• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shooting Ranges in Northern ME (500+ Yard Rifle & Trap)

Good morning,

I'm currently living in NJ, but possibly relocating to the Houlton, ME area for a new job. While NJ sucks in regards to guns and shooting, I am taking my hobby into account with the move.

It is easier for me to look at a list of NJ towns and see what is in my driving distance, but far from familiar with ME. I did a quick browse of the sticky with ME ranges... Scarborough is nice (I like ranges over 500 yards), but about 4 hours away (little too far for a nice range day). The two I saw that fit the bill are Jackson (Great Farms Rifle Club) and Hampden. Jackson is 2.5 hours and 300 yards (figuring it is just outdoor rifle/muzzleloader from the description). Hampden is a little closer (2 hours), but goes out to 600 yards. I also like indoor/outdoor pistol, as well as indoor rimfire rifle.

Anyone have some insight into those ranges, or know of ones closer to Houlton that fit the bill (prefer 500+ yard ranges). Also, and trap ranges up that way? Trap doesn't have to be the same range as the rifle.

My other question is regarding going into Canada for shooting... is that an issue? If I did, and looked for a nearby range, it would probably just be my Remington Model 7 (.308). Being on the border, I figured it is something to ask about... as I never had the opportunity to be close enough to a border like that. Crossing into PA is far from eventful.

Thank you for any help. As I mentioned, it is hard to find ones close when you don't know the state... most I've searched are on the ocean side, usually 3 hours away. Six hour round trip does put a hamper on shooting, but figuring that is going to be a big difference up there over NJ (everything is somewhat close).

You lucky dog. Good for you for getting out of NJ, and it seems just in time. Martin08 is on this forum as well. I'm sure him and others will be able to help with your search. Good Luck.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

You lucky dog. Good for you for getting out of NJ, and it seems just in time. Martin08 is on this forum as well. I'm sure him and others will be able to help with your search. Good Luck.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thanks.

It isn't set in stone, but did well enough on testing that I should have the job (got back to me within a week of my results posting; did ok on another test for the same agency, and still haven't heard back... and they likely have more need in NM/west TX than ME). Definitely have to do my part, but shouldn't be an issue in regards to anything leading up to the academy.

Girlfriend is on board, so once I physically get up there, put the house for sale and start getting our crap up there. Want to be around through November to vote for Guadagno... but hoping to be gone before any "child-saving" anti-gun legislation is signed. I don't think she will get in, especially with what Christie left her with.

Back
Top Bottom