Shooting on Own Property: Newton NH

I’ve lived in MA most of my life and only recently begun to free myself from the nanny-state programming, so forgive me for this potentially naïve question.

We just sold our house and are starting to house hunt in NH. We have our eye on a property in Newton, and I want to be sure that shooting on my own property won’t be an issue. The plot in question is about 6 acres and has a rectangular layout of about 100 yds. by 300 yds. The house is at the far end of one of the short sides of the rectangle. The adjacent properties have a similar size and layout.

It seems to me that somewhere in the middle of this piece of property I should be able to set up a small range (~50 yards) and easily be more than 300 ft. from any other houses in the area. I've sketched it out and done some calculations (yeah I'm a geek).

As a courtesy, I will certainly let my new neighbors know of my intentions. Are there any other considerations I should have? (e.g., town ordinance, etc.).

Thanks in advance for your advice.

G

As long as you're 300 feet from another house you're within the law.

Letting your neighbors know is a nice courtesy to extend but they have no recourse if they don't like it.

Get a suppressor and you won't have to worry about the neighbors.
Ain't nobody's business what you do on your own land.
Libtards are everywhere, why invite isssues ?

I would love to live in an area where I could have a range on my own land! It is my understanding that you can even have this in MA, though, as long as you have the appropriate distance from dwellings and such - no? Just out of curiosity wrt to the situation in NH, what happens in the event that you have an a-hole neighbor that calls the cops complaining about noise when you shoot?

I just bought my house, have 8 acres and my neighbor has about 80. He said I could shoot on his property any time i wanted also. Still haven't shot here yet, as I need to scout out a good spot with a backstop. I might today and then let loose about 10 full auto mag dumps to celebrate. this is going to be my new best friend http://libertycans.net/mystic.html

- - - Updated - - -

I would love to live in an area where I could have a range on my own land! It is my understanding that you can even have this in MA, though, as long as you have the appropriate distance from dwellings and such - no? Just out of curiosity wrt to the situation in NH, what happens in the event that you have an a-hole neighbor that calls the cops complaining about noise when you shoot?

If you're within the law, you're within the law. I can't see an issue unless it's a noise violation past a certain hour.

Just out of curiosity wrt to the situation in NH, what happens in the event that you have an a-hole neighbor that calls the cops complaining about noise when you shoot?

I'd guess the cops would come out to ask you keep the noise to a minimum. Not sure if they could cite you for anything. IIRC, towns can't enact their own noise laws for firearms use.

I'd guess the cops would come out to ask you keep the noise to a minimum. Not sure if they could cite you for anything. IIRC, towns can't enact their own noise laws for firearms use.

That's what I figured. Guess if I lived in NH it wouldn't be an issue anyway because I would definitely have suppressors because I could there.

Thanks for the input thus far guys...

Does anyone have back-yard shooting experience in Newton, specifically?

You are all set, no matter the town ordinance, state and federal law supersedes it. I live in North Hampton, NH and am used to idiots complaining. (My town was the one who started the motorcycle noise ordinance, and even tried to ban gunfire in the town.) Chief of police threw it out as it CLEARLY infringes on the second amendment. (thank god.) Anyways. I shoot about once a week on my property and limit it to an hour during the middle of the day just to be respectful. Only had a couple complaints with new neighbors who are retarded.

Everyone around me shoots in their yard. We all try to do it in a manner so as not to piss anyone off too bad. For example, we don't shoot all day long, we don't shoot early or late, etc. If I'm going to send a lot of lead down range for a long period of time, I try to do it when other people are at work or away from home. Stuff like that.

Actually, when the neighbor is mowing the lawn is a good time to get noisy.

Just being courteous goes a long way. We're all die-hard 2A but its like anything else. You wouldn't want to hear your neighbor blasting music or revving their motorcycle all of the time or late at night, etc.

Every now and again we might break one of the unwritten rules, but as long as no one is being obnoxious about it and doing it all of the time then no one cares. Once in a while I'll go out at night and touch a few rounds off. But I don't make it a habit. And, I don't do it too late. Now is a good time of year for that occasionally because it gets dark early.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input thus far guys...

Does anyone have back-yard shooting experience in Newton, specifically?

Why would you need it? It's legal, end of story! Just like anything else people do, other people may or may not like it, and you can either care or not care if they do.

Think of it this way, If noise is an issue then the neighbors shouldn't be setting off fireworks. Noise is noise, does it matter if it is shooting or fireworks?

This is why I do not give a hoot about the neighbor who shoe horned his house next to ours. Someone there set off fireworks just about every sunday night for most of the summer.

You are all set, no matter the town ordinance, state and federal law supersedes it. I live in North Hampton, NH and am used to idiots complaining. (My town was the one who started the motorcycle noise ordinance, and even tried to ban gunfire in the town.) Chief of police threw it out as it CLEARLY infringes on the second amendment. (thank god.) Anyways. I shoot about once a week on my property and limit it to an hour during the middle of the day just to be respectful. Only had a couple complaints with new neighbors who are retarded.
I was welcomed with open arms by the town planning board and police when I told them about my business... If they have anything to hate about guns in the town how about the shooting rage that is directly behind the school?

I was welcomed with open arms by the town planning board and police when I told them about my business... If they have anything to hate about guns in the town how about the shooting rage that is directly behind the school?

I love that there is the shooting range there. I actually went to that school when I was younger. You'd have play time outside and some guy is blasting hundreds of rounds off a couple hundred yards away. We were all "conditioned" the correct way when we were younger ;) But that shooting range behind the elementary school has been challenged before. No luck of course. I love that town, as everywhere, there a great people and some not so great ones! Chief Paige is a great guy and I fully support him! He's always been a good guy and has his head on straight.

Back
Top Bottom