Shooting with progressive glasses

Wickedcoolname

NES Member
I just had my eyes examined and I'm graduating from readers to progressives. I'm not happy about it, but it is what it is. I'm curious how progressives work for rifle and handgun shooting. Can you see your front sight well enough? Or do the progressive wearers out there wear different glasses when shooting?

Find an optometrist that you can work with. Mine is married to a guy I shoot with. So, when I see her, I can tell her quite frankly that I need to be able to wear glasses while riding a motorcycle, working on a computer and while shooting. I've unloaded my gun in her office and done sight checks when she's working with me on a prescription.

I have progressive bi-focals, and I wear them all the time except when I'm sleeping, (sometimes even then - when I fall asleep on the couch). I shoot rifle, pistol and shotgun wearing them.

I have progressives. Do not work well for me with 67 year old eyes and shooting. I went to an optometrist who took my close prescription and distance prescription and made me a single prescription pair of safety glasses with the prescription being halfway between the close and distance prescription. Front sight is now in focus.

I wear progressive bifocals daily.

But ....I had a set of safety glasses made up as single vision just for shooting. It is a pain in the ass to read anything when I have them on at the club......checking data cards on my reloads is an ass ache......but I shoot fine with the single vision and the goal is to shoot well right?

A set of prescription safety glasses single vision Costs about $150.

Progressives do not work it is very hart to find the exact same sighting every time. I learned long ago that the only glasses that will work for me are lined bifocals. I have glasses made up for shooting in lined bifocals and in trifocals and my regular everyday glasses are shatterproof lined bifocals.

I wear progressive bifocals daily.

But ....I had a set of safety glasses made up as single vision just for shooting. It is a pain in the ass to read anything when I have them on at the club......checking data cards on my reloads is an ass ache......but I shoot fine with the single vision and the goal is to shoot well right?

A set of prescription safety glasses single vision Costs about $150.
Where at may I ask? Might try that.

Where at may I ask? Might try that.
I use bay state eye associates in Methuen.

Once you go in and order them it takes about 4-5 days for them to come in.

The $150 ones are not "Wiley x" or "oakley"fashion......but they work well......protect my eyes properly.....and I can shoot fine with them.

The club shoots and practice time are not fashion shows lol. I just keep them in my range bag.

I got ones like this.....frames are about $80 then they add your prescription in poly safety glasses

206.jpg

Last edited:
Dr. Stewart Ginsberg @ Natick Eye Associates can set you up with prescription shooting glasses. Whenever I see him I bring in one of my favorite pistols and he will do an eye exam specifically for shooting. He is a very good optometrist, very professional, he's a gun owner and shooter himself. Plus I think he is a member on this forum (Idoktr?)

I wear progressive glasses and can only see the front sight and enough of the target to be accurate out to 25 feet. After that the target is gone if focusing on the front sight. My bullseye pistols all wear red dots. Shooting a rifle with a magnifying scope is no problem. Good luck.

I've worn glasses for myopia since my pre-teen years, and aging is catching up to me in vision at reading distances. In my latest visit, I told my optometrist that I needed a pair of glasses for working on computers, and focus at their sharpest at an extended-arm's length. It came to about +1.0 to my usual prescription that take my corrected vision to 20/20: meaning if my normal is -2.5, this pair would be 1.5. Astigmatism is the same.

What I found out is that now the front sights of my pistols are crystal clear, as are red dots on my rifles. It makes me super happy, and I didn't have to whip out a gun at my optometrist's office! The new pair is passable for driving as well.

I have tri progressives (reading, computer and distance) for daily and regular progressives (reading and distance) only for my shooting glasses. I gave up on iron sights for pistols (all red dots) and all my long guns I shoot in a regular basis have optics. I went to the Natick doc mentioned above and was not 100% happy. So I ended up with Steven A. Gibeau ABOC of Salem Vision Center. 8 Stiles Road #106 Salem, New Hampshire 03079. Steven even came out to the Harvard Sportsman's Club to watch me shoot and make sure everything work. I could not be happier. Look him up and tell him Irish Alan sent you!

