• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shooting with a RDS.

roccoracer

NES Member
After several years of considering mounting a red dot on a pistol I did it. About 6 months ago I put a Leupold delta point pro on my Sig P320 X5 Legion. It has taken me a while to get used to using the red dot and finally see the benefit of the cost. This is a group I shot at 50 feet shooting at a moderate speed. I know I can tighten that group up with more practice but I am happy so far. 20210115_215747.jpg

What moa dot do you have?
I’m close to getting a dpp but am torn between 3 and 6.

What moa dot do you have?
I’m close to getting a dpp but am torn between 3 and 6.
i have now both DPP and SRO and i would say - get an SRO. both are 2.5MOA, SRO also has 5MOA but i like 2.5 better.
also, the automatic brightness feature on SRO is really convenient.

I remember well over a decade ago when Dirty Sanchez (what is that guy's name??? Sanchez. Santiago. Bald. Mustache. Uses paintball or something for force-on-force. HUGE AK fan vs AR. . . . . SUAREZ! DAMN) was running one on his Glock.

For a carry pistol, I'm carrying the smallest package I can feel safe with. I've yet to move to a RDS on carry gun. BUT, I've used them. My latest was one on my Stormtrooper Glock, which is having ejection issues. (P80 in white. Black components. Cool look.) Enough trouble that I didn't sand-bag it and get the sight on target as well as I'd like.

Here's a funny: The typical look of modern RDS open sights - that L shape. I had a small red-dot like that back in. . . . 99??? I still have it. You put a cover over it to shut it off. Which made it a bad idea for on a carry pistol. Tasco or Bushnell or someone put it out. I should find batteries for it.

A couple weeks ago I finally took the RMRed G17 to the range, and I was impressed by how well that thing let me shoot. My eyes have been having trouble with iron pistol sights, and the dot was much, much easier to shoot well. The issue I need to work on is picking the dot up upon presentation. I've been shooting M&Ps for years, and when I first bring the RDS Glock up, dot's out of view. It feels like it's off by the difference in grip angle between the M&Ps and the G17 - which wouldn't surprise me at all.

In short, nothing that a couple thousand repetitions won't cure. :) I'm sold on RDS pistols at this point, just need to put the time in to make it work properly. And now I need more holsters...

I remember well over a decade ago when Dirty Sanchez (what is that guy's name??? Sanchez. Santiago. Bald. Mustache. Uses paintball or something for force-on-force. HUGE AK fan vs AR. . . . . SUAREZ! DAMN) was running one on his Glock.

For a carry pistol, I'm carrying the smallest package I can feel safe with. I've yet to move to a RDS on carry gun. BUT, I've used them. My latest was one on my Stormtrooper Glock, which is having ejection issues. (P80 in white. Black components. Cool look.) Enough trouble that I didn't sand-bag it and get the sight on target as well as I'd like.

Here's a funny: The typical look of modern RDS open sights - that L shape. I had a small red-dot like that back in. . . . 99??? I still have it. You put a cover over it to shut it off. Which made it a bad idea for on a carry pistol. Tasco or Bushnell or someone put it out. I should find batteries for it.
on any carry gun in under 10yds distance i do not think RDS will alter anything, if not the opposite. with iron sights you only need to draw, aim and shoot. with RDS you still need to press a button and on both DPP and SRO it is a bit of a pita. less on SRO, but, still an extra movement. and if it will not light up - you will end up with co-witness only. do not see any benefit

on any carry gun in under 10yds distance i do not think RDS will alter anything, if not the opposite. with iron sights you only need to draw, aim and shoot. with RDS you still need to press a button and on both DPP and SRO it is a bit of a pita. less on SRO, but, still an extra movement. and if it will not light up - you will end up with co-witness only. do not see any benefit
Press a button?? On an RMR that doesn't have batteries? Huh, maybe that's what I'm doing wrong.

[rofl]

My DPP turns on automatically bit it is only on my IDPA pistol. My carry guns are all irons.

Leave it on when you’re carrying it (if you’re worried about battery life). I don’t know anybody with two brain cells left that would carry an RMR type and not have it powered up before stepping outside. That’s kind of a ridiculous reason.

Leave it on when you’re carrying it (if you’re worried about battery life). I don’t know anybody with two brain cells left that would carry an RMR type and not have it powered up before stepping outside. That’s kind of a ridiculous reason.
This. Battery life in the years for nicer red dots too. Lots of newer ones have shake options too. One of mine does this, and it is very sensitive that just a draw turns it on.

Just picked up a Trijicon RMRcc (concealed carry) 6MOA, which is slightly smaller in size than the original RMR, for a G45.

It’s also my first venture into RMR on a pistol and it is awkward as hell at first. Might sound kind of goofy but I’ve been keeping it handy around the house and just doing presentation over and over for days to adjust to the changes that it presents.

Haven’t had a chance to fire it yet but that will come, still need some suppressor height sites, Talon Grip and a decent trigger put in. But all in all I can see it being pretty handy after reversing my brain wiring and adjusting to pistol RDS.

No particular reason I went there besides trying to keep learning new things, more so with covid boredom too.

My Trijicon RMR is battery operated, but designed to be always on, with a long battery life when it's on a low brightness setting. Just change the batteries every year or so.

I'll also reiterate what others have said, in that it takes some getting used to using an RMR vs standard pistol sights. I find target acquisition takes a little longer for me, but accuracy is certainly been better.

