Shooting steel spinners

deerdad

NES Member
Picked up a spinner (Taylor Targets) CS-53 because they look like fun. This one is marked 9mm to 44mag handgun. After I got home, I looked at the small print on the back of the tag and the only thing that can be used on it are soft nose ammo. In the listing of what cannot be used is FMJ projectiles because of riccochet possibilities. Are all spinners just for soft nose or is it specific to this manufacturer ? My daughter would be shooting at this with me.

20210207_173742.jpg20210207_173959.jpg

There's a risk of splatter and ricochets with all types of bullets, so don't be surprised if you get hit with something coming back at you. Being a spinner, I'd think any impact would be deflected more than with a static plate.
Although not very common in .44 Magnum, you could use frangible ammo to help reduce any ricochet issues.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2hylitIOYY

FWIW, I've got some .400" diameter frangibles onhand, so I could assist you in rolling some .40 S&W or 10mm Auto frangible loads.

I had one of those(or similar) that lasted for a couple of years of mixed ammo--probably averaged about 500 rounds at it a month. Honestly, I think the only times I got splashed was when shooting soft point. Proper eye pro and maybe pants/long sleeves will eliminate most danger.

Don't shoot it with 5.56 as you'll leave a scar in it which will make it splash more.

They are good fun--especially when you get them spinning constantly.

edit: the sticker targets will wear off--I simply did orange paint for one side and yellow for the other after every other trip.

I had one of those(or similar) that lasted for a couple of years of mixed ammo--probably averaged about 500 rounds at it a month. Honestly, I think the only time I got splashed was when shooting soft point. Proper eye pro and maybe pants/long sleeves will eliminate most danger.

Don't shoot it with 5.56 as you'll leave a scar in it which will make it splash more.

They are good fun--especially when you get them spinning constantly.

edit: the sticker targets will wear off--I simply did orange paint for one side and yellow for the other after every other trip.

This.

Eye protection is a must and long pants/shirt sleeves are highly recommended.

Bob

Uh, why is it captioned Centerfire but doesn't actually include rimfire in the list of no-no's?
Is .22LR (etc.) too anemic to spin it, but not an actual safety issue?

(I understand why BBs are a no-no).

Uh, why is it captioned Centerfire but doesn't actually include rimfire in the list of no-no's?
Is .22LR (etc.) too anemic to spin it, but not an actual safety issue?

(I understand why BBs are a no-no).
I shoot 22 at those all the time. It moves it enough to deflect the bullet down but you're correct....will not spin it.

Picked up a spinner (Taylor Targets) CS-53 because they look like fun. This one is marked 9mm to 44mag handgun. After I got home, I looked at the small print on the back of the tag and the only thing that can be used on it are soft nose ammo. In the listing of what cannot be used is FMJ projectiles because of riccochet possibilities. Are all spinners just for soft nose or is it specific to this manufacturer ? My daughter would be shooting at this with me.

View attachment 447235View attachment 447236
We shoot fmj at these things all the time. Keep it at 25 yards.....wear eye pro.

What do they say is minimum distance.

If its 3/8" thick and a.r. steel, its rated for 90% of handgun calibers out there @21 ft.
If its 1/4" and a.r. steel it'll take a hammering, but will eventually bend and warp.
Its a soft steel target , jacketed pistol rounds will damage it , all certain that any jacketed rifle round will mess it up or go right through it.
Mine has seen light pistol use inside 25 yards , mostly it sits at 100 yards for 22 plinking. I often shoot cast loads at mine. Heres some 40 cal jacketed load damage
image.jpg

I have one just like that. Might even be the same. Metal jackets will definitely ricochet. I was shooting some 230 gr 45 acp ball ammo and the jackets were flying. I caught one on my ribs from about 25 ft away. It left a pretty good welt through a heavy sweatshirt. Big lump, colorful bruise, and a slightly bleeding cut. I figured it was a fluke so I kept shooting. A few mags later I caught another one that took the baseball cap right off my head but barely grazed me. Upon close observation I saw that the jacket hit the little button on the top center of the cap. The cloth was torn off and there was a pretty good gouge that the jacket made in the metal button.
That was enough for me. I switched over to plain cast lead SWCs.

Heres what a 107 year old 6.5 swedish mauser with a 139gn soft point does to those “heavy duty” steel pistol targets at 100 yards, I thought it would dent it and send it into a spinning frenzy. It hardly moved. If I did not hear it hit I would have guessed I missed, welded up nicely

InsertEB8A1418-66B4-4CF9-B2C4-15392DB7018F.jpegimage.jpg

Last edited:
Dueling plates like the below example are always fun at 100 yards with speed.

4db4a4b07fefe1991f3db68ce5975cbe.jpg

I guess I would rather not take the chance. Like I had said, my daughter would also be shooting this. I'll return it and pick up some of the self sealing rubber bouncers to shoot at.

I guess I would rather not take the chance. Like I had said, my daughter would also be shooting this. I'll return it and pick up some of the self sealing rubber bouncers to shoot at.
How would you use those?

Private range with a mountain-sized backstop?

Tossed on the berm?
(Which means either you can only shoot at max distance, or
have to shoot from a point forward of the shelters).

If our club caught someone plinking at stuff on the range floor,
there would be consequences.

How would you use those?

Private range with a mountain-sized backstop?

Tossed on the berm?
(Which means either you can only shoot at max distance, or
have to shoot from a point forward of the shelters).

If our club caught someone plinking at stuff on the range floor,
there would be consequences.
No more ground targets at the 2 clubs I go to. Especially in winter.

Yes mountain backstop for 300 yard rifle and 8-10 ft berm for pistol range. If pistol skipped it would still have the mountain behind it. It's an old national guard range.

Those spinners are just 1018 or A36 mild steel plate. Jacketed ammo will chew em up. They are fine for .38 specials and LRN, LRNFP's, LSWC's et. If you're shooting pistols with jacketed bullets mostly I'd get something that is ar500 plate instead or those Newbold self sealing targets are cool too and very safe.

Just looked at that Newbold and those look like a perfect alternative especially the plates.
Are you and your daughter planning to shoot 9mm pistols at the plates from 25 yards away? I always considered shooting at steel with a pistol to be more of a speed game. The targets are big and relatively close, and it can be moderately easy if you go slow and take your time, then the degree of difficulty/fun factor increases as you try to go faster and faster.

Dammit....I hate reading these threads....causes the “me want” monkey climbs on to my back...

Throom targets seem pretty cool, but pricy at roughly at $270 for a set of bounce back varmint targets. The longevity is what I wonder about...I know that these s/b considered a “consumerable” and will wear out, just how long till it happens

The other that I keep coming back to is the Yankee Thunder steel plate set, which is much more affordable at $180 a set of six AR500 plates

I freaking LOVE this rimfire dueling tree. I've been burning through a brick of 22 every weekend

coupon code sitargets gets you 5% off

Cuz, it's more like just having fun and maybe a little competition between us. The tree always looked like fun too.
I totally get that, I just figured shooting at a target 25 yds away with a handgun can be difficult and sometimes frustrating. My kids tend to have a lot more fun at closer ranges with a pistol.

Back
Top Bottom