• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

shooting on private property in NH

headednorth

NES Member
Ive been toying with the idea of buying a home on a good size plot of land in NH. Ideally, I'd like a place where I can legally shoot on the property without causing any havoc with the neighbors and local pd. I know there's laws regarding proximity to a road and adjacent homes. Also , from what I understand, firearms in general are less tolerated the closer to MA you get. ( Im a lifelong MA resident, unfortunately)

I was hoping to get some input from some NH'ers, or anyone who is familiar with the lay of the land up there, as to where something like Im planning would be possible/tolerated. I would like something closer to MA, if possible. I have a friend in the Derry area, which is too urban but maybe not so in the surrounding area. Or is that still too far south?

My dream is to be able to go out on my back deck and shoot whenever the mood hits. ( anyone know Hickock45 on youtube? Best backyard ever...)

So is what Im looking for realistic or am I just dreaming? I think Im kind of brain damaged as far as guns go from living in MA my whole life, so its hard to even gauge whether Im being realistic or not. Anyone have any recommendations or thoughts they could share?

I doubt there is a piece of affordable land in Derry where you would have the minimum distances and not have to worry about where a stray round went

more than 300ft from a residence unless you have permission, more than 15ft from a road, more than 1000ft from a school/federal property unless on privately owned property you have permission to be on (if it's your land you would have permission).

Only way you are going to get in trouble in NH for shooting on your own land is if you are A.) closer than 300ft from a neighbors house and they don't like you. B.) Not careful about knowing your backstop and what's beyond and send a round into someones house/car/woodpile etc.

Other than those simple rules go for it.

Anyone else did I miss anything?

ETA: Your property could be touching the MA border and if you follow the above rules there isn't a damn thing anyone can do to you.

Also watch out if home is in the "compact area" of the town center and the town has some ordinance against discharging even if you are over 300 feet away from neighbor.

I have a good friend who shoots in his backyard in Groveland MA...it's ALL about the town. State has no bearing...

I used to go shooting all the time at a friends in my town. Huge chunk of land with plenty of distance to roadways and dwellings. We had a 40 foot tall 250 foot wide 100 foot deep sand pile as a back stop. Cops never showed.

I am even in MA[shocked]

I love my parents cabin in north Haverhill NH,I've been shooting off the porch since I could walk its great how the shots echo thru the mountains the neighbors are far away and never complained I don't think there aren't any police anyways.

Derry's a pretty small town, but like many small towns in New Hampshire (or New England for that) there are areas that are pretty densily populated near the center of town and other areas that are wide spread.

When you're looking at plot sizes - a 600' x 600' plot is 8 acres. That ensures there will be no occupied dwellings within 300' of a shooting station at the middle of the property. Much smaller than that, and even if you're clear now, you could find someone building a dwelling within 300'.

With 25' side and front set-backs and a 30' wide road across the front, you could go to 550 x 545, which would be 6.6 acres. That would require neighbors to get a variance before building within 300' of your shooting station.

This isn't to say you can't do it on anything smaller, you definately can, but anything smaller allows a spiteful neighbor to build within 300' of your shooting station without a varience, and I would say any plot less than 300' wide and 400' long (2.67 acres) is going to be highly unlikely that you'll have the space to shoot.

so, start by looking for lots at least 3 acres, preferably 8-10 acres.

There actually is a process to shoot on your own land. This is the sketchy gun shop mis-information version. It was printed in one of the newspapers after an incident (but still sketchy gun shop information)...I'm thinking it was the Citizen a few years back. In a nutshell it is limited by certain types of land use such as not near school zones, business districts etc. I know Laconia doesn't have any land that qualifies. Police chiefs like to see the site to ok the backstop. Some ask that you call prior to doing any shooting. If you call the police dept in the towns you are looking at moving to you'll probably get different responses from each.

Thanks to everyone for the responses and info. Good to know its doable, just have to start looking around to find someplace suitable. Definitely leaning towards NH. More affordable and I think its a better match with my general mindset. Sincere thanks to all for taking the time to give some advice.

