• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shooting: Licensed Friend From NH - I'm in MA

As the title says, I'm in MA & I've got a shooting buddy in NH.
He does not have a non-resident MA license, but does have a NH License. Also I don't have a NH non-res.

1) Am I to assume that he can not bring his firearms into MA for a day at the range?

2)Can I pick him up & then we go to the range (since they'd be in MY possession), assuming they are MA compliant.

3)Should we only use my firearms at a MA range?

4)Should we go to a public range in NH (ugh) & we're both fine - I just can't CCW (need to get on that, i know).

Thanks.

1) Am I to assume that he can not bring his firearms into MA for a day at the range?
2)Can I pick him up & then we go to the range (since they'd be in MY possession), assuming they are MA compliant.
3)Should we only use my firearms at a MA range?
4)Should we go to a public range in NH (ugh) & we're both fine - I just can't CCW (need to get on that, i know).

1. He can only transport "non-large capacity" long-guns into MA.
2. Yes, assuming all firearms, and magazines, are AWB compliant.
3. See previous answer.
4. Without a NH P&R license:
a. No concealed carry
b. No loaded firearm in vehicles.​

1. He can only transport "non-large capacity" long-guns into MA.
2. Yes, assuming all firearms, and magazines, are AWB compliant.
3. See previous answer.
4. Without a NH P&R license:
a. No concealed carry
b. No loaded firearm in vehicles.​

Thanks.
Since he is a new shooter & has a Ruger Mark III.
I think we'll be all set, but want to make sure we don't run into any issues.

Mark III is a pistol.

OP would have to go to NH and transport NH guy with the gun to the Mass range, so that NH guy is not unlawfully possessing a "firearm" ( in the Mass legal terminology, i.e. a handgun).

If he had a long gun, he could do it on his own, as Kevlar stated.

So a MA-unlicensed cannot drive through MA (say moving from CT to NH) with his unloaded pistol in the trunk?
No, not correct. That's an entirely different situation.

Travelling through is protected by the Firearms Owners Protection Act (FOPA) of 1986. It says that if your guns are unloaded and secured in the trunk, you may pass through a jurisdiction where they (or your possession of them) would be illegal, as long as they're legal at your point of origin and at your destination.

Thanks for the clarification. Then, I take it the difference is you have to enter/exit the state without accessing your firearms? i.e., there are no legal ranges or preserves in MA that could function as the origin/destination.

Thanks for the clarification. Then, I take it the difference is you have to enter/exit the state without accessing your firearms? i.e., there are no legal ranges or preserves in MA that could function as the origin/destination.

FOPA does NOT allow you to "delay yourself" in states where you wouldn't be legal to possess the gun.

So, no, you drive straight thru MA, do not stop for anything other than gas, bathroom or quick meal (NOT meeting friends/relatives along the way either).

Back
Top Bottom