• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shooting steel cqb

Not quite ringing anymore with all that attached. You could hear the hit fine, but more thwack than ring. We weren't more than 100 feet away.

Somewhere on NES is a thread by xtry51 on his tests of home made spall reduction methods on armor plate that would be worth reading.

Here, try this-
AR500 Target Selection Guide - What Thickness Do You Need?

General rule of thumb is-
20 degree pitch downward at least, obviously the more downward pitch, the more the plate "shrinks up", but the more deflection you get.
1/4"-3/8" for pistol @ 21 ft
3/8" for most rifle @ 100 yds
1/2" or better for high velocity or heavy hitters.

While muzzle velocity will dictate most of what you use, its not the be-all-end-all.
Obviously high velocity f.m.j will have more of an impact than soft tip or poly coated lead.

I cut a prairie dog out of 3/8" a.r., and while it handled .308 just fine, 5.56 and 7.62x39 russian stuff left some pock marks @ 100 yds.

I shot 3/8" ar400 with cheap frangible from said said retailer. 10 yards and left big burn craters still. Same effect as tula steel .223. Ill post pictures if anyone is interested. There is def a difference between frangible loads.

Anyone know the practical difference between AR500 and AR550? My range requires 550 and I am skeptical that it matters in actual performance.

Back
Top Bottom