• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shooting Gloves

yeah, i use the plain old regular operator style ones cause my knuckles were getting busted on the trigger guard of my 3" m29 .44. had 'em a few years now, they're dirty, but still going strong. i wear them while shooting in the winter too.
A19Jt89bhEL._SL1500_.jpg

Golf gloves
yeah, that's an idea, but golf gloves were real leather. leather sucks when it gets wet, then dries stiff and sometimes shrinks. i think, and it's personal choice, nothing more, the nomex that bigpick mentioned or the mechanix are a better choice for shooting. get 'em damp or wet they're still usable, they dry quickly and are in the same shape as when you began before they got wet. there's a reason the military...and real operators, aren't issued golf gloves. ever see a navy seal in golf gloves outside of the links?

yeah, that's an idea, but golf gloves were real leather. leather sucks when it gets wet, then dries stiff and sometimes shrinks. i think, and it's personal choice, nothing more, the nomex that bigpick mentioned or the mechanix are a better choice for shooting. get 'em damp or wet they're still usable, they dry quickly and are in the same shape as when you began before they got wet. there's a reason the military...and real operators, aren't issued golf gloves. ever see a navy seal in golf gloves outside of the links?

Yeah I don’t know. I don’t use gloves while shooting. Only time I do is in winter when I’m shooting trap. Winter golf gloves were recommended and they’ve been a great addition to my gear.

I use baseball/batting gloves sometimes. Comfy, snug, a little palm padding. Found they work well while riding also, dexterity and "feel" for controls, etc. I cut the tip off the index finger so they work on touch-screen smart phones for map & music use.

When I was shooting hard recoiling handguns I used to use bike gloves. Well padded in the palm and no fingers to affect thumb or finger dexterity.

PIG Gloves Alpha
They are pricey but I really need full dexterity out of my gloves. I use them for shooting as well as work/yard work/working on my vehicles.
I usually wear a size large but get the size medium of these guys and they are super tight and I have excellent feel and dexterity with them, YMMV.
Be advised they are not super durable if you are beating on them doing stupid stuff with them like I do, tree work, mechanical work, etc.
I usually wait for a sale and buy a pair or two.
They also have the PIG Glove Delta that doesn't have the Velcro and is a little thinner and cheaper. Still a good glove.

[rofl]

Knob just get rid of the 10mm and get a 40. I hear that will solve the problem.

I do like my mechanix gloves while upland hunting though. Can’t say I’ve ever used them at the range.

When I was shooting hard recoiling handguns I used to use bike gloves. Well padded in the palm and no fingers to affect thumb or finger dexterity.

Never saw the benefit of gloves without complete coverage of the fingers.

The only time I ever use gloves while shooting is with a 1919 where things get really hot and protection of all parts of the hand are necessary.

Carpenters/Framing gloves are nice because the index finger tip is cut out.

Mechanix makes a thin glove that I like better than their regular version.

I only wear them in the cold/winter though.

I’ve starting using horseback riding gloves. My daughter rides dressage and I noticed that her gloves were perfect for shooting. They tend to be tight fitting and are available in both summer and winter weight. The nice part is the first and second fingers on the good ones have extremely fine seams and use very fine leather so that you can feel the reins. Means that your trigger finger has excellent feel, almost like no glove at all.

I’ve starting using horseback riding gloves. My daughter rides dressage and I noticed that her gloves were perfect for shooting. They tend to be tight fitting and are available in both summer and winter weight. The nice part is the first and second fingers on the good ones have extremely fine seams and use very fine leather so that you can feel the reins. Means that your trigger finger has excellent feel, almost like no glove at all.

I know the outfit must get compliments on the firing line, but does the top hat make it awkward to get a cheek weld on a rifle with optics?

yLQulBv_d.jpg

:emoji_tiger:

yeah, i use the plain old regular operator style ones cause my knuckles were getting busted on the trigger guard of my 3" m29 .44. had 'em a few years now, they're dirty, but still going strong. i wear them while shooting in the winter too.
A19Jt89bhEL._SL1500_.jpg

These bad boys right here. I'm on my 3rd pair. The first pair is still going strong and I use them as work gloves for general work. Second pair I actually wore a hole in one of the fingers, but they're still serviceable if I need a pair of shooting gloves and can't find the ones I regularly use.

This what my Wife bought at one of the late Monadnock Shoots and Ibought a pair from Azn shortly after (my Wife had bought his last pair in our size).
Amazon.com: Condor Men's HK228 Shooter Glove: Sports & Outdoors

They work great.

I had searched cop-shop offerings and not found anything that I wanted to trust with my finger in a trigger guard. I do trust these Condor gloves.

PIG Gloves Alpha
They are pricey but I really need full dexterity out of my gloves. I use them for shooting as well as work/yard work/working on my vehicles.
I usually wear a size large but get the size medium of these guys and they are super tight and I have excellent feel and dexterity with them, YMMV.
Be advised they are not super durable if you are beating on them doing stupid stuff with them like I do, tree work, mechanical work, etc.
I usually wait for a sale and buy a pair or two.
They also have the PIG Glove Delta that doesn't have the Velcro and is a little thinner and cheaper. Still a good glove.

I tore through 2 pairs of PIG gloves, while very good and tight fitting, they are not the most durable. Now I have a pair of Mechanix Fastfits in my range bag, in my glove box, in the inside pocket of my Carhart, and hanging up next to my go bag. They are cheap enough that I don't care if they get ruined, and easily replaceable. However, I don't really use gloves for shooting, they are more for taking the sting of the cold wind off my hands in the winter, and the once or twice I hammer on my AK in the summer because that rifle gets hot.

The only time I ever use gloves for shooting is during hunting in the frigid months. I tried using gloves for an IDPA match once, in Winter. They got in the way more than anything else, so nowadays if I'm shooting competitions out in the cold weather I just keep my hands warm best I can between shooting/ taping/ resetting targets and so forth.

Back
Top Bottom