• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shooting on private property question.

So after doing some digging on gun forums, I found an post about a pit to shoot in that was about 3 years old. Today was my second time there, the property is owned by someone, who built up some backstops, I don't know the owner but a lot of people shoot their and it is not posted. This property is off of an old service road, and the town put a gate at the entrance so people won't dump garbage down this road.

So I park near the gate walk down this old town owned service road in order to get to this property. After shooting I'm approaching the gate and notice a police officer, he got called for a noise complaint, so I told him where I was shooting on private property that isn't posted and is a popular spot. He said you can hunt on private property without permission but not target practice, I've read that somewhere but can't find the law.

Then he said the town put up this gate so people wouldn't go down this old road, and made it sound like the problem was me accessing this property through town land. There is a gate blocking the entrance but no signs saying I can't walk down it, so I can access this property.

The officer was very cool, but pretty much said I can't shoot their anymore, He didn't threaten me about if I came back I could be fined, and I would like to go back to this spot, my question is legally Can I go back to this spot? Walking through town property isn't illegal, and this range, is private property, and not posted.

First, what state? Some are more mellow than others.

Second, regardless of state, you're on private land, without permission. If it were my sand pit, I'd not be pleased. Not saying that you're one of them, but there have been instances on people not cleaning up.

Get permission. Just because you see evidence of shooting, does not mean that it's anyone other than the owner.

Lawful or not, it's not polite.

First, what state? Some are more mellow than others.

Second, regardless of state, you're on private land, without permission. If it were my sand pit, I'd not be pleased. Not saying that you're one of them, but there have been instances on people not cleaning up.

Get permission. Just because you see evidence of shooting, does not mean that it's anyone other than the owner.

Lawful or not, it's not polite.

New Hampshire, don't know the owner, but reading about this place, sounds like the owner, made this property a range for people to shoot on, can't build a house on this property, and machines were used to build the backstops, a friend in Vermont shoots at a pit that is similar, he doesn't know the owner, but through word of mouth, the owner is fine with anyone shooting on the property, and everyone uses the pit. Is it illegal to target practice on private property without the owners permission?

I would find out who owns the property; if they're okay with it, you are legal.

After shooting I'm approaching the gate and notice a police officer, he got called for a noise complaint, so I told him where I was shooting on private property that isn't posted and is a popular spot. He said you can hunt on private property without permission but not target practice, I've read that somewhere but can't find the law.
You're in New Hampshire. Get a suppressor, no more noise complaints. Problem solved.

New Hampshire, don't know the owner, but reading about this place, sounds like the owner, made this property a range for people to shoot on, can't build a house on this property, and machines were used to build the backstops, a friend in Vermont shoots at a pit that is similar, he doesn't know the owner, but through word of mouth, the owner is fine with anyone shooting on the property, and everyone uses the pit. Is it illegal to target practice on private property without the owners permission?

Whether it's legal, or not, I don't know - NH laws are different from Mass. I do think that legal, or not, it's not right. As I stated above, if I had a "range", and strangers came uninvited, I'd be less than thrilled. Find the owner, and ask. If you don't know who they are, go to the town clerk's office, and find out.

Don't be "that guy" that p!sses of the landowner.

Also besides the possibility of pissing off the landowner you'd piss off the cop if he told you not to shoot there anymore and you shoot there again. I'd see about getting the land owners permission. If you get that you should be good to go.

Whether it's legal, or not, I don't know - NH laws are different from Mass. I do think that legal, or not, it's not right. As I stated above, if I had a "range", and strangers came uninvited, I'd be less than thrilled. Find the owner, and ask. If you don't know who they are, go to the town clerk's office, and find out.

Don't be "that guy" that p!sses of the landowner.

It's pretty easy to find out who owns the land...A quick visit to the town office in the town this pit is in and a look see at the tax maps should net you the owner's name and probably his address as well.

Back
Top Bottom