• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shooting low and to the left.

Chevy 2 65

NES Member
I could use some advice. I keep shooting low and to the left and I have tried everything I can think of. I shoot a G19 and a shield in .40
I have not done done anything to the triggers, both are stock. Willing to listen and try some advice. Thanks

If you're right handed, sounds like jerking the trigger.

Oops, beerjeep also posted. Good link to read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you're anticipating the recoil and flinching/jerking the trigger. Dry firing may help. If you have a revolver take it to the range and randomly load the cylinder with a few rounds. You will see very quickly what you are doing wrong when there is no round to fire.

Shoot supported or from a rest.

Are you grouping well?

Same result at various distances?

That you are shooting low may or may not be you. That you are shooting left probably is.

Let's assume the sights on your guns are reasonably well zeroed.

Dry fire practice will help somewhat. Pay very close attention to your sight alignment before, during, and after the trigger pull. Focus on forming a good grip, and isolating the movement of your trigger finger from the rest of the fingers on your right hand. Once you're able to consistently pull the trigger without moving the sights, try it on the range with live ammo, and focus on doing the exact same thing as you did when dry firing. Again, focus very carefully on your sight alignment before, during, and after the trigger pull, especially at the moment the shot "breaks". The best shooters are the ones that can "call" their shots without even looking at the target. They know exactly where their sights were pointed every time they pull the trigger.

Right or left handed?
right

- - - Updated - - -

Shoot supported or from a rest.

Are you grouping well?

Same result at various distances?

That you are shooting low may or may not be you. That you are shooting left probably is.

They are grouped very well and it doesn't matter the distance 25-50ft

Shoot closer and from a rest (or at least with your hand supported) to see if the results change or not.

If you are grouping very well either you are extremely consistent with what you are doing wrong, or it has to do with your sights/how you are seeing/using them.

Shoot closer and from a rest (or at least with your hand supported) to see if the results change or not.

If you are grouping very well either you are extremely consistent with what you are doing wrong, or it has to do with your sights/how you are seeing/using them.

Thanks, Thats the one thing I have not done yet is to shoot from a rest. I need to try it and see what happens.

Thanks, Thats the one thing I have not done yet is to shoot from a rest. I need to try it and see what happens.

Yes, that is good advise because it somewhat takes "you" out of the equation and helps to determine if its the sights that are off, or you. It is most likely anticipation though if its happening on more than one gun.

Have someone else shoot for you. Always. ;)

Kidding about the always part, but have a really solid shooter try your gun. From a bench.

I find I shoot low left with striker fired guns - I don't have that issue with any of my 1911's or revolvers etc. with practice I can overcome this but it takes effort. I am not sure if this is just me or something with the design

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I find I shoot low left with striker fired guns - I don't have that issue with any of my 1911's or revolvers etc. with practice I can overcome this but it takes effort. I am not sure if this is just me or something with the design

This. I'm more of a 1911 guy, and when I shot my xds I was shooting low and left as well. Have yet to fully resolve it, been too busy for enough time at the range. Try the bench route to verify sights, and then try dry fire. Back to basics

Try using more distal part of the trigger finger in your squeeze. I used to squeeze with middle of my finger and caused me to push left all the time. Since adjusing to squeeze w further out on my index finger, its waaay easier to keep muzzle straight.

I could use some advice. I keep shooting low and to the left and I have tried everything I can think of. I shoot a G19 and a shield in .40
I have not done done anything to the triggers, both are stock. Willing to listen and try some advice. Thanks

I was BSing a bit in first post, but a couple things to look for.

1. Trigger finger placement. Too little finger in trigger could cause in right handed shooters. I don't see it a lot though.

2. How hard are you gripping with support hand? I've seen people gripping so hard it pulls sights offline. It wont be noticible until you get a grip like you normally do, then just release support hand. You'll see sights pop right because youve been over compensating with right hand to deal with left.... or im just drunk. Either way its a win!

As far as the shield goes, I have one also in .40 and believe me it needs a nice trigger job. The trigger is horrid out of the box.

Fired from my HTC One with high capacity storage

Keep your sights on the target until the shot breaks. it is the only thing that matters
Yes, though be aware heavy MA triggers amplify the need for practice/skill in avoiding consistent low-left-itis.

If you are good with a double-action revolver, then you'll have no trouble with a 12lb MA atrocity. For newer shooters, getting a more reasonable weight trigger will help enormously, but ultimately you do need to develop your skill such that trigger weight does not matter.

Sort of like learning to run a marathon with a tire chained to your waist...

Same here, and no clue why. Sold my Glock before moving to mass 10+ years ago. Picked one up not too long ago and everything was low and to the left. Switched back to a DA/SA gun, no problem, back to the Glock, low and left. I got past it with multiple types of practice, but it still sneaks up on me every now and then.

Thats the fix, I need to buy a 1911. I always wanted one anyways

Low left with a G19? You don't say!

Did you just switch from an other style of pistol? My fiance and I experienced the same thing when we took up shooting Glocks exclusively. Neither of us are terrible shots, and this was very frustrating. Practice is the only thing that is going to fix it, dry fire the gun to death and when you get to the range be very deliberate when you go through the steps of breaking the shot. You will get it after a little while.

I don't understand what this means?

putting too much finger onto the trigger.

imagine a pair of needle nose plyers - they squeeze at an angle, not like a wrench which squeezes with each side parallel.
you hand and finger is an anatomic plyer, not wrench.
getting finger positioned correctly will allow the squeeze to near approximate the wrench (i.e. parralel) and thus help keep the sights aligned during squeeze especially around trigger break.

those who are advising to just keep the sights aligned during the squeeze are basically saying the same thing as me....i'm just putting more specific suggestion w it.

this is another reason everyone likes 1911 SA triggers - because you can use any part of your finger and get good shots since the travel is so short. longer travel triggers require better trigger finger positioning. i used to shoot low-left too until i trained myself to use the DIP joint on my finger (look it up).

May sound simplistic, but all I do when this happens to me is to remind myself that once sights are aligned, don't move anything except your trigger finger. If I focus on isolating just the movement of the trigger pull, it seems to correct this pretty quickly. Also, make sure the pull is straight back and that you're not 'jerking' the gun with the pull itself.

Back
Top Bottom