Shooting on conservation land

Had some questions about shooting on conservation land. Near my house there's a pretty sizable portion of land I believe administered by the dcr. There are some trails that get pretty far out into the woods. My question is mainly, would it lawful to find a spot off the trail with an appropriate hillside backstop, at least 500 feet from a dwelling (as I believe is required by law) to go shoot on? Did a search and turned up nothing on this topic. Thanks in advance!

Just looking for any advice from someone who may do this already or wanted to and ran into a roadblock along the way.

What state are you in? NH has DRED lands that are a no go for target practice but hunting is OK...go figure. I'm sure other states have these DRED lands too....One of the places I used to shoot at for over 20 years all of a sudden ended up as DRED land, literally overnight...It may be ironic that one of our moonbat state reps lives at the very end of the dirt road that goes into that land...

Last edited:
Check and make sure the land you're going to shoot on doesn't have any restrictions (like DRED). Some here from mass can probably help you out better than I

Section 5 reads:

5) No person shall have possession of or discharge any firearm or pellet gun in violation of thelaws and regulations of the Commonwealth.

so as long as I'm not violating any other law is it gtg?

Last edited:
As I understand it, discharging a firearm for other than hunting WOULD be in violation of Section 6, which IS a "...regulation of the Commonwealth...", therefore putting you in violation of Section 5.

Of course, IANAL, YMMV etc.

I did a bit more digging and based on what I've found, town regulation bars firearms from that area anyway. Blast! Mere possession is against the rules.

Town By-Laws/ City Ordinances have no authority on state property (SJC case law). There is thread that discussed this at length some where on this site.

I believe that 302CMR covers former MDC property and 304CMR covers former Forest and Parks Property.
Upon further review its part of something called the Northampton Conservation Commission, and maintained by another group. Not sure how all this plays in.

The Northampton Conservation Commission has this covered:

"4. HUNTING, TRAPPING and carrying firearms or other weapons is prohibited on allconservation lands. Hunting (but not trapping) is allowed in the "Abuza" section ofFitzgerald Lake Conservation Area at least three hundred feet away from all maintained andblazed foot trails."

http://northamptonma.gov/DocumentCenter/View/2121

Back
Top Bottom