• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shooting demonstration hurts 16

M1911

NES Member
Goodness, gracious!

PARIS, France (AP) -- A military shooting demonstration in southeast France on Sunday left 16 people wounded, including children, when real bullets were used instead of blank ones, officials said.

Four of the wounded were in serious condition, including a 3-year-old child, Bernard Lemaire, chief of the regional administration in Aude, said on France-3 television. Fifteen of the injured were civilians.

A Defense Ministry official said the incident occurred during a demonstration of hostage-freeing techniques at the Laperrine military barracks. The official said investigators will look into why real bullets were used.

No information was immediately available about what kind of weapon was used.

The soldier who fired the shots has been detained, Lemaire said. He said the injuries were likely an accident but that it could have been a "criminal act."

In a statement, President Nicolas Sarkozy expressed his "horror" at Sunday's incident at the base, which houses the 3rd marine infantry parachute regiment.

The injured were taken to nearby hospitals, with the most seriously wounded taken to Toulouse.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/06/29/france.shooting.demo.ap/index.html

Cue the barrage of French army jokes...

In all seriousness though, what happened to "treat every gun as if it were loaded, always" and "always point the barrel in a safe direction"? You'd think a military performing in front of civilians would be smarter than that. Hopefully everyone hurt from this tragedy will come through with their lives intact.

Well at least now the French have at least ONE veteran with live fire experience!
[rofl] I know a ton of french jokes but I will refrain.

What a bunch of stupid soldiers they shoot 16 of there own citizens by accident,why dont they try pointing there gun in a safe direction.

Universal Laws of Gun Safety

1. The gun is always loaded!
2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy!
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target!1
4. Always be sure of your target and what's beyond it!

Obviously, the French can't read English!

Ok... putting aside the fact that the jackass is a moron and didnt personally comfirm that e had blanks, pointed the gun at others and managed to shoot 16 people...

I wonder... at what point did he realize that they where not blanks... i mean a normal person would figure it out after say... the first... maybe the second shot...

freaking french... this is why they never use their guns...

Doesn't say anyone died yet. They're pretty bad shots. Probably those rusty unused barrels....

But seriously, don't point at anything you don't want to destroy.

It's amazing how some people can get pretty dumb when it comes to simple gun safety rules. I was at a pretty well known range/store yesterday and watched one of the kids behind the counter (one I'm pretty sure is a range master, too) casually swinging around and dry firing a 2" hammerless revolver at calf level while making "dance!" jokes. Not cool.

So I'm to understand that the French train to free hostages by shooting them? Someone remind me (should I ever be stupid enough to visit France) to disguise myself as a terrorist beforehand. [rolleyes]

Ken

So I'm to understand that the French train to free hostages by shooting them? Someone remind me (should I ever be stupid enough to visit France) to disguise myself as a terrorist beforehand. [rolleyes]

That will probably expedite your passage through security and customs as well.

if it was the french military then they would of been using the FAMAS G2 (i dont know were the poster that said he had 10 rounds got that information, it wasnt in the article)

they would of had to use a blank adapter for the weapon to cycle blanks correctly (unless they were manualy charging each round into the rifle which i would think is unlikly during a demonstration). im not sure how french BFA's attach to their rifles, but i know if you shot one on a AR15 style rifle with a live round youd blow the end of your barrel apart. blanks and live rounds dont feel the same when fired, nor do they sound the same. they look totally different then live rounds and they are lighter. the person firing the weapon should of looked at the magazine before putting it in the weapon (duh).

talk about bad training. lots of negligence!

it was the corrupt leaders that did in france.the soldiers were always very good and brave.
study history.[rolleyes]

I did.

Which is how I know that France folded after less than 6 weeks.

And that the entire French fleet at Toulon was scuttled by the crews so that they would not have to fight.

And that another fleet refused to either:

1. JOIN the British or

2. Come out of the harbor and FIGHT them;

and was stunned when the British shelled them into scrap iron.

And that 1/3 of the country cooperated with the Nazis, about the same percentage that opposed them.

And that French officials actively aided the Nazis in the persecution of the Jews, providing names and addresses.

Then there were those subsequent episodes of Gallic achievement, the back-to-back expulsions from Viet Nam and Algiers.

Here endeth the lesson. [rolleyes]

1. The gun is always loaded!
2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy!
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target!
4. Always be sure of your target and what's beyond it!

Obviously, the French can't read English!

They are not used to real bullets: Thus #1 and #2 do not apply.
[smile]

I did.

Which is how I know that France folded after less than 6 weeks.

And that the entire French fleet at Toulon was scuttled by the crews so that they would not have to fight.

And that another fleet refused to either:

1. JOIN the British or

2. Come out of the harbor and FIGHT them;

and was stunned when the British shelled them into scrap iron.

And that 1/3 of the country cooperated with the Nazis, about the same percentage that opposed them.

And that French officials actively aided the Nazis in the persecution of the Jews, providing names and addresses.

Then there were those subsequent episodes of Gallic achievement, the back-to-back expulsions from Viet Nam and Algiers.

Here endeth the lesson. [rolleyes]

well sure we all know the french didnt do to well during the war, but that doesnt mean in the current world they are still garbage.

I know a guy who made a joke in front of the french army recently and it didnt go down to well, even though the joke was pretty funny. it was "why are all the roads leading from germany into france lined with trees?" and the answer is "the germans dont like to march in the sun".
heh, pretty pissed off french soldiers.

at least they fought in the war. some countires like Sweden and the swiss didnt even get involved in it.

and scriv, if you were never in the military (i didnt see your name on the serive type poll) then you are in absoltly no position to judge something that you never were, a soldier/marine/airman/sailer. real easy to sit on the sideline and critiq' subjects that you were never even involved with. correct me if im wrong.
(bracing myself for the reply, myself quoted and the word "[sic]" scattered throughout. im not even going to work on any typos, that way you can point them all out for us)

Last edited:
well sure we all know the French didn't do too well during the war, but that doesn't mean in the current world they are still garbage.

I know a guy who made a joke in front of the french army recently and it didnt go down too well, even though the joke was pretty funny. it was "why are all the roads leading from Germany into France lined with trees?" and the answer is "the Germans don't like to march in the sun".
heh, pretty pissed off French soldiers.

At least they fought in the war. some countires [sic] like Sweden and the Swiss didn't even get involved in it.

And Scriv, if you were never in the military (i didnt see your name on the serive [sic] type poll) then you are in absoltly [sic] no position to judge something that you never were, a soldier/marine/airman/sailer [sic]. Real easy to sit on the sideline and critiq' [sic] subjects that you were never even involved with. Correct me if I'm wrong.
(bracing myself for the reply, myself quoted and the word "[sic]" scattered throughout. I'm not even going to work on any typos, that way you can point them all out for us)

More likely, you lack the acumen and courtesy to actually attempt spelling, still less punctuation.

As for your absurd assertion that one cannot even comprehend, still less critique, anything not personally experienced, your premise wholly negates the concept of learning from others. Then again, that might explain the level of your posts. [rolleyes]

Note that the French were flattened in 3 straight sets and collapsed quickly and utterly in 2 of them.

Note also that the Swiss were, unlike the French, never invaded. Neither was Sweden.

However, each profited from the war, particularly Switzerland.

well sure we all know the French didn't do too well during the war, but that doesn't mean in the current world they are still garbage.

I know a guy who made a joke in front of the french army recently and it didnt go down too well, even though the joke was pretty funny. it was "why are all the roads leading from Germany into France lined with trees?" and the answer is "the Germans don't like to march in the sun".
heh, pretty pissed off French soldiers.

At least they fought in the war. some countires [sic] like Sweden and the Swiss didn't even get involved in it.

And Scriv, if you were never in the military (i didnt see your name on the serive [sic] type poll) then you are in absoltly [sic] no position to judge something that you never were, a soldier/marine/airman/sailer [sic]. Real easy to sit on the sideline and critiq' [sic] subjects that you were never even involved with. Correct me if I'm wrong.
(bracing myself for the reply, myself quoted and the word "[sic]" scattered throughout. I'm not even going to work on any typos, that way you can point them all out for us)

More likely, you lack the acumen and courtesy to actually attempt spelling, still less punctuation.

As for your absurd assertion that one cannot even comprehend, still less critique, anything not personally experienced, your premise wholly negates the concept of learning from others. Then again, that might explain the level of your posts. [rolleyes]

Note that the French were flattened in 3 straight sets and collapsed quickly and utterly in 2 of them.

Note also that the Swiss were, unlike the French, never invaded. Neither was Sweden.

I put the corrections in bold, so you'd be able to identify the defects you ignored the first time.

It was an unfortunate accident that could have been avoided had the soldier involved been using the standard french military tactics.

Which is throw down your weapon and go running off screaming at the top of your lungs for someone to save you!

I put the corrections in bold, so you'd be able to identify the defects you ignored the first time.

nice double post bro! hey you came through just like i expected.

unlike you skriv, ive worrked with the sweadish militery and ive ben around the swis on ocasion. while talkin' about the war, 3 swedde kaptians i was talking with were embarassed by their countirez decisions not 2 fight. i asked around 2 the enlisted i was with and they shared the exact thing. but u wou'ldnt noe dat they could of regretted not getting involved, becuasse they dont show that on the history channel, rite?

the germans also ran logistics through sweden. the swedes didnt have a choice in the matter.

you must be low on material (as usual) if you have to resort to brining up the obvious poor quailty of my posts english grammar. im even harder to understand in person if you could believe it.

Back
Top Bottom