there were a couple clowns last time I went who thought it was hilarious to try and intimidate/scare the woman I had brought to introduce to firearms - doing magdumps etc. It took some convincing but she finally agreed to go again and this time I brought her to an outdoor range with no one else there and she enjoyed the hell out of it. LTC class soon followed, joined her local range and thankfully we have another one in the fold. No I do not have pics.

The forum doesn't require green membership to reply to posts, or to start a topic, Einstein.
Did I say it did? Serious reading comprehension fail.
But I get it, you deserve free stuff, so what if others are paying for it, it should be free for you.

May I ask, what it is about their operation that you are not a fan of?
Serious question as I respect your opinion and point of view.
It's a very long story going back to his early days in business. I've posted about it before and ended up discussing it with him (some was online here and I think some was a phone conversation). When I first went public with my Mass Gun Law Seminar he hit me up immediately asking me for a copy of my slide deck (something that took me 6 months to put together and is always a work in progress . . . changing as things change). I knew that he intended to market my seminar as his and kill my business if I gave him the slides. It is my intellectual property and nobody gets the slides.

Otherwise here's a comparison and TTBOMK it is still true (haven't asked about it in years):
- When I teach NRA Home Firearm Safety I include more material than MSP requires on the law, I also have my students shoot 50 rds (mix of .22LR, 9mm, .223 and 7.62x39). Last I was told his students get to shoot 10 rds of .22LR (he was having instructors load/unload as it took too long for new students to do this and lots of people were lined up waiting . . . unsure if this is still true).
- For a number of years he sub-contracted me to train students at Brainree R&P for the Moon Island test. I was taking ~1.5 hrs/student and every student passed first time thru with scores very close to what they did with me. He was paying me for an hour and when I mentioned that, he told me that it was my problem (I'll never short-change my students, it's not about the money with me). Suddenly he asks me if we are all even (he had paid me what he owed me) and then nothing for many months. I asked someone I knew if he had brought it "in house" and confirmed that this is what happened. We weren't enemies and there was no excuse for him not letting me know (and this is something he admitted when we talked a year or so after the fact).
- There was a NES thread about the class for FL (which requires live fire). He posted that one round was adequate to meet their requirements and I took him to task. True that it probably meets their law, but it certainly doesn't meet their intent. (NOTE: I don't agree that gov't should force you to take classes, shoot or meet a minimum score, but if they require it, train your students adequately.)

That's a fair synopsis, but not all of it.

OP provided a question with lil to almost zero details.

Has been back on the forum

John Flynn

Male, 69

Profile Page Start a Private Conversation Follow Ignore View Feedback Profile

Trade Rating:
0%

John Flynn was last seen:
Monday at 10:21 PM
<<<<<
and has not answered any questions that might help him to get an accurate/detailed response.

close this damn thread /

:D

Perhaps the OP has found the info he was looking for and didn't feel the need to comment further. When I take a step back and read your post, I think..Well he is almost 70 years old and asking for advice on where he can safely introduce his wife to shooting. He sat down with his Google machine, something that not all 70 year old folks are comfortable with, found NES, registered as a user, and started a thread with a very good question, which received some pretty good answers and a couple of offers to help out. This thread delivers.

What we know about Mr. Flynn is that he is 69 years old, cares enough about his wife to try and make this happen for her, and that Mr. and Mrs Flynn both care enough about their rights that he found exactly the right place to ask his question. We also know that he is a man of few words who is willing to listen more than he talks. I hope we see more like him on NES.

I would like to keep the thread open.

Back
Top Bottom