• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Try these, they are really comfortable, and low key.

S25601-Close-Encounter-Alien-Glasses-main.jpg

@BWhite

Thanks on the heads up for the RE's. I'm gonna probably pick up a set of aviators with the polarized polycarbonate lenses.

One set of outdoor shooting glasses/sunglasses. I'll just need to worry about indoors now.

@Sibb

Hilarious!

Just get perscription ones. Unless you spring for glass lenses, you should be ok. But ask the optomitrist to be sure. It is what I did for year before I got my eye corrected.

Is this what you are looking for, but maybe in a different color?

shooting-glasses2aa.jpg

http://www.babylonvillage.com/shooting_glasses/

I was looking at the RE Concord style but get the polycarbonate lenses, which are the same as the RE shooting glasses you posted.

I'm thinking of doing contacts though for correction. But, mind you, my prescription is really light and I really only 'need' it for driving at night. I lost my glasses a year ago and I've been fine without.

Last edited:
I use these. They look funny on me (I think all sunglasses and glasses in general look funny on me) and I like them. Its a plus that they can withstand a shot of bird shot to them...

fpo_productLarge_crossbow.jpg

ESS Crossbow. They are $110 with three lenses (smoke, clear and yellow) that are interchangeable and come with a nice little carrying case for keeping them in the range bag.
http://www.esseyepro.com/crossbow
http://www.esseyepro.com/uploads/ESS_Crossbow_APEL_Tech_Data.pdf

They have a RX lens carrier that attaches too if you want, I bought the carrier and then decided I was just going to get contacts for making things easier and still have the RX lens carrier, if you went with them I could sell you the carrier for cheaper than new, never user.

I'm thinking of doing contacts though for correction. But, mind you, my prescription is really light and I really only 'need' it for driving at night. I lost my glasses a year ago and I've been fine without.

I went the route of contacts also and have been very happy. I only need them for distances and also have a light prescription (L: -1, R: -.5).

I use these. They look funny on me (I think all sunglasses and glasses in general look funny on me) and I like them. Its a plus that they can withstand a shot of bird shot to them...

They have a RX lens carrier that attaches too if you want, I bought the carrier and then decided I was just going to get contacts for making things easier and still have the RX lens carrier, if you went with them I could sell you the carrier for cheaper than new, never user.

Those would be good if I was hunting with Dick Cheney [wink]

Unfortunately, those types of glasses don't fit my head really well. I have an unnaturally wide face near the eyes. If they do fit, it's usually really tight (any oakley puts me in pain). Aviators are the only thing that works with my face shape, and they usually end up bent out after a year because of my large head. It's just cause I have a bigger brain than most. [laugh]

@BE4TNUT

That's practically my RX.

Randolph Engineering can set you up with almost anything you want. The offer several frame sizes and styles and various temple styles and lengths. Not to mention almost any lens color you can imagine. If you are nearby you can go directly to the factory in Randolph, MA. and the are very willing to set up a custom pair for you to try out. They are not cheap, but you do get what you pay for.

Randolph Engineering can set you up with almost anything you want. The offer several frame sizes and styles and various temple styles and lengths. Not to mention almost any lens color you can imagine. If you are nearby you can go directly to the factory in Randolph, MA. and the are very willing to set up a custom pair for you to try out. They are not cheap, but you do get what you pay for.

I got the widest available without going custom . I might see if they could modify what I have to fit my big pumpkin head . Maybe new frame to fit their lenses I already have .

Not sure where you live, but Premier Optical in Worcester on Lincoln Street can either get or make something you'll like.

I'm not positive, but don't these Radians, the ESS Crossbow, Oakley's and the others fit the description of "make you look like an alien" he is trying to avoid?

I got a couple of pairs of Radians recently and am pretty happy with them. One thing I definitely like about them is that they're very adjustable but not super ugly. They come in a number of different color lenses too (and they're super cheap).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F7R47U/ref=oss_product

That said, free shipping if there are 3 or more ordered. Maybe enough people here who live close enough together could go in on a group buy.
$10.36 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details

I don't think this would work for me, as I have prescription glasses or prescription sunglasses I use.

I'm not positive, but don't these Radians, the ESS Crossbow, Oakley's and the others fit the description of "make you look like an alien" he is trying to avoid?
That said, free shipping if there are 3 or more ordered. Maybe enough people here who live close enough together could go in on a group buy.
I don't think this would work for me, as I have prescription glasses or prescription sunglasses I use.

I was going off his amended description of why he's looking for aviator frames (his facial structure and head size). The Radians are size adjustable, so it's posssibly that they wouldn't be as painful for him.

Or get your eyes lasered. Can't believe it took me so long to do it.

Geting laser corrected vision doesn't do anything to help preserve that vision from flying debris.

To the OP, yes, its that simple. Safety glasses can be made to your Rx.....but unless you get side protection, they will not offer the protection that regular industrial type Z-87 or Z89 safety glasse swith side shields do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rudy Project. I just picked them up with a 6 pack of lenses. I use a RX insert and it works perfect. I got lenses for when I'm shooting, plus when I'm out on the water fishing.

Back
Top Bottom