Last edited:
My DPP turns on automatically bit it is only on my IDPA pistol. My carry guns are all irons.
it does not turn automatically - it never turns off as it senses the movement while you walk. and drains the battery.

i had a holosun on a rifle - and when it was left on by mistake it drained battery in 2 months. so, it is not 'years'. but, whatever.

After several years of considering mounting a red dot on a pistol I did it. About 6 months ago I put a Leupold delta point pro on my Sig P320 X5 Legion. It has taken me a while to get used to using the red dot and finally see the benefit of the cost. This is a group I shot at 50 feet shooting at a moderate speed. I know I can tighten that group up with more practice but I am happy so far. View attachment 447814

I am not a pistol guy at all but having a RMR on my G19 has made me a better shooter of my PPS with just regular sights.

it does not turn automatically - it never turns off as it senses the movement while you walk. and drains the battery.

i had a holosun on a rifle - and when it was left on by mistake it drained battery in 2 months. so, it is not 'years'. but, whatever.
I have several RDS on rifles and each one has been left on for years with no batt drain. One is actually going on 5yrs now and still going strong. I’ll change it out now that I think about it just for GP and staying on top of it, but also none of mine are Holosun’s so the issue may just be skin flinting.

I have several RDS on rifles and each one has been left on for years with no batt drain. One is actually going on 5yrs now and still going strong. I’ll change it out now that I think about it just for GP and staying on top of it, but also none of mine are Holosun’s so the issue may just be skin flinting.
the model in question was a DPP. below are the battery hrs for it. it is not 'years'.
i have no idea what you are talking about, but, to each his own. do what you`re pleased.

Battery Life (hr), Low Intensity1600
Battery Life (hr), Medium Intensity1000
Battery Life (hr), High Intensity300

the model in question was a DPP. below are the battery hrs for it. it is not 'years'.
i have no idea what you are talking about, but, to each his own. do what you`re pleased.

Battery Life (hr), Low Intensity1600
Battery Life (hr), Medium Intensity1000
Battery Life (hr), High Intensity300
Don’t go getting your back hairs up just because someone doesn’t agree with you, was just having conversation and don’t understand your reasons because they made no sense. I’ll leave it at that and stop trying to be helpful. Good luck.

Don’t go getting your back hairs up just because someone doesn’t agree with you, was just having conversation and don’t understand your reasons because they made no sense. I’ll leave it at that and stop trying to be helpful. Good luck.
ok, i will try again.

after a claim that anyone with brains will only carry an RDS turned on - i gave here the exact durations of time of how long a specific Leupold DPP RDS shown on a picture and a topic of this thread will remain lit. it is a 1000 hrs - and i know from my DPP - it is a bit on an enthusiastic side. 600 hrs is more like it, as i am on a third battery now with it.

so i will say, again - a said brainiac with a DPP kept turned on permanently in a month or 2 of carrying it will draw it and will have a quite high probability of seeing no dot.

trijicon claims 3 years on SRO - and i will believe it when i will see it. from what i have heard so far from people who actually compete with it and transitioned to it from DPP - it is not that much different battery life wise from DPP when used at daylight.

ok, i will try again.

after a claim that anyone with brains will only carry an RDS turned on - i gave here the exact durations of time of how long a specific Leupold DPP RDS shown on a picture and a topic of this thread will remain lit. it is a 1000 hrs - and i know from my DPP - it is a bit on an enthusiastic side. 600 hrs is more like it, as i am on a third battery now with it.

so i will say, again - a said brainiac with a DPP kept turned on permanently in a month or 2 of carrying it will draw it and will have a quite high probability of seeing no dot.

trijicon claims 3 years on SRO - and i will believe it when i will see it. from what i have heard so far from people who actually compete with it and transitioned to it from DPP - it is not that much different battery life wise from DPP when used at daylight.
Leupold has horrible battery life compared to probably all the competition. All their red dots and scopes are meh. The only product I consider good from them is the Mark 5HD scopes with the new PR2 reticles.

... I had a small red-dot .. back in. . . . 99??? I still have it. You put a cover over it to shut it off. Which made it a bad idea for on a carry pistol. Tasco or Bushnell or someone put it out. I should find batteries for it.
(Don't know what kind of batteries it eats, but) when we were in CostCo/Nashua
last week, I saw them selling Duracell CR2032 BIOS batteries in bulk pack cards,
right next to the D/C/AA/AAA/9V batteries.

So for anyone that goes through them like potato chips...

Just picked up a Trijicon RMRcc (concealed carry) 6MOA, which is slightly smaller in size than the original RMR, for a G45.

It’s also my first venture into RMR on a pistol and it is awkward as hell at first. Might sound kind of goofy but I’ve been keeping it handy around the house and just doing presentation over and over for days to adjust to the changes that it presents.

Haven’t had a chance to fire it yet but that will come, still need some suppressor height sites, Talon Grip and a decent trigger put in. But all in all I can see it being pretty handy after reversing my brain wiring and adjusting to pistol RDS.

No particular reason I went there besides trying to keep learning new things, more so with covid boredom too.
Need a pic of the RMRcc on the G45 please.

Thanks. I have the standard sized RMR on its way. Just curious how the cc looked. Is that an aftermarket plate under it, like a Forward Control or the standard MOS plate?
Had to buy a separate mount plate for it, like 60.00 I think, came with a battery seal too. Diff specs and the ones Glock supplies do not fit.

2E5E5361-B6D1-4AD5-BDD8-6E059635D92A.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom