• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shooting with prescription eye glasses

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and recently applied for an LTC in my home town. Everything went well, so I'm hoping to have it in 4-6 weeks.

I wear glasses and I'm wondering about alternatives to purchasing prescription shooting glasses. I'm interested in hearing what other folks are using at the range.

Thanks,
David

Wolverine industrial safety glasses with detachable side shield, photogray lenses. Righ teye corrected to 28" from eye, left eye measured for correction at the same distance and then a .25 diopter adjustment added to that eye only to improve left eye distance vision without creating significant OD/OS assymetry.

Rx wrap arounds weren't a good option for me since I didn't want inserts (more layers of optic to get dirty), and a +5.5/+6.0 correction is a bit much to do in curved lenses.

David,

Welcome to the forum.

I wear glasses (badly far-sighted) that are progressive bifocals.

I also had some custom Rx shooting glasses lenses made for the ESS ICE Shooting Glasses http://www.gunnersalley.com/product/ESSGLASSES

I can definitely shoot better with the Rx shooting glasses on. But walking around with them is a PITA as the focal length isn't right for that.

A pair of safety glasses that fit over regular Rx glasses will "work" but tend to fog up badly and quickly. Since these are available at places like Lowes for probably <$5/pair you might give them a try.

There should be a (sticky?) thread in the equipment forum on glasses from a few years ago. You might try to find it with Advanced Search (must use >3 characters to search on).

I too wear glasses and I shoot wearing those same glasses. Mine are made out of some sort of a plastic (carbon something or other) so I've been told that they are OK to shoot in. Besides, wearing a baseball cap low over my eyes helps to protect my face from empty casings flying in every which way.

Polycarbonate lenses in your regular frames should be OK. I still have a pair of Rx Oakley sunglasses though.

Wow, thanks for quick constructive replies. It sounds like the first thing I need to do is find out what my lenses are made of and then maybe just accept that I should invest in prescription shooting glasses.

Thanks again!

My Rx glasses are poly carb too. Ensure you get GOOD glasses. Mine are made by Zeiss. Pricey, but well worth it. Readily available too. Most eye shops should stock them or be able to easily order them.

A few months ago I searched this forum and found Blue Hills Eye Associates recommended by LenS. When I called, I explained my "special need" and was made to feel quite comfortable with my request to get an RX specifically for shooting. I was able to bring my unloaded and concealed pistol with me for the eye exam. I had an RX made up which enables me to clearly see my front sights and the target beyond. My regular old age bi-focals weren't exacting enough for me to wear shooting. I had the new shooting lens made of polycarbonate and I purchased the old industrial style safety frames with eye wings. They are not the most stylish glasses but they do the job.
Thank you LenS for the information about Blue Hill Eye Associates.
Best Regards.

Dr. Walter Potaznick, OD (Mansfield, MA) http://www.1optometrist.com/about.html also fits shooters. He has a bullseye in his exam room and will fit you with unloaded gun in hand (offer him the gun, action open, to double-check, as a courtesy, of course). Might still have a shooter's discount - worth asking. He was able to make bifocals with strong near-sighted correction (can't see things far away or close up) that work well for daily & shooting use (with clip on side-shields).

I'm about to buy a new pair of glasses. What is "special" about a prescription for shooting glasses? As far as I know I have regular near-sight - I don't need bifocals. The distances I shoot vary from 7 to 25 yards with pistols and out to 100 yards with rifles.

Looking for that extra edge in Bullseye this winter! :)

thanks,
Chuck

If they were made in MA, your Rx glasses will be made of shatter resistant materials. I just shoot in my regular glasses.

If you worry about the sides, you can buy little wrap-around thingies that slide onto the arms of your regular glasses.

Of course, you do risk losing your Rx glasses if something were to happen.

I just went to Lenscrafters about 12 years ago and got a pair of safety glasses. Granted, I've been through MANY different scripts..so I really need to get a new pair. But I plan on just going there again and having them make up another pair of shooting glasses.

I'm about to buy a new pair of glasses. What is "special" about a prescription for shooting glasses? As far as I know I have regular near-sight - I don't need bifocals. The distances I shoot vary from 7 to 25 yards with pistols and out to 100 yards with rifles.

Looking for that extra edge in Bullseye this winter! :)

thanks,
Chuck
Hi chuck,
The "special" in prescription glasses depends upon your eyesight. My regular bifocals are good for reading and most close up work. I could see my front sights when I held out my gun in the ready to fire position but not as clearly as I would like. I had the doctor flip the lenses until I could clearly see my front sight with arm extended. Now I can see the front sight clearly as well as the target and what is beyond. My safety glasses cost me $100. and I think that was a good investment.
You may not need prescription safety glasses at this point in your life. [grin]
Best Regards.

