Shooting long range in mass any spots?

Guys I am picking up a new Rem 700 SPS in .308 does anyone know of land outside of the boston area where it is legal and safe shoot IE no homes or people for a few miles.

The longest range is in the plymouth area out to 300yds. I was looking for a area 500 yds or more 1K would be great which would be public land outside city limits.

Thanks

I think Reading Rifle has a 600 yard range. That's pretty much the longest
in MA. (and possibly, most of new england... ) Most of the rest in the state are 300 or less.

-Mike

Wow thanks a lot guys. I didn't even know they had 600 yds around here. Are they a paid memebership club? Know what i cost to join?

Wow thanks a lot guys. I didn't even know they had 600 yds around here. Are they a paid memebership club? Know what i cost to join?

I believe there are threads in the rifle competition and/or gun club sections of the forum regarding the club.

I don't know if they are actively accepting applications. I shot there for two years waiting to join and was never offered a chance to buy a membership.

You can shoot there at any of the matches in the summer.

I think Pelham Fish and Game is building a 650 yard range too. Not sure when it will be complete.

I don't know if they are actively accepting applications. I shot there for two years waiting to join and was never offered a chance to buy a membership.

Derek I wouldn't join. I talked to the highpower guy who runs it up there by email. He said they offer 4 matches you can shoot scope with they start back up in april/may so it wouldn't be worth joining for me. Just the fact you can just pay to shoot the match and get some time shooting long range is good for me.

Not to hijack the thread but I was looking at the website and the Photo section...there appears to be a very familiar face in one from 2005(?) that seems to have just received an award of some sort pinned on his shirt?!? [wink]

Anybody we know? Sure looks familiar?

Last edited:
Not to hijack the thread but I was looking at the website and the Photo section...there appears to be a very familiar face in one from 2005(?) that seems to have just received an award of some sort pinned on his shirt?!? [wink]

Anybody we know? Sure looks familiar?

Why does the soldier walking away look so pissed? [rofl]

Albany, NY is closest 1000 yard range in New England.
http://www.forbesrifleandpistolclub.org/

there's a 1000yd "range" @ (cant remember which) either Ft. Deven's, or Hanscom AFB....but it's INCREDIBLY restricted. IE, you know someone WAY high up who gets you access. chances are the only time you'll ever be able to use it is mid week, early in the morning, and even then, it can be closed off at will due to training requirements of other gov't agencies.

but yea, Reading has a 600yd range. Pelham is definitely building one, and doesnt Nashua F&G have a 600 yard range as well?

There is no long range at Hanscomb that I know of. Ft Devens has a 600 yard KD range and a field fire range that has about 850 yards.

B

Doesn't Hotel range at Devens go out to 1000 meters?

im not familiar with hotel range on devens but i looked it up on google earth and a DOD impact map of the base.
hotel range appears to be about 950 meters long. the actual range looks like its broken into several 300-400 yard pieces, or it was used as a indirect fire range (although it looks super narrow for that).
it appears to be overgrown, and has a large patch of trees directly in the middle of the range. the north east side of the range is 30 meters lower then the south west side.
SF might use it, i know they use a bunch of ranges that we were allowed to use though.

devens also has another large range called Curry. it looks to be about 700 meters long, and looks like its either heavy scrub or trees. ive never seen or been in this range either.

When I was at Hotel range, it had man-shaped popup reactive targets every 100m. I thought it went out to 1000m. It was really cool to use.

When I was at Hotel range, it had man-shaped popup reactive targets every 100m. I thought it went out to 1000m. It was really cool to use.

it might be, i didnt use a ruler on the actual Devens map, i cant find it. i did it online through a DoD map with no legend and used google earth with a range finder to determin it. it doesnt look like its 1,000 though, the extreme point to point on its about 950 max, and usualy they dont put targets right up aganst the end of the range, sometimes they do though who knows. if youve been to the range youll know more then i can take off a map. it looks like a pain in the ass to shoot in though.

I don't remember how far out it went. I didn't have optics, so I was only shooting out to 300 meters at the time. It was actually a very fun range to use. No pain here. Limited positions, however -- less than 10 IIRC. Unlike Golf which had what, 50 positions?

It's been a lot of years, and I can't remember exactly what range it is, but I assume that it is this one.

B

I don't remember how far out it went. I didn't have optics, so I was only shooting out to 300 meters at the time. It was actually a very fun range to use. No pain here. Limited positions, however -- less than 10 IIRC. Unlike Golf which had what, 50 positions?

Golf is large. we used it for M203 practice in 2004. its about 400 meters deep and about 75ish wide.

im looking up what hotel range was for.. it doesnt appear to be a rifle range.
it says here it was used for 20mm automatic cannons and rifle grenade practice. it also says it was used to destroy UXO, and EOD used it. it also says its contaminated...

are you sure you shot at that range? it seems like its filled with UXO, and is a health hazard. it doesnt look like its maintained at all from google earth also.

devens.jpg

Hotel.jpg

the range is less then 1k meters from one extreme end to the other.
there are 4 6 foot deep circles in what would appear to be a firing line, or UXO pits but it would make it about 850-900 meters to the other extreme side of the range.

Golf is large. we used it for M203 practice in 2004. its about 400 meters deep and about 75ish wide.

im looking up what hotel range was for.. it doesnt appear to be a rifle range.
it says here it was used for 20mm automatic cannons and rifle grenade practice. it also says it was used to destroy UXO, and EOD used it. it also says its contaminated...

are you sure you shot at that range? it seems like its filled with UXO, and is a health hazard. it doesnt look like its maintained at all from google earth also.

That range had a UXO pit to the left side (DELTA). There used to be two bunkers constructed from telephone poles were UXO was detonated by the 14th Ordnance. The area also had an area about 200 yards long... Don't ask why I know about that range..[wink]

Looking at the Google Earth map, I see whats left of the M35 trucks and M113's, but the water tank is gone in the impact area.

It has been many years since I have been in Zone I, Zone II, and Zone III... Those day's are long gone.

Last edited:
That map helps a lot. Yeah the one to the right of the KD range is a machine gun range if I remember correctly. I didn't think they had firing lines all the way back where the road loops around but I could be wrong. Isn't there a tower on on that range?

I use to have a range control document that told you what everything was.

B

BTW, ARLOW, if you shoot that direction, you would be shooting down the firing line. [rofl]

Yea, it was definitely Hotel that I shot at. The 4 circles at the firing line were firing positions. They were covered with plywood when I was there.

Also, Golf went to 600 yards. I shot several high power rifle competitions on Golf.

CHARLIE and ALFA was a SAW range back in early 1990's, The ranges were short, but had a berm of about 40' tall.

If I recall OSCAR was the 81MM Mortar range..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom