Shooting in the rain?

Ask Barry Pepper. How many Germans did he take out. Left-handed with a RH bolt-action rifle, no less!

tumblr_mx91m0D6dr1stemlno1_r1_250.gif

Im asking because at the 3gun at pemi on sunday i had some problems with the long distance targets. My fault, i fine tuned my ar at 100yds with my hoser ammo and assumed my 69gr smk's would be fine with the usual hold over. I shot nice groups just to the right of the targets beyond 200yds. I have time today to do some 200yd shooting. Also, i have been getting some exciting results with my ar9. Ive been experimenting with different buffer sustems that i have dreamed up.

Ask Barry Pepper. How many Germans did he take out. Left-handed with a RH bolt-action rifle, no less!

tumblr_mx91m0D6dr1stemlno1_r1_250.gif

I've shot right handed rifles left handed all my life, its not a big deal. The military doesn't issue left handed rifles that
I know of either unless its done in special units.....the rest get a standard right hand ejecting rifle.

Shot the same in the Army on qual days in the rain as I did when it was sunny. Didnt notice any difference on the zero range. Could usually knock down the 300 meter pop up silhouettes, regardless of conditions, about 75% of the time with iron sights.

Last edited:
It actually mostly depends on the caliber/distance you're shooting as to whether or not it will actually effect your POI.

At 200yds and under, there's not much that's going to effect any centerfire rifle caliber ammunition...but beyond that (at least with most calibers used in 3 gun) and especially out to the effective range of your caliber/bullet weight of ammunition is where you have to start to think about things like wind, precipitation, temperature, etc.

Assuming most 3 gun targets probably aren't MUCH beyond 200yds, there probably shouldn't have been much of a noticeable difference due to the precipitation.

I will throw this out there, for some strange reason I shoot my rifle the best in the rain. Not sure if it is a result of the calming sound of the raindrops, or because no one else is around due to the downpours. Either way, the heavier the rain, the better.

Did my firearms instructor qualifications in a monsoon, no one had a problem.
Prone in water gives a very “damp” experience for rest of day

Back
Top Bottom