000138.jpg
(*)

Hunting & Pistol Shooting​

OLD PISTOL SHOOTERS DON'T GIVE UP
THEY JUST LOSE - THEIR SIGHTS

By: Bob Decot (1948-1994)

As we get older we experience a condition known as presbyopia, meaning "old eyes". This is the time in our life most commonly described as "our arms not being long enough to read a newspaper or menu". Simply put, we are not able to focus on objects close up as well as in the past. To focus on objects closer than optical infinity, we use a process known as accommodation. When we accommodate, the ciliary muscles connected to the crystalline lens inside our eye contract, thereby making the lens thicker and more curved. This increases the dioptric power of the eye and enables us to focus on closer objects.

When we are young this lens is very flexible. However after about 10 years of age there is a gradual loss of this flexibility that usually goes unnoticed until about age 40. At this point our accommodation decreases rapidly. This is the point at which we require glasses or perhaps bifocals with prescription called "plus lens power" for close work and reading. Plus lens power enables you to focus on objects closer to your eye.

Also at this time, you notice the sights on your rifle or pistol are becoming increasingly blurred. Rifle and pistol shooters need a clear sight picture. If you look at the sights through your bifocals, you notice that the sights are now sharp, however everything down range is out of focus.

It is not possible to have clear vision at both near and far simultaneously. When you were young you could look at the target and then fixate on the sights. As you age and lose accommodation this becomes more difficult. You must now substitute an optical system, i.e., a lens to make up for your lack of accommodation.

The answer to your dilemma is simple. You now require additional 'plus lens power' in relation to your distance prescription, the same type of power that is present in your bifocal, only less because the sights being farther than reading material. How much less? The answer is dependent on many factors: the type of shooting you are doing, the type of sights you are using, your barrel length, the range of your targets and your distance correction. Keep in mind that the more plus lens power added, the more the targets down range will be out of focus. While you have lost some of your accommodation, you still have some accommodation available.

You should make an appointment with your optometrist or ophthalmologist for a complete eye exam and refraction. Whether you wear glasses all day long or not, you can benefit from this practice. With a proper explanation of your needs the doctor will be able to give you a "shooting prescription." This will be a prescription for a shooting and should not be used as everyday wear.

So you don't necessarily need a second pair, Decot glasses are available with interchangeable lenses. This frame is appropriate for normal wear, and with the insertion of a single lens, your glasses may then be used for shooting. This is a very practical solution. You will have a pair of bifocal glasses for distance and reading, and with the insertion of the shooting lens for proper sight picture, the non shooting eye with your reading bifocal correction, provides you with the ability to see closer up for reloading.

Dependent on your shooting sport, some generalities can be stated. Pistol and rifle shooters require some additional plus power. Remember, plus power is the same type of power that is in your bifocals or reading glasses. For shooting you will require less power than for reading. Rifle shooters will require less additional plus power than pistol shooters, because of the rifle sights being farther from the eye than pistol sights. Younger shooters will require less plus power than the more mature shooter because they still have much of their accommodation available. Pistol shooters normally require less than half the power that is prescribed for reading. It is important to explain to your doctor that you don't want the target to be too blurred. The more plus power added, the clearer things up close become. You don't want to be totally corrected at arms length because the target will be excessively out of focus.

You have lost some of your accommodation, but not all. You must impress upon your doctor that you are aiming for short periods of time and wish to be able to use most of the accommodation you still have available, while keeping enough in reserve to avoid eye fatigue.

Different types of shooting will have different requirements, therefore it is important the person dispensing your glasses is knowledgeable of the various options available to you. In shooting sports where movement is not required, the simplest solution is putting the shooting prescription in single vision in the shooting eye only and frosting the lens in the non shooting eye. This will prevent looking down range to check your target.

In shooting sports. where movement is required, the best solution is an upside down bifocal lens, with the additional power required for shooting in the bifocal, placed slightly above the pupil. Now you have clear vision down range while moving, and need only drop your head slightly to have a clear sight picture. You must tell your optician that an important consideration here is the type of bifocal you choose. The optician can show you the types available. Bifocals have different amounts of image jump.

This means that when you move from the distance portion of the lens into the shooting correction you get a prismatic effect. This makes objects seem to be displaced or jump. To minimize this optical phenomenon it is advisable that you choose a flat top 35 or flat top 45 type bifocal. This bifocal has a straight line dividing the distance prescription from the reading or shooting prescription. The reason for this is the optical centers on these lenses are ground close or on the bifocal segment line, minimizing image jump. Another reason for choosing one of these lenses is the wide field of view. Choosing a smaller bifocal will result in your having to search for it while trying to find a good sight picture. Bifocals of this type are available in powers from +0.75 diopters to +3.00. The requirements for a clear sight picture should be only from +0.75 to +1.25 depending upon your age, sport, and distance correction.

Our opticians at Decot Hy-Wyd will be able to fabricate a lens according to the doctors prescription to meet your needs and provide you with a frame appropriate to your needs. Frame styles and lens colors available for specific use are readily available and your Decot optician can demonstrate these options.

While some above information is technical, your optical professionals will be happy to explain any of the ideas provided here. This should provide a starting point in the quest for a good pair of shooting glasses.
(*)=picture added
For any additional information call Decot Hy-Wyd Sport Glasses Inc. 1-800-528-1901

Back
Top Bottom