Shooting with progressive glasses

I haven't tried prone shooting, but you don't have to move your head much, the focus changes right at the center of field of view, i.e., the horizon,
so just a tiny tilt up or down get you from infinity to the front sight.
The problem is when your in a solid shooting position especially prone or sitting and standing your looking through the upper corner of your lenses.
Plinking off the bench or just screwing around I can get by with cheaters but not good for accuracy.
If it works for you its good.

View attachment 329399
You could try something like these. Ask your eye doctor to have the top part focused at your front sight. Although I've never seen anyone wearing these at my shooting range.

I tried progressives when I first went to bifocals and I can’t wear them. I had some sort of fishbowl effect and they made me sick to wear them.

I now need trifocals so I may go this route.

Bob

I wear progressives and they work fine for shooting. Once you get used to them you don't notice anything different.

I know I must have posted this before, but it seems fitting to throw it in here again. I'm 67 and only wear glasses to read indoors. I'm currently up to a 2.00. Last eye exam Dr. said I didn't need glasses Yet. I wear these inverted magnifiers at the range They work for Me with very little head movement. TOP FOCAL TACTICAL

View attachment 329399
You could try something like these. Ask your eye doctor to have the top part focused at your front sight. Although I've never seen anyone wearing these at my shooting range.
THis is one of the two most popular options. I personally had my dominant eye focus point set at the front sight of my gun and the non dominant eye set at distance. My optometrist discussed both options with me, did the exam and then set the prescription up in a set of test goggles (awkward but worked!) and let me test them with my unloaded pistol in his office.

Bottom line is find an optometrist with this service. I found mine from asking people at the club and at other matches. (FYI I use Dr. Jamie Delugan at Capeway Opticians in Marshfield).

I wear regular bifocals and I got really tired of constantly nodding "yes" every time I went to shoot. I even had my bifocals custom cut so that the lower half (close up) was cut higher than normal. I still hated them.

So, I simply went back to the doc and had them cut me a single-power lens that focused precisely on the front site of my handgun when I held my arms straight out in front of me, normal shooting position. It's about 20". In your case measure from your nose to your fingertips. Have a pair of inexpensive glasses made for that focal point. Now, when I go to shoot pistol, I've got a precision, in-focus front sight. The target? It's going to be blurry no doubt but if you have to choose where you need to focus, you'll agree it's on your front sight. This also work perfectly with my rifles, too. The front sights are in the same basic plane and therefore nicely focused. The glasses got were industrial and have side shields, too. Good protection and excellent sight. You just have to get used to the target being a bit out of focus. My accuracy and target acquisition has improved a lot.

Oh, btw, these glasses also sit with my computer as they focus perfectly on the screen at the same distance.

Dr. Stewart Ginsberg @ Natick Eye Associates can set you up with prescription shooting glasses. Whenever I see him I bring in one of my favorite pistols and he will do an eye exam specifically for shooting. He is a very good optometrist, very professional, he's a gun owner and shooter himself. Plus I think he is a member on this forum (Idoktr?)
He actually keeps a replica gun in his exam room for shooters (Beretta, if memory serves). I thought that was cool.

I’m going to bump this to see if there is anymore ideas.

I‘m trying to decide which route to go. I’m looking for a solution for EDC.

Im debating ton trying this lens style or just going to a red dot optic on my S&W Shield 45.

Bob

1580832497300-png.329399

Finally got in to see the eye doctor today and she said most of her shooters are using the mono-vision and have had more success with one day disposable contacts as they are fairly inexpensive, it Is easy to tweak the prescription, and it’s one and done.

The dedicated mono-vision pair of range glasses is most popular among the respondents in this thread. Are there any coatings or tints like transitions that you would recommend? Amber is the one I see the most often in articles.

FWIW:
I will be trying regular trifocals for my everyday glasses. Most of my shooting is at the range but I have been thinking a lot about trying IDPA or USPSA.

Thanks,

Bob

@whacko
@greencobra
@mac1911
@rep308
@spt_1955

I have been there progressives do not work it is near impossible to get the correct focal length consistently and will change your shots on target. Have a

real byfocals made and you will be ok. Explain what you need to you eye Dr.

I wear progressive glasses and can only see the front sight and enough of the target to be accurate out to 25 feet. After that the target is gone if focusing on the front sight. My bullseye pistols all wear red dots. Shooting a rifle with a magnifying scope is no problem. Good luck.
I just ordered new glasses yesterday. One for everyday, a pair for work (both progressive) and a yellow tint fixed focus ( optometrist recommended) for shooting.
I think this will make sense for me, even with a scope; you focus, you move your head with progressives and the focus changes; won't do that with fixed
We will see, get them next week

Finally got in to see the eye doctor today and she said most of her shooters are using the mono-vision and have had more success with one day disposable contacts as they are fairly inexpensive, it Is easy to tweak the prescription, and it’s one and done.

The dedicated mono-vision pair of range glasses is most popular among the respondents in this thread. Are there any coatings or tints like transitions that you would recommend? Amber is the one I see the most often in articles.

FWIW:
I will be trying regular trifocals for my everyday glasses. Most of my shooting is at the range but I have been thinking a lot about trying IDPA or USPSA.

Thanks,

Bob

@whacko
@greencobra
@mac1911
@rep308
@spt_1955
Little late to respond but there is a good amount of tints available.
I always have liked a pale yellow. Good all around “color” to help contrast a bit.
I run Decot and Randolph Engineering
The Decots are easier to get Rx lens and the frames sit very high which helps when shooting prone/sitting

I wear multifocal contacts generally.. I have had progressive lens glasses for about 6 months now.. I don't wear them all that often, but they are a bit tough to get used to... I prefer my contact lenses.

Back
Top Bottom