• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

shooting steel through 12 ga. modern not-steel rated tubes

Ben Cartwright SASS

NES Member
Monday I picked up a Stevens 555 O/U 12 ga from BPS, they never said anything about not shooting steel through it. When I got home I started to wonder so called Savage and they said you need steel rated choke tubes and it has a Winchester thread.
Well good luck finding any, the ONE tube they had at BPS was 1 1/2 inches long the supplied tubes with the 555 are 2 inches long, threads right at the muzzle end.

The question I have is I had wanted to take it to Wrentham Sunday and they have to shoot steel there. What will happen if I put in the IC or Skeet tubes to shoot a couple rounds of steel? Those are fairly open chokes? Savage will say you have to use steel rated tubes as that is the lawyers talking.

I am just wondering what the effect of 50 shots through it might be?

Monday I picked up a Stevens 555 O/U 12 ga from BPS, they never said anything about not shooting steel through it. When I got home I started to wonder so called Savage and they said you need steel rated choke tubes and it has a Winchester thread.
Well good luck finding any, the ONE tube they had at BPS was 1 1/2 inches long the supplied tubes with the 555 are 2 inches long, threads right at the muzzle end.

The question I have is I had wanted to take it to Wrentham Sunday and they have to shoot steel there. What will happen if I put in the IC or Skeet tubes to shoot a couple rounds of steel? Those are fairly open chokes? Savage will say you have to use steel rated tubes as that is the lawyers talking.

I am just wondering what the effect of 50 shots through it might be?

Nothing will happen if you use open chokes. Even modified should be ok.

Sounds good, I am planning to put IC in the top and Skeet in the bottom, but will have my Mod with me.

Also taking my 11/87 which has a mid-range Duck tube in it so that is the fall back.

Back
Top Bottom