I just had my eyes examined and I'm graduating from readers to progressives. I'm not happy about it, but it is what it is. I'm curious how progressives work for rifle and handgun shooting. Can you see your front sight well enough? Or do the progressive wearers out there wear different glasses when shooting?
Welcome to the club.
If looking to shoot small groups into the X ring with iron sights do yourself a favor and get the proper Rx you need FOR SHOOTING
You should consult a eye Dr to go over what you need for shooting.
Dr Stew Ginsberg or Natick Eye Associates is a shooter and knows how to get where you need to be.
I went from +.25 micro lense in my hooded rear sight on my service rifle to now needing +.75 and or +1.00 Rx
Depending on light and back ground plus the distance to target.
At 600 yards the +1.00 causes to much “distortion” down range and I get a head ache . So i keep my +.50 handy.
I know some really focally challenged shooters who just get the one lens for the aiming eye and find that middle ground where they can focus on the sights and still see the target well enough to find the center.

8ADFB4F1-CFBA-4EED-AF29-A3B8FD1F02DE.jpegThis is my old +.50 single lens set up. Randolph rangers which are pretty darn good at keeping the frames out of view when shooting prone as they sit high. Plus they sit away from your face to help with fogging.
Im looking at a set of Decot HyWyd now.

I am struggling with them. Had them since last May. I still use readers for my work PC. My long distance vision is now 20-20 using them and the mid range I can read the dash board controls.

Both scopes, 1 ML and 1 Deer Rifle I had to adjust the ocular lens so I was committed to using the glasses this past hunting season. Different for sure. Did I see better in the woods with them, no doubt. The biggest issue was the snow, sleet and rain. The glasses got wet and fogged and I spent a lot of time wiping them to see.

Progressive lenses bend the light differently at each point of the lens. They make you think you have good sight alignment when you do not. Therefore they are extremely frustrating to use for shooting.

The best move is to get some single-plane shooting glasses that are set so you can see the front sight sharply and still see the target fairly sharp as well. I bought a set of Revision Military glasses with the prescription insert, so when adjusting my prescription I only have to buy a new insert. They were the cheapest quality solution I could find, and I get four colors for varying conditions.

I use store-bought reading glasses for shooting. When shooting a rifle, I find myself looking out the top left corner of the lens, which is NOT the correct lens to see the front sight. I use the same cheaters for pistol shooting. The cheaters I use are somewhere between my long distance prescription and my reading prescription. (+1.00 distance, +2.00 reading. Shooting glasses are 1.25 or 1.50)

I can't do it with my progressives. I have dedicated shooting glasses that I can't read crap. I bought extended shotgun chokes because they have big letters to identify them. I can't see the choke notches for crap.

I use store-bought reading glasses for shooting. When shooting a rifle, I find myself looking out the top left corner of the lens, which is NOT the correct lens to see the front sight. I use the same cheaters for pistol shooting. The cheaters I use are somewhere between my long distance prescription and my reading prescription. (+1.00 distance, +2.00 reading. Shooting glasses are 1.25 or 1.50)
The lens I have are corrective across the lens. know that has limitations and can only work so far.
The cheap readers can get you buy and if You can find ones with wire frames you can manipulate them some.
B jones makes a inexpensive pair of glasses than can be bent to fit. I could not get them bent enough for my likes.

sadly the best option for corrective lens for shooting is either a rear diopter with inserts or adjustable or those. Knoblochs the olympic shooters wear. You can position those anyway you like

I have progressive lens and they work great for shooting; if I want to see the front sight I tip my head up a bit, and if I want to see the target I tip my head down a little. My glasses let me focus on infinity through the top half, and progressively closer towards the bottom.

Home Depot has safety glasses with diopters from 1.0 - 2.5 for short money. I think I paid $12 a few years back.
They're online and some strengths are in store.

I have progressive lens and they work great for shooting; if I want to see the front sight I tip my head up a bit, and if I want to see the target I tip my head down a little. My glasses let me focus on infinity through the top half, and progressively closer towards the bottom.
I would need those in reverse. No way I could stand trying to lean my head back to see the sights especially prone. Position?

I would need those in reverse. No way I could stand trying to lean my head back to see the sights especially prone. Position?
I haven't tried prone shooting, but you don't have to move your head much, the focus changes right at the center of field of view, i.e., the horizon,
so just a tiny tilt up or down get you from infinity to the front sight.

Back
Top Bottom