Shooting on public property

A friend has asked me to poll the members here to find out what towns allow target shooting on public property and what limitations /rules are required. Can anybody shed some light on this ?

no one is going to give you information. Too many asshats show up, leave shit laying around, and get the area posted as no trespassing. See the recent martin burns thread for examples.

There are many states that have public state run ranges like Penn, CT, many others. The Pittman Robertson money is used for things like this.

The northeast states seem immune from this common sense public range thing, and do not have this, this is why most join a gun club. Most of the time it's cheap money. If you can't spend 50 dollars a year on a membership, you probably can't afford to shoot in the first place, or your just being a cheap ass. From what I remember though, there are some private club ranges that will open to the general public for limited times during the week. If in MA, if you go to the F&W website and there is a list. I'm not sure what NH has, if anything.

Very few towns will post or show people where on public land they can shoot, because in general, people leave trash, shoot things they shouldn't, and liability. Mostly gone are the days where you can find a sand pit and blast away. I'm sure it's still out there, but it's not the norm anymore.

Last edited:
There are many states that have public state run ranges like Penn, CT, many others. The Pittman Robertson money is used for things like this.
... I'm not sure what NH has, if anything.
NH Fish & Game posts a list, it is almost entirely private membership clubs.

Very few towns will post or show people where on public land they can shoot, because in general, people leave trash, shoot things they shouldn't, and liability. Mostly gone are the days where you can find a sand pit and blast away. I'm sure it's still out there, but it's not the norm anymore.
Even in New Hampshire, where the towns have limited options to restrict shooting, it's rare to find a public range or even a non-posted sand pit.

If you are a resident of a town, you can generally find town owned land to shoot on. Non-residents showing up is frowned upon.

Any state (MA) conservation land or town & private conservation land that received state money means you can hunt on it. If you can hunt on it, you can target shoot on it.

I agree that if you can't afford to join a club you can't afford to shoot.

- - - Updated - - -

Any state (MA) conservation land or town & private conservation land that received state money means you can hunt on it. If you can hunt on it, you can target shoot on it.

Huh? Wanta bet on that?

It is a stipulation of using Pittman–Robertson Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act funds to purchase land.

However, most MA towns don't recognize that Fed Law mandates that they allow shooting on said lands and will hassle you.

Will you win in court? Don't know but I wouldn't bet my freedom and assets on it in a MA courtroom.

In NH, we have what are called DRED lands (http://www.dred.state.nh.us/).

OK to hunt on, bad to target shoot...go figure. Live Free or Die (my ass).

One of the places I used to shoot for over 25 years all of a sudden sprouted DRED land signs. **** 'em.

In NH, we have what are called DRED lands (http://www.dred.state.nh.us/).

OK to hunt on, bad to target shoot...go figure. Live Free or Die (my ass).

One of the places I used to shoot for over 25 years all of a sudden sprouted DRED land signs. **** 'em.

the bolded part is an option, after all. [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom