• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shooting on Your Own Land in NH

Would anyone be willing to share their views on the ability to shoot on one's own land in NH? First let me say I understand it is not legal advice. I am looking for practical responses to use at my own risk.

Specifically, can I shoot on my own land (assuming safely and outside the main part of the town) within 300 feet of a neighbor's house. The statute says one can shoot within 300 feet of a dwelling if one has permission "from the owner of the land on which the person discharging the firearm or shooting the bow and arrow is situated."

It seems to me since I can give myself the permission to fire a gun on my own land, being within 300 feet of a neighbor's house is irrelevant.

Thoughts appreciated.

300 feet from a dwelling, not within a compact and don't shoot anyone or their stuff and youll probably be fine.

If youre still not sure, call the local pd and ask if youre ok to shoot there. Theyll usually be up front and honest.

207:3-a Prohibition. – It is unlawful for a person to discharge a firearm or to shoot with a bow and arrow or crossbow and bolt within 300 feet of a permanently occupied dwelling without permission of the owner or the occupant of the dwelling or from the owner of the land on which the person discharging the firearm or shooting the bow and arrow or crossbow and bolt is situated. Whoever violates the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a violation if a natural person, or guilty of a misdemeanor if any other person.

The law is a little confusing. It could be read either way but if you're within 300 feet of your neighbor, call him and let him know you'll be shooting. The front of my house is over 300 feet from my neighbor, my backyard is less than 300 feet from him. When I shoot on my property I call and let him know either way.

Rattling this off - not legal advice - You also need to not be in the compact area of a town, and even if that and your reading of 207:3-a is satisfied, you need to be shooting safely or there is still the issue of reckless or negligent discharge. 207:37-a for example. Plus, ultimately an officer who decides there wasn't immediate risk but there was sure likely to be at some point could run you through the ringer with a general reckless conduct (631:3). That is, it is legal to shoot on your own land in NH -- but there are a bunch of RSAs that apply and you really need to be sure you do it in a manner a reasonable person (or an officer responding to an angry neighbor) will perceive as safe. So personally I only target shoot where I have the same level of confidence in direction, access and backstop as at a proper club range.

Always a courtesy to check with the neighbors. I had their ok but would give a visit each time to be sure their kids or dog were not in the woods behind our houses.

How much land is enough to keep neighbors from getting cranky? Where I am planning to shoot is at least 1,000 feet away from the next nearest neighbor, (driveway to camp is is 1100 feet from the road, and I'm shooting BEHIND it) and the parcel I can shoot on is over 125 acres, with a 900+ acre unoccupied parcel of logging land behind it.

Also use common sense. If there's other homes behind the back of your property, don't shoot in that direction (like my new neighbor was doing shortly after he moved in)

Never call the cops for those kinds of questions research the law yourself and act accordingly. If you ask the cops they will give you the very easy answer which is NO! They can not get in trouble for that.

I've never had bad experience doing this. In fact I've never been told i couldn't shoot where i was asking about.

Some neighbors are always going to be cranky.

How much land is enough to keep neighbors from getting cranky? Where I am planning to shoot is at least 1,000 feet away from the next nearest neighbor, (driveway to camp is is 1100 feet from the road, and I'm shooting BEHIND it) and the parcel I can shoot on is over 125 acres, with a 900+ acre unoccupied parcel of logging land behind it.
I think that's enough land, unless you're planning on full-auto, 50BMG, or mass amounts of Tannerite. (If you are, I want an invite!)

One test is to step outside on a sunny Saturday morning. Hear a sound like popcorn popping in the distance? If so, you're fine [smile]

Has anyone shot on land in Charlestown? My Aunt has some space and is ok with me setting something up. She just wont help with any of the berm building!

Never call the cops for those kinds of questions research the law yourself and act accordingly. If you ask the cops they will give you the very easy answer which is NO! They can not get in trouble for that.

Actually, when I asked the local COP about this his response was "Please just make sure you have a good back stop."

That's more than enough land.

I guess I'm in pretty good shape. It's 700 vertical feet up to the top of a ridge....the biggest berm ever, then nothing but logging land behind. No houses!

You still need a safe backstop, in case someone is wandering around in the woods.

Where to get large amounts of packaged sand in tubes or bags?

I'd like to upgrade my backstop.

Any reccommendations for a supplier near Milford who can deliver tube sand by the pallet-load? I need about 5 cy; I know I can get a dump truck delivery, but can't get a truck where it needs to go, thus the request for packaged tubes.

I figure with the 50-70lb bags I can get where I need to with a garden cart or wheelbarrow.

I'd like to upgrade my backstop.

Any reccommendations for a supplier near Milford who can deliver tube sand by the pallet-load? I need about 5 cy; I know I can get a dump truck delivery, but can't get a truck where it needs to go, thus the request for packaged tubes.

I figure with the 50-70lb bags I can get where I need to with a garden cart or wheelbarrow.

If you can get a 10-wheeler load somewhat close(probably as close as you can get a truck to deliver a pallet of tube sand), shovel and wheel barrow will do the trick. It will be a little more work(okay a lot), but it will be a huge amount cheaper. In reality, loading a wheelbarrow half full of loose sand isn't much more work than loading 5 bags of tube sand. Why only half full? Try it full once and you'll have your answer[wink] especially if you have to travel any distance or over rough terrain.

700 feet isn't sufficient? Unless I'm reading that wrong...

He wrote:

If you put a target on a target stand, and there are woods behind that target stand, how do you know if someone is walking around in the woods? That was my point. Build a backstop -- get some truckloads of sand if necessary.

He wrote:

If you put a target on a target stand, and there are woods behind that target stand, how do you know if someone is walking around in the woods? That was my point. Build a backstop -- get some truckloads of sand if necessary.

He also wrote

It's 700 vertical feet up to the top of a ridge....the biggest berm ever, then nothing but logging land behind

I'm thinking if you put up a target stand, and there is a 700' hill behind it, you already have a bigger natural backstop then you will ever build. But maybe I'm reading it wrong.

I'm thinking if you put up a target stand, and there is a 700' hill behind it, you already have a bigger natural backstop then you will ever build. But maybe I'm reading it wrong.

Is that hill wooded? If so, how do you know someone isn't walking around there?

You might consider renting a bobcat, to move that sand where you want it, it should take less than a day
+1 The tube and will probably be as much more than loose sand as renting the bobcat. Plus it could be fun instead of a major back-breaking chore.

And you can use it to move some other stuff you've been thinking about for a while. :D

Dropped into the local PD and inquired about home target practice. The cop seemed pretty cool after we got past the first couple of stupid questions.
I live next to a river "Are you shooting over the river?" My sarcastic Mr Jeckel was slamming at his door to get out. "No, into a berm. Safety first"
I then learned that there is a noise ordinance with NO time frame!
He pretty much told me to do what want till someone complains.
Basically, if you're making noise that's annoying your neighbor, they can complain and shut you down. "Quality of life"
Looks like I'm gonna have to have to get into town politics and try to make some changes.

Back
Top Bottom