• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shooting with an MP shield

My level of confidence as far as aim with that gun is that if an elephant ever attacks me and I let it get close to 15 yards I may get him on the 3rd or 4th shot

My level of confidence as far as aim with that gun is that if an elephant ever attacks me and I let it get close to 15 yards I may get him on the 3rd or 4th shot
Are you shooting with the MA 10 pound trigger?

Also, try some dry fire practice. Even a bad trigger can be offset somewhat by dry firing.

instructors are worth it. grip was my weak point and easily remedied.

and yes to that 10 pound trigger making target shooting not practical

I must be the only one that had surprisingly accurate groups right out of the box. Then again, I dry fire daily.

There's been a couple similar "I suck with my Shield" threads lately. Look around for them. The upshot is:

1) the MA trigger sucks. The Apex kit is great, or for much less money you can swap in the free state parts for a big improvement.
2) My comments come from me learning to shoot a little single stack (LC9s) and seriously sucking. After 400 rounds, lots of snap caps drills and trying several grip variations I don't suck with that little thing anymore.

There's been a couple similar "I suck with my Shield" threads lately. Look around for them. The upshot is:

1) the MA trigger sucks. The Apex kit is great, or for much less money you can swap in the free state parts for a big improvement.

Any recommendations on where to get/order the free state parts?

I'm always high left on target with my Shield.
3 inch barrel and a Ma.trigger makes any slight movement multiplied down range.

When I teach new shooters handgun technique basics, I first walk them right up to the target, (about a yard) and have them aim and squeeze slowly. They nearly all hit 10X.
Next round of shooting they are backed up to 5 yards, etc.

One of the hardest things I've found, with a new shooter (or new gun to a novice) is that if they are not able to hit the paper (because I've started them too far back)
most won't continue with the sport. Technique AND confidence are critical...

the problem is human, not the trigger. a 10# trigger might be an issue with precision shooting, but for defensive shots inside 10-15 yards it shouldn't matter. OP it's worth spending some $$ on training classes. Cloverleaf seems to be a favorite of NESers I would give him a consideration.

I also was having issues shooting my Shield. I was consistently inconsistent. I put the Apex trigger in and that was an improvement but what helped the most was watching this video and practicing what is Rob Leatham is teaching here...huge improvement actually.

https://youtu.be/li0rGtXh23I

Agree with OP.
Bought a Shield 9 couple three years ago when they were all the rage, can't shoot it for crap, so it's basically a safe queen. I carry a sig P238. I'm much more betterer with that one. [hmmm]

I would think, that (especially in MA) if you need to fire at someone outside of the practical range of a Shield, you have alot of explaining to do. That's an Up Close gun for sure

The shield accuracy thread mentioned earlier was mine. For me, the Apex kit made a big difference. With the MA trigger, i couldnt get a feel for when the trigger would break, and the travel of the trigger was so large i felt like i was pulling forever. The Apex kit made it much more predictable. Yes, i probably could have learned to deal with the MA trigger, but the instant change was well worth it. Some say learn to shoot, and i agree. But you also dont see golf pro's playing with wally world clubs. Equipment can help, and lessons on top of that just make you that much better.

I tried to make the shield work after a few classes, and just couldnt get it to where I wanted to be so i eventually went with the Apex trigger, great decision.

bodyguard trigger on the otherhand, i dont know why people have beef with that.

Don't use "its a CCW" as an excuse for not shooting the gun well. Shitty shooting is just shitty shooting.
Keeps the sights on target until the shot breaks. Get some training if you can't do this

the problem is human, not the trigger. a 10# trigger might be an issue with precision shooting, but for defensive shots inside 10-15 yards it shouldn't matter.

The MA shield/m&P triggers are usually so ****ing horrendous that unless someone has a moderate to high level of skill level going in, the results end up being pretty horrendous. I agree that people should train more, but I also think its a disservice to dance around how terrible the triggers are. If anything it makes learning more frustrating when you have to fight that $%#$%$#%ing thing. Trying to get a noob to (esp one that might have limited hand strength etc) run a broken mass M&P right makes the whole process more difficult than it needs to be. Some of those triggers are not merely 10 pounds. Some of them are 12+, and scratchy pieces of shit to boot.

-Mike

Don't use "its a CCW" as an excuse for not shooting the gun well.....
+1 If it's a CCW, then shooting it well isn't less important, it's more important.
You owe it to yourself and the people around/behind the bad guy to shoot your CCW well. Shooting a range gun well is fun, but at the range it's just a game. With your CCW, lives are on the line.

Last edited:
the good news is when you run out of bullets you can always pistol whip them to death

Here's my question. If the Shield has a 'MA trigger' why the heck don't all guns sold in MA have the same crappy trigger?

Back
Top Bottom