• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shooting without a licence

Members
Brand new member so please excuse if my question is a little dumb.
For her birthday, October 10, my wife wants to be able to shoot a gun.
She has never shot anything before.
My question is can this be done in Massachusetts, or anyplace in New England? She does not have any training or any licences. If yes, where?
Thanks for your help.

There are also multiple places that will rent to unlicensed people.

Where are you? (Roughly)

Also look to local clubs for intro to shooting, ladies nights, there is a club down the cape doing a “date” night.

Most of these events are focused on getting new shooters ahooting.

OP: are YOU licensed?

If you are, and have a venue, you can take her.

If you are, whomever ran your course should have told you about this.

If you are not, see above.

If she's really new, don't throw her into the Deep End of the Caliber Pool - start off with .22 cal, and, if she's happy and safe, maybe a light .38. The Earth-shattering kaboom of a "fun" pistol can be a bit much for a newbie.

Good luck.

RI also does not require licensure for the act of shooting if you live in southern Mass rather than northern Mass. There's plenty (four, minimum) of public rental ranges in RI.

The license issue has been addressed.

Before you take her anywhere, I suggest you make sure she understands the safety rules of gun handling. Finger off the trigger, muzzle down range etc.

Taking a first time adult shooting is no different than taking a young kid.....you have to watch them closely.

Also agree with the above about starting with a .22 LR.......and I'd start her with a rifle so there is less chance of her sweeping anyone or herself. Then move to a handgun. I started new shooters with a .22 revolver after a bolt action rifle.

If you do have your own gun and a solid backstop (i.e basement wall) after checking it's clear a couple or five times maybe show her how it works, where the empty mag goes, align the sights type of thing, and dry fire it before hand.

I've taken people shooting (other women) and generally when we get to the range I talk about a specific weapon, handling it, the 4 rules of gun safety, and range safety. Safety is something of a must with me and I have yet to take someone who doesn't go away understanding the importance of good safety. There is only so much one can learn in the classroom and there is nothing like being at the range to make the learning make sense.

ps: Give her something nice and easy to start with. Most newcomers I have taken start off with my Ruger SR-22.

It's already been said but it's worth repeating , focus on the safety part first , before she ever fires a shot.
Then get ready to increase your ammo budget by a lot.
We don't leave the range till it's all gone with mine.
I feel for you, but how would you like to have grandkids that can't get enough of full auto? Talk about going thru ammo. Jack.

OP, as far as I'm concerned... both of you are licensed.

iu

Keep a copy on you at all times...

Excellent advise (as always) from the many folks in the NES community! I am continuously amazed at the level of knowledge here at NES!

I'm no expert, but this video looks more like they were on a "first date".

The follow-up video was "John takes an anti-gunner out to dinner..."

Back
Top Bottom