Shooting low and to the left.

I could use some advice. I keep shooting low and to the left and I have tried everything I can think of. I shoot a G19 and a shield in .40
I have not done done anything to the triggers, both are stock. Willing to listen and try some advice. Thanks

Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire. Keep dry firing until your trigger finger is sore, then dry fire some more.

Isolate your trigger finger
Maintain trigger control
Establish your sight picture
Apply pressure to your trigger, slowly
Back-off, apply a bit more pressure, slowly.
Repeat the process, try to get as close to trigger break as you can WITHOUT firing the gun
Maintain your sight picture the whole time
When the gun goes off as a surprise I bet you won't be low left.

Sounds like you're anticipating the recoil and flinching/jerking the trigger. Dry firing may help. If you have a revolver take it to the range and randomly load the cylinder with a few rounds. You will see very quickly what you are doing wrong when there is no round to fire.

+1

Dry firing will not cure a flinch. Flinching is a mental response to recoil. A ball and dummy drill does not distinguish between a flinch and post ignition push, so it is only useful if you know what to look for.

putting too much finger onto the trigger.

imagine a pair of needle nose plyers - they squeeze at an angle, not like a wrench which squeezes with each side parallel.
you hand and finger is an anatomic plyer, not wrench.
getting finger positioned correctly will allow the squeeze to near approximate the wrench (i.e. parralel) and thus help keep the sights aligned during squeeze especially around trigger break.

those who are advising to just keep the sights aligned during the squeeze are basically saying the same thing as me....i'm just putting more specific suggestion w it.

this is another reason everyone likes 1911 SA triggers - because you can use any part of your finger and get good shots since the travel is so short. longer travel triggers require better trigger finger positioning. i used to shoot low-left too until i trained myself to use the DIP joint on my finger (look it up).

None of this matters, some people use the tip of their finger, some the pad and some the joint. Some people press, some squeeze and some slap the trigger. The only correct way is the one that doesn't move the sights

Sounds like anticipating the recoil. Like others have said, dry fire practice will help. Then, when live firing, try to "be surprised" about when the trigger will break. Think about it like your job is to keep the sights lined up and on target and not pulling the trigger. As you're doing that, slowly "roll" the trigger back, focusing on your "job" and not on when the trigger will break. That's how I have had people coach me on it and how I have successfully helped some friends as well.

None of this matters, some people use the tip of their finger, some the pad and some the joint. Some people press, some squeeze and some slap the trigger. The only correct way is the one that doesn't move the sights

It absolutely matters.
the part of finger employed for squeeze will determin symmetry of the squeeze.
play around w some plyers maybe that will help demonstrate.

It may matter to some extent, but I would argue that recoil anticipation is a much bigger factor than finger placement. A methodical, consistent trigger "roll" will produce good results, regardless of exact position... IMHO YMMV and a bunch of other abbreviations.

It absolutely matters.
the part of finger employed for squeeze will determin symmetry of the squeeze.
play around w some plyers maybe that will help demonstrate.

So if it matters, Please explain why so many different world class shooters press/slap the trigger differently?

Back
Top Bottom