There actually is a process to shoot on your own land. This is the sketchy gun shop mis-information version. It was printed in one of the newspapers after an incident (but still sketchy gun shop information)...I'm thinking it was the Citizen a few years back. In a nutshell it is limited by certain types of land use such as not near school zones, business districts etc. I know Laconia doesn't have any land that qualifies. Police chiefs like to see the site to ok the backstop. Some ask that you call prior to doing any shooting. If you call the police dept in the towns you are looking at moving to you'll probably get different responses from each.
How about ignoring the sketchy gunshop newspaper police chief urban legend version, and just look at the law?

Here is the law about the compact area of a town:
644:13 Unauthorized Use of Firearms and Firecrackers. –
I. A person is guilty of a violation if, within the compact part of a town or city, such person fires or discharges any cannon, gun, pistol, or other firearm, except by written permission of the chief of police or governing body.
II. For the purposes of this section, "compact part'' means the territory within a town or city comprised of the following:
(a) Any nonresidential, commercial building, including, but not limited to, industrial, educational, or medical buildings, plus a perimeter 300 feet wide around all such buildings without permission of the owner.
(b) Any park, playground, or other outdoor public gathering place designated by the legislative body of the city or town.
(c) Any contiguous area containing 6 or more buildings which are used as either part-time or permanent dwellings and the spaces between them where each such building is within 300 feet of at least one of the others, plus a perimeter 300 feet wide around all the buildings in such area.

And regarding highways (game and fish law, but it applies to everyone):
207:3-a Prohibition. – It is unlawful for a person to discharge a firearm or to shoot with a bow and arrow or crossbow and bolt within 300 feet of a permanently occupied dwelling without permission of the owner or the occupant of the dwelling or from the owner of the land on which the person discharging the firearm or shooting the bow and arrow or crossbow and bolt is situated. Whoever violates the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a violation if a natural person, or guilty of a misdemeanor if any other person.

207:3-c Use of Firearms, Bow, or Crossbow in or Across Highway Prohibited. –
I. No person shall discharge a firearm, bow and arrow, or crossbow and bolt from within 15 feet of the traveled portion of or across any class I through V highway of the state. This section shall not apply to those persons holding a special permit pursuant to RSA 207:7-a.
II. No person shall discharge a firearm, bow and arrow, or crossbow and bolt from or across the following public highways of the state including the rights of way thereof:
(a) Route 93 from the New Hampshire/Massachusetts state line in the town of Salem to the New Hampshire/Vermont state line in the town of Littleton;
(b) Route 89 from the intersection with Route 93 in the town of Bow to the New Hampshire/Vermont state line in the town of Lebanon;
(c) Route 95 from the New Hampshire/Massachusetts state line in the town of Seabrook to the New Hampshire/Maine state line in the town of Portsmouth;
(d) Route 293 from the intersection with Route 93 in the city of Manchester to the intersection with Route 93 in the town of Hooksett;
(e) Route 393 from the intersection with North Main Street in the city of Concord to the Concord/Chichester town line;
(f) Route 202/9 from the intersection with Route 114 in the town of Henniker to the junction with Route 31 in the town of Hillsborough;
(g) Route 16, commonly known as the Spaulding Turnpike, from the intersection with Route 95 in the town of Portsmouth to the Milton/Middletown town line;
(h) Route 3, commonly known as the F.E. Everett Turnpike, from the New Hampshire/Massachusetts state line in the city of Nashua to the intersection with Route 101 in the town of Bedford;
(i) Route 101 from the intersection with Route 114 in the town of Bedford to the intersection with Route 1 in the town of Hampton.
III. Any person convicted of discharging a firearm, bow and arrow, or crossbow and bolt prohibited under the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a violation.

In NH, what town you live in isn't part of the equation.

Ok, sure Hero. Whatever.

Again, the law (pay attention to the section in bold):

159:26 Firearms, Ammunition, and Knives; Authority of the State. –
I. To the extent consistent with federal law, the state of New Hampshire shall have authority and jurisdiction over the sale, purchase, ownership, use, possession, transportation, licensing, permitting, taxation, or other matter pertaining to firearms, firearms components, ammunition, firearms supplies, or knives in the state. Except as otherwise specifically provided by statute, no ordinance or regulation of a political subdivision may regulate the sale, purchase, ownership, use, possession, transportation, licensing, permitting, taxation, or other matter pertaining to firearms, firearms components, ammunition, or firearms supplies in the state. Nothing in this section shall be construed as affecting a political subdivision's right to adopt zoning ordinances for the purpose of regulating firearms or knives businesses in the same manner as other businesses or to take any action allowed under RSA 207:59.
II. Upon the effective date of this section, all municipal ordinances and regulations not authorized under paragraph I relative to the sale, purchase, ownership, use, possession, transportation, licensing, permitting, taxation, or other matter pertaining to firearms, firearm components, ammunition, firearms supplies, or knives shall be null and void.

Just to clarify the law, can someone who is familiar with it jump in on this? I have a hard time figuring out speciffically what laws mean sometimes so my question is with this part of it:

It is unlawful for a person to discharge a firearm or to shoot with a bow and arrow or crossbow and bolt within 300 feet of a permanently occupied dwelling without permission of the owner or the occupant of the dwelling or from the owner of the land on which the person discharging the firearm or shooting the bow and arrow or crossbow and bolt is situated.

To me it sounds like the law is saying that you can't shoot within 300 feet of a building if you are on property that you do not own. Specifically, this is the part that confuses me:

from the owner of the land on which the person discharging the firearm

So, does this mean that you can shoot from your own land regardless of how far away from your neighbors you are, but if you're on someone else's property you need permission?

Someone who lives in NH actually told me this. Can someone clarify?

Just to clarify the law, can someone who is familiar with it jump in on this? I have a hard time figuring out speciffically what laws mean sometimes so my question is with this part of it:

It is unlawful for a person to discharge a firearm or to shoot with a bow and arrow or crossbow and bolt within 300 feet of a permanently occupied dwelling without permission of the owner or the occupant of the dwelling or from the owner of the land on which the person discharging the firearm or shooting the bow and arrow or crossbow and bolt is situated.

To me it sounds like the law is saying that you can't shoot within 300 feet of a building if you are on property that you do not own. Specifically, this is the part that confuses me:

from the owner of the land on which the person discharging the firearm

So, does this mean that you can shoot from your own land regardless of how far away from your neighbors you are, but if you're on someone else's property you need permission?

Someone who lives in NH actually told me this. Can someone clarify?

The way I read it was if you're under 300ft from a dwelling you need permission from either the owner or the resident. Is that the direct quote of the law I thought it was written a little different? I don't shoot on my property because I am within 300ft of another dwelling and I haven't gotten around to asking for permission yet.

I'm not a lawyer, it might be a situation where case law is needed, not sure if there is case law to support though.

Swampy said:

Did you seriously just post this garbage?

I'm not a lawyer, it might be a situation where case law is needed, not sure if there is case law to support though.

Yes, I agree. Case law or a lawyer would definitely be helpful. To me the law really reads that if you are on your property you are okay, but if you're on someone else's you need permission. And, it sort of makes sense in a way that it fits in with a lot of the way NH handles hunting and shooting, etc. Because, in NH there is more going on with common use and hunting on private property and it is handled differently (it seems more allowing unless speciffically posted not to) than many other states. And, correct me if I'm wrong.

But, I am not one who has ever been very good at reading legislation properly and I think it would be helpful if someone who actually knows what the story is to chime in.

I will say that I know of quite a few people in NH that read it the way that I am reading it and are under the impression that you can shoot on your property with a safe backstop in NH, regardless of how close your neighbors are or if you have their permission. The concentrated area of the city, school zone, etc., don't apply to those people that I am mentioning. But, some have relatively close neighbors (less than 300 ft.), and have never asked permission.

Anyone else have any knowledge about this?

Last edited:
Yes, I agree. Case law or a lawyer would definitely be helpful. To me the law really reads that if you are on your property you are okay, but if you're on someone else's you need permission. And, it sort of makes sense in a way that it fits in with a lot of the way NH handles hunting and shooting, etc. Because, in NH there is more going on with common use and hunting on private property and it is handled differently (it seems more allowing unless speciffically posted not to) than many other states. And, correct me if I'm wrong.

But, I am not one who has ever been very good at reading legislation properly and I think it would be helpful if someone who actually knows what the story is to chime in.

I will say that I know of quite a few people in NH that read it the way that I am reading it and are under the impression that you can shoot on your property with a safe backstop in NH, regardless of how close your neighbors are or if you have their permission. The concentrated area of the city, school zone, etc., don't apply to those people that I am mentioning. But, some have relatively close neighbors (less than 300 ft.), and have never asked permission.

Anyone else have any knowledge about this?

Re-read the law on RSA 207:3 and it looks like you are correct, the use of the word "or" I think it was solves the issues.

without permission of the owner or the occupant of the dwelling or from the owner of the land on which the person discharging the firearm

I must have read a mis-quote of the law somewhere as I did not see the owner of the land on which the person is discharging part. It looks like you'd be good to go on your own property (you give yourself permission right?) regardless of how close your neighbors are as long as you aren't endangering anyone (good backstop).

Again, I am not a lawyer but from a better less tired reading of the law I believe you are correct.

The law might read:

It is unlawful for a person to discharge a firearm or to shoot with a bow and arrow or crossbow and bolt within 300 feet of a permanently occupied dwelling without permission of the owner or the occupant of the dwelling or from the owner of the land on which the person discharging the firearm or shooting the bow and arrow or crossbow and bolt is situated. Whoever violates the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a violation if a natural person, or guilty of a misdemeanor if any other person.

But I think you'll have trouble arguing with a judge that the legistator intended to allow you to shoot in your backyard 50' from your neighbors house without his permission.

Why would you think that?

Because I've dealt with enough judges to know that most are going to thinking about it as "Would I wanted my neighbor doing this without my permission" instead of "What does the law say" or "Would I want my neighbor to stop me from doing this"

Because I've dealt with enough judges to know that most are going to thinking about it as "Would I wanted my neighbor doing this without my permission" instead of "What does the law say" or "Would I want my neighbor to stop me from doing this"

I believe that this is unfortunately how the judicial system works, as well. Is your experience in NH?

One approach is to go house hunting on sunny weekend afternoons; listen for gunfire :)
When I was researching places in S.NH I would pull up likely houses on Google's satellite view and measure out the distances to the neighbors. The satellite maps are also good for looking for the telltale signs of a rifle range nearby, though I find the Bing Maps "Birdseye view" works better for this than Google.

so, start by looking for lots at least 3 acres, preferably 8-10 acres.
In New Hampshire, I'd start with lots of 10+ acres, mostly for the "Current use" property tax relief. As long as you have 10 acres with no structures or "improvements" (Driveway, septic, front yard, etc), you get a discount on the annual tax for that part of your land, though you have to pay a penalty if you later want to build on it. You can post current use land as "No Tresspassing" and still get the tax break.

Last edited:
I believe that this is unfortunately how the judicial system works, as well. Is your experience in NH?

yes, in NH.

- - - Updated - - -

In New Hampshire, I'd start with lots of 10+ acres, mostly for the "Current use" property tax relief. As long as you have 10 acres with no structures or "improvements" (Driveway, septic, front yard, etc). You can post this land as "No Tresspassing" and still get the Current Use tax break.

I guess I assumed he was looking for a place with a house on it to live in. If just looking for acrage, definately.

I live in raymond,n.h., and shoot in my yard all quite a bit, and have never been bothered by the police

I'm trying to buy a house in Raymond NH. Almost 6 acres, is there any pointers you might have? I'm defiantly looking to do some shooting in my backyard! Thanks in advance!

I'm trying to buy a house in Raymond NH. Almost 6 acres, is there any pointers you might have? I'm defiantly looking to do some shooting in my backyard! Thanks in advance!

Just make sure you have a backstop and if you're within physical threshold, obtain permission from the neighbor. Good way to make friends too.

Back
Top